• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Accommodations Facility at CFB Borden

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
t09c1dS.jpg

The new five-storey, 15,600 m2 accommodations facility will feature 350 modern sleeping quarters, common lounge areas, study areas, laundry rooms, storage, and office space. This project also includes parking for 300 vehicles and installing more bus stops to encourage the use of public transit. Considering new recruits spend approximately two-thirds of their time in residence, we expect this facility will not only improve students’ living spaces and their ability to study but, ultimately, the quality of life for both new recruits and seasoned personnel that study, train, and live on the base.

We awarded the $42-million construction contract for this facility in November 2020 to Corebuild Construction Ltd., of North York, Ontario. Construction started in March 2021, and we expect the facility will be completed in fall 2024.The construction contract includes an Indigenous benefits plan, meaning the contractor must ensure at least 5% of the contract value is directed toward employment, training, or other economic benefits for Indigenous peoples. We expect over 220 jobs will be sustained in the region during construction.

The new training quarters will be constructed to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver standards and will include a number of green features, like energy-efficient heating and cooling systems. By modernizing and improving the energy efficiency of defence infrastructure, we are supporting the needs of a modern military, while reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and saving on energy costs.

Bus stops? What base in Canada has public transport?
Kingston, for one. I used to take the bus to work when I was posted there. Kingston Transit had a bus route that went right through the base. But with respect to Borden, I was on course in Borden years ago, but I don't remember Barrie Transit going out that far. Not sure what buses they are talking about.

Barrie City Transit just announced that they will be reinstating their Borden service in August (I don't know when it stopped). Also, the Simcoe County 'Linx' system goes through Angus; maybe they'll change the route.

North Bay Transit goes through CFB North Bay.

I used to drive for the airport shuttle to Pearson and we were on the Base, a lot. Some of the shacks were looking pretty tired. If nothing else, a larger centralized building will save driving around looking for scattered and confusingly numbered buildings, at night.

On base?

There are bus stops outside all those bases. I am unaware of any municipal bus service actually on any base.
Edmonton Transit Service got me door to door to 1 CMBG HQ and 1 Svc Bn respectively. (Edit to Add: apparently it was shut down. But it was good while it lasted!)

Kingston Transit has stops all along Craftsman Blvd and into the PMQ Patch.

Ottawa Transit can get you to any part of CFSU(O) you need to get.

When we opened up the bases, we made some friends to help get our personnel to work. No complaints here.

Borden tried a bus route with barrie a few years ago but it didn't have enough ridership to be cost effective. I am glad they are getting new shacks in borden but if they want to improve quality of life they need to have things actually open on base.

Summer 2019 I was there on course for 2.5 months, every long weekend everything on base including the Jr Ranks was closed. So picture several hundred if not thousand reservists in base for the summer and on weekends they close every source of entertainment on base.

Yes quality if life is important to the CAF......

Last edited:
Summer 2019 I was there on course for 2.5 months, every long weekend everything on base including the Jr Ranks was closed. So picture several hundred if not thousand reservists in base for the summer and on weekends they close every source of entertainment on base.

happy tom hiddleston GIF

Borden tried a bus route with barrie a few years ago but it didn't have enough ridership to be cost effective. I am glad they are getting new shacks in borden but if they want to improve quality of life they need to have things actually open on base.

Borden is also a massive base and sprawls very far. I learned in 1999 to never go to Borden without a car.

@MilEME09 I was always amazed at how Borden empties on a Friday afternoon and turns into an almost ghost town.

I do love the base though. I know I'm in the minority here. But I have Skied close by, Gone to Wasaga Beach, Hunted and Fished the training Area and being the baseball fanatic I am I used to scoop up every free ticket to the Jays games when they would come in. To me its got allot of what I like to do.

Is this new barracks for a particular school ? Or will it encompass all the schools ?

Where exactly on the base is this going up? As noted before, Borden's quite the sprawl. Is it on the south side by CFSATE, the centre part by CFLTC or the north side by CFMPA?

If it's where I heard it was going a couple years back the site is the open field on the south side of the outdoor soccer fields. Near the new RCEME school, but I can easily be wrong here.

If it's where I heard it was going a couple years back the site is the open field on the south side of the outdoor soccer fields. Near the new RCEME school, but I can easily be wrong here.

That's good. When I went to CFSAL in the late 1980s, there were new temp residence blocks close to the school building and that area's pretty crowded as is.

Back