• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Search for new CDS 2020

PuckChaser

Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting article from forum member and journalist Lee Berthiaume describing what most of us know already: The CDS is largely a political pick to push enact Government policy. We should not expect someone to rock the boat too hard against potentially Force-altering budget cuts due to massive Government deficits. Also included is a list of the 3-Leaf (star?) front runners including LGens Rouleau, Eyre, Menzinger and Coates as well as VAdm McDonald.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/next-defence-chief-will-signal-liberals-priorities-for-the-military-1.5102784
Next defence chief will signal Liberals' priorities for the military

Lee Berthiaume
The Canadian Press

Published Sunday, September 13, 2020 7:10AM EDT

OTTAWA -- Time is running out for the federal Liberal government to name a new commander of the Canadian Armed Forces before it faces a confidence vote, with some observers worrying a delay could leave the military in limbo in the event of an election.

Yet exactly who will be selected to succeed Gen. Jonathan Vance as chief of the defence staff remains a mystery because while there may be one seemingly obvious choice, there are others who might suit the Liberals better.

"There's a generalized understanding that any of the individuals who have made it to three stars have demonstrated a pretty strong portfolio in terms of competencies and strengths," said Canadian Forces College professor Alan Okros.

"It then becomes an issue about where does the priority fall?"

The Liberal government has quietly indicated it wants to announce the new chief of defence staff before the speech from the throne on Sept. 23. Sources at the Department of National Defence, who are not authorized to discuss the search publicly, said interviews were conducted this past week

Interesting article from forum member and journalist Lee Berthiaume describing what most of us know already: The CDS is largely a political pick to push enact Government policy. We should not expect someone to rock the boat too hard against potentially Force-altering budget cuts due to massive Government deficits. Also included is a list of the 3-Leaf (star?) front runners including LGens Rouleau, Eyre, Menzinger and Coates as well as VAdm McDonald.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/nex...iberals-priorities-for-the-military-1.5102784
Well that didn't age well.

There's a skeleton in everybody's closet - I can think of one or two in my own room.

The Ghosts That Haunt Me Now - Crash Test Dummies.

There's a skeleton in everybody's closet - I can think of one or two in my own room.

The Ghosts That Haunt Me Now - Crash Test Dummies.
Skeletons are mostly OK. It's when you have living, breathing people crammed in your closet, or others who saw what you did in your closet, where the problems arise.

So, don't get caught and it's fine???
Not at all. If you read that into what I posted, then my bad for not being more descriptive. Trying to discriminate between stupid, and illegal/immoral.

Skeletons for me and my generation mean stupid, non-illegal acts that only reflect badly on yourself, and caused no harm to others. We have almost all done something in our careers that, in retrospect, wasn't our most shining moment.

When the act is illegal, or causes lasting harm to others, and those folks have to live with the consequences, then I don't describe that as a skeleton, it is illegal/immoral.

Hope that explains it better.

Admiral McDonald has officially been terminated as CDS.

Which calls for a meme:

terminator GIF

41 days: Art McDonald's tenure as CDS.

41 years: the last time the CAF had a naval CDS who lasted more than a year.

FB_IMG_1637886977246.jpg
Funny, but it raises a valid point at the moment at our sky high turn over rate

Back