• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Payette resigns 21 Jan 2021

For the pop culture crowd - Prince Harry (if it was a year ago)

For the serious recommendation - Beverley McLachlin, the former Chief Justice

My money is on Russell Peters or Ashley McIsaac.
😄

"What skills do you bring to the Royal Court Mr McIsaac?"

.... "Being batshit drunk and crazy, able to urinate in to my own mouth and play the fiddle at the same time not enough for you?"

😄

"What skills do you bring to the Royal Court Mr McIsaac?"

.... "Being batshit drunk and crazy, able to urinate in to my own mouth and play the fiddle at the same time not enough for you?"
Someone gets it! For those who thought I was serious....really??

Last edited:
For the pop culture crowd - Prince Harry (if it was a year ago)

For the serious recommendation - Beverley McLachlin, the former Chief Justice
Frankly I think he would do an excellent job, his wife not so much. Of course the irony of it would be interesting.

Some pretty damning information from Robert Fife. Payette is a family friend of Sophie Trudeau and was chosen directly by the PM skipping the independent selection committee established in 2010 that had success by recommending David Johnston (bipartisan support for his tenure). Payette also refused to live in Rideau Hall, took off from her RCMP detail to go for runs and treated some of those detail members very poorly. Fife also alleges that anyone who looked beyond Payette's resume would have known her recent history of creating toxic work environments.

I think that regularly putting a former General or Flag Officer in the position every time would probably be a good idea, because they would be use to working with the Government, having a nonpartisan approach (even if they are not nonpartisan), and they wouldn't wear their uniforms and medals wrong...at the very least they wouldn't wear them on a snow suit or replace them with NASA medals.
Actually, one other thing that a General/Flag Officer brings to the table is bilingualism. By definition every retired General is passably bilingual, or they’d be a retired Colonel or a retired Major. Come to think of it, that’s also something that they share with the senior ranks of the civil service, as is the nonpartisanship. Maybe a former Deputy Minister or Ambassador? It’s been done before — Vanier and Leger come to mind.

Actually, he sounds like an excellent choice; bilingual, knows Ottawa, and is recently unemployed due to his resignation from provincial politics.
Vickers shot someone with a handgun. Trudeau would never go for that association.

Vickers shot someone with a handgun. Trudeau would never go for that association.
He almost certainly wouldn’t be the first Canadian Governor-General to have shot someone with a handgun. Between Minto, Byng, Alexander, Athlone and Vanier, there’s been some veterans of serious operational service that have gone through that office.

Back