• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

Weinie said:
The Hall of Shame on their website is no longer accessible.

No worries, the interwebs never forgets; courtesy of the 'wayback machine'

https://web.archive.org/web/20200519030210/https://www.stolenvalour.ca/index.php/category/hall-of-shame/

Curious to see who these anonymous clowns are. If they can't be bothered to at least publically apologize they don't really have the integrity to do what they are claiming. And because they are anonymous, who knows if they even have any service time? Could be a bunch of walts themselves.

Oopsie ....
He served for more than three decades with the armed forces reserves and cadets. He was an honorary colonel of an air force wing and an honorary aide-de-camp to one of Quebec's lieutenant governors.

Now, Jean-Charles Perreault has been stripped of one of the military's highest honours after it was discovered that he had been wearing civilian public service medals he had never been awarded.

It is only the third time in the nearly 50-year history of the Order of Military Merit that a member has been expelled, said Derek Abma, spokesperson for the Department of National Defence.

Lynne Santerre, manager of public affairs for the governor general's office, said medals can only be worn by those who have received them.

"Captain (Retired) Jean-Charles Perreault's appointment to the Order of Military Merit was revoked on the grounds that he publicly wore medals which he had not been awarded, while serving as Honorary Colonel of 2 Wing Bagotville," she said.

Abma said Perreault was not authorized to wear the Canada Centennial Medal, the Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal, a second clasp on his Canadian Forces Decoration and a second bar on his Order of St. John Service Medal.

Perreault is entitled to wear other medals, including the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal he was awarded in 2002 ...

The article also references a recent backstory about a Capt who was charged for wearing four commemorative medals he wasn't untitled to.

Calgary man charged with weapons offences, impersonating a soldier​

Dave DormerCTVNewsCalgary.ca Digital Producer
@dave_dormer Contact
Published Thursday, July 22, 2021 9:16AM MDT

CALGARY -- A Calgary man accused of posing as an ex-military member and providing survivalist training under false credentials is now facing charges.

The investigation began in May after police were alerted about a man operating a firearms training, survival training, and women’s self-defence company called Sheep Dog Enterprises out of his southeast Calgary home.

"It is alleged that the man was in possession of several firearms, did not possess proper documentation nor licencing for firearms, and had not been involved with the military at any point," police said in a release.

"It is also believed that the man falsified documentation and deceived his way into veterans’ and law enforcement support groups."

Police obtained a search warrant and the man's home was searched on July 6, when several firearms were seized, along with multiple falsified documents, forged ID badges, and body armour.

Bradley Bell, 35, is charged with:

• One count of unlawful use of military uniforms or certificates
  • Three counts of possession of a firearm while unauthorized;
  • Three counts of careless use, storage, handling and transportation of a firearm;
  • Two counts of possession of stolen property under $5,000;
  • One count of possession of body armour without a valid permit, and;
  • Traffic Safety Act charges, including driving while unauthorized, driving without registration and driving while uninsured.
"We are still working to understand why Mr. Bell went to such lengths to represent himself as an ex-member of the Canadian military," said Sgt. Ben Lawson.

"Regardless of his motivation, we recognize that illegal possession and improper handling of firearms can have significant impacts on community safety."

Police say the investigation continues and further charges could be laid.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 403-266-1234 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
Calgary man charged with weapons offences, impersonating a soldier

In Manitoba it’s illegal to possess body armour if you are not in a security related field.
Other provinces have similar licensing schemes. The aim is to keep SBA out of the hands of gang bangers. We know how effective that has worked with guns....

Other provinces have similar licensing schemes. The aim is to keep SBA out of the hands of gang bangers. We know how effective that has worked with guns....
Another tool in the toolbox to go after the gang losers... Another thing that, if found, can help build towards a search warrant, or a search without warrant of a person’s immediately available possessions if a peace officer has reasonable grounds to believe they possess armour. It makes it just a bit harder for the gang members to feel safe pulling their crap, since it upz their chances of being detected. Lots of little stuff that adds up.

I think in Alberta you need a PAL to own body armour. Nova Scotia had a similar law pass but with a provincially issued license, but its coming into force was contingent on another law that was never passed.

Another tool in the toolbox to go after the gang losers... Another thing that, if found, can help build towards a search warrant, or a search without warrant of a person’s immediately available possessions if a peace officer has reasonable grounds to believe they possess armour. It makes it just a bit harder for the gang members to feel safe pulling their crap, since it upz their chances of being detected. Lots of little stuff that adds up.
My comment was to illustrate the reasoning behind the law (as you did, in greater detail) and to highlight how more laws don't work on the lawless. My second, somewhat sarcastic, point fell flat.

In addition to the usual occupations you'd expect to use SBA, some sport shooting officials and range staff wear SBA for protection from ricochets and bounce backs during action shooting competitions. It's more common in the US. I have, on occasion, wished I had SBA while training new club shooters.:eek:

My comment was to illustrate the reasoning behind the law (as you did, in greater detail) and to highlight how more laws don't work on the lawless. My second, somewhat sarcastic, point fell flat.

In addition to the usual occupations you'd expect to use SBA, some sport shooting officials and range staff wear SBA for protection from ricochets and bounce backs during action shooting competitions. It's more common in the US. I have, on occasion, wished I had SBA while training new club shooters.:eek:
Until the change in the law, a number of people used body armour on the range, to avoid a accident and staff on rental ranges commonly use it.

Doing a pyro demonstration on the ship, I had a young AB take the 37mm flare gun and point it at my chest from a distance of less than 3 feet.

When I had to re-do the pyro demo lecture a few weeks later, I wore a set of body armour. (no plates)

The Sea Training Staff were there for both lectures...and when they saw me pull on the CBA, they had to turn away to hide their laughter.

:)

It's mostly a bit. But he's also restoring a crackhouse in Buffalo, so there's that.

Back