• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secure The Future
Canada's Recovery Plan

1) Secure jobs - 1,000,000 in one year;
2) Secure government accountability - by strengthening laws;
3) Secure mental health with extensive mental health programs;
4) Secure the country with domestic vaccines and PPEs, overhaul national stockpiles; and
5) Secure economy - get us back to fiscal stability in 10 years

🍻

Last edited:
We cannot ignore climate change. The debate is over. But we can't have a Green Future without jobs. We will scrap the Carbon Tax on working Canadians but we must have a credible alternative. We will have a serious, comprehensive plan.

🍻

All in all a good speech well delivered.

It'll be interesting to see how CBC treats it.

🍻

Secure The Future
Canada's Recovery Plan

4) Secure the country with domestic vaccines and PPEs, overhaul national stockpiles; and

🍻

1. Federal job creation has doubled unemployment in the Atlantic provinces over the past 50 years.

2. I oppose legislation, mostly, as there needs to be culling, streamlining and updating of extant legislation - making a new law incurs compliance costs, and generally such actions do not look for overlap or fix current problems.

3. Mental health is a great sound bite, but there are not sufficient practitioners - and creating new ones falls into provincial responsibility.

4. So, the CPC favours state intervention and direction of the economy...

5. At last, something we can agree on.

1. Federal job creation has doubled unemployment in the Atlantic provinces over the past 50 years.

2. I oppose legislation, mostly, as there needs to be culling, streamlining and updating of extant legislation - making a new law incurs compliance costs, and generally such actions do not look for overlap or fix current problems.

3. Mental health is a great sound bite, but there are not sufficient practitioners - and creating new ones falls into provincial responsibility.

4. So, the CPC favours state intervention and direction of the economy...

5. At last, something we can agree on.
Any attempt to enable job creation in the Atlantic provinces has led to a bunch of slovenly, lazy, and opportunistic Maritimers to game the system for 50 years and suck on the federal teat. I am from there, and have seen first hand how relatives and friends have shamelessly extorted federal largesse. Every time I visit, I generally last about two days before I roundly and routinely berate the phat phucks, including in my own family, who are completely cognizant and aware of their "entitlements" and have no qualms or conscience about seeking/receiving these entitlements. (Notwithstanding my criticism and their pushback, they keep inviting me back, maybe because I host an all you can eat lobster dinner when I am down there..............:whistle:

The Atlantic provinces have become their own worst enemy, aided and abetted by a continuum of gov'ts who sought votes, rather than real/lasting economic solutions.

Last edited:
If you converted sought to bought, your last sentence would be slightly more accurate.

The anti-abortionists and far right of the CPC will be/are attempting to sway the policy discussions. Bringing the perceived "Liberal lite" MacKay back will exacerbate this divide and doom the CPC in the next election. They are likely doomed already. 338Canada shows the Liberals with a 5 to 9% lead today. Next week's polling numbers will be very telling.
What I find entertaining is there was no real difference between O’Toole and Mackay except that O’Toole played up the “angry white guy” and “true blue” schtick to tar and feather Mackay as a”Liberal Lite”. Then immediately after he won, he dialled it back and started talking about how moderate he was. While I and others who were paying attention knew this all along, most voters are confused and don’t trust him. He needs some real pros to help him out here. It’s too bad because I had high hopes for him.

Well the CPC convention passed numerous policy amendments/additions including:

1. recognizing and accepting unreservedly a social covenant as between the government and veterans;

2. streamlining defence procurement through a non-partisan committee of Parliamentarians similar to Australia;

3. supporting small modular nuclear reactors;

4. getting tough with the Chinese Communist Party;

On the other hand it rejected amendments/additions to:

1. recognize that climate change is real and that the party is willing to act;

2. restrict the extension of limitations on euthanasia;

🍻

So, in order to streamline defence purchasing, it would have to go through another set of hurdles filled with partisan hacks. Forgive me for not thinking that's a good thing...

Best done by getting out of the way.

Vague bullsh!t. Spell out what is to made publicly accessible.

A hole into which money can be poured indefinitely as the definition of "secure mental health" expands.

Fight the last war.

Do-able. See "way, getting out of the".

recognize that climate change is real and that the party is willing to act

First need to define what is meant by "climate change is real".

The literal interpretation is trivially true, and we (humanity) already continuously adapt to changing climate. No special action needed.

But some people read "climate change" as "imminent emergency requiring broad powers and vast expenditures".

Until the definition and expectations are expressed in much greater detail, refusing an ill-defined and open-ended commitment to is the prudent course of action.

So, in order to streamline defence purchasing, it would have to go through another set of hurdles filled with partisan hacks. Forgive me for not thinking that's a good thing...
This.

What Australia has that Canada doesn’t, is a
multi-year AND non-partisan approach to have a truly capable armed forces that supports the nation’s honest (not vapid virtue signaling) view
of demonstrating leadership in the region.

Australia’s non-partisan parliamentary Defence committee isn’t a weak deferral of responsibility to a body of senior bureaucrats under the guise of a ‘Defence Procurement Strategy’ which is just a euphemism for back-scene procurement Kabuki by the ruling politicians of the day.

Australia’s non-partisan parliamentary Defence committee isn’t a weak deferral of responsibility to a body of senior bureaucrats under the guise of a ‘Defence Procurement Strategy’ which is just a euphemism for back-scene procurement Kabuki by the ruling politicians of the day.

Remember, unlike a former boss of mine, when describing that behaviour that it's Kabuki, not Bukkake.

This.

multi-year AND non-partisan approach to have a truly capable armed forces that supports the nation’s honest (not vapid virtue signaling) view

If the CPC intends on getting rid of all the the other procurement hurdles (Industry Canada; regional development agencies) and have an agency soley focussed on defence procurement, answerable only to the MND and this Defence Committee, I could see it being an improvement. But, it is not like the Aussies are immune to procurement mistakes (NH-90, Tiger, their sub program), they just seem to tolerate the risks more and move on.

If the CPC intends on getting rid of all the the other procurement hurdles (Industry Canada; regional development agencies) and have an agency soley focussed on defence procurement, answerable only to the MND and this Defence Committee, I could see it being an improvement. But, it is not like the Aussies are immune to procurement mistakes (NH-90, Tiger, their sub program), they just seem to tolerate the risks more and move on.
And really, cleaning up the chain of accountability in any organization is always a good idea (hello, CAF writ large)

This.

They also have a single chain of command responsible for the procurement, and a significantly streamlined procurement process. Echoing what DAPaterson said, we need less oversight, not more. Right now we have so much review and oversight it's in practical terms impossible to hold anyone accountable because there are so many fingers in the pie.

Right now the LoE to buy $50k of widgets is the same as buying $1M of widgets. We burn out our procurement people, turn off the DRMIS auto replenishment functions to save money, and then wonder why our stocks are empty and it takes time to fill the bins back up.

Seems like a lost opportunity for the CPC that the Libs and NDP will pounce on.
Really a boneheaded vote. Across the board it was 46% in favour of including the provision and 54% opposed.

Interestingly the dividing line was the Ontario/Quebec border. All those to the east were in favour and all those to the west were against it. Quelle surprise, even BC voted 51% against it. Sask was the worst at 73.4% against it. NB and Que the most in favour at 71.4 and 70% in favour respectively.

😡

Pretty good job of cutting the nose off to spite the face. Not a strategic move at all and demonstrates that the CPC doesn’t seem to really understand the larger game it needs to play to dethrone the young Dauphin and his sycophants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back