• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

We are already in it, and have been for some time, albeit with not the same degree of polarization manifest in the US.

The economic model has supplanted journalistic integrity, notwithstanding the bleatings of the editors.

Hey folks,
Since this is one of the USA threads still open lets keep your thoughts on Mr Trump, Mr. Biden, et al out of it and keep on the original topic of a "Deeply Fractured US".
I'd say we can agree the divide has been there for a couple hundred years but like FJAG mentioned, it's boiling much hotter with social media.

We have already had a report to mod that we should just lock it lest it become like the other US threads, but I have faith in our nominal roll.
Thanks,
Bruce

For those old enough to remember the Rodney King riots in LA, it spread to Toronto. I was sent downtown from HQ driving an ambulance bus. They smashed both windshields, and most of the aisle windows too!
Well Hogtown does love to copy us activists

Well Hogtown does love to copy us activists
Thanks for remembering! That post is over seven months old! :)

I wonder if some were out of towners? Just like some of the trumpers in DC today may be out of towners?

The US has been fracturing for years. Their media has become hyper partisan drumming up anger and outrage on both sides of the spectrum. CNN is even telling its viewers that rioting is just the voice of the unheard and a Presidential candidate's staff is bailing rioters out of jail. It's absolutely unbelievable.
You got that right PC but don't believe anything from CNN, NYT, WaPo, HuffPoo, chuck todd, etc

Would anyone be surprised at the US media trying to whip up people to make Trump look bad?
Would you now be surprised after what's going on right now?
Conclusions may very but pictures tell a far better story.
And the live video I'm seeing isn't fake.

Would you now be surprised after what's going on right now?
Conclusions may very but pictures tell a far better story.
And the live video I'm seeing isn't fake.
Without trying to disrespect Bruce's direction on the topic direction I'd have to say hard nope. Not surprised now. I think it's exceptionally well deserved and I'm pretty surprised at what I've seen in the last little while. It's pretty shocking.

Last edited:
don't believe anything from CNN, NYT, WaPo, HuffPoo, chuck todd, etc
"Negative news = Fake news"?

I remember the links to alt-right conspiracy bloggers. Before they locked all the Trump threads.

Sure, you could inject facts and reality. But,

E.R. Campbell said:
"the people who voted for Trump and will vote for him or his surrogate again, in 2020 and in 2024 and beyond, don't care about the data because it doesn't address their issues, their feelings."

The people have spoken and the election is concluded. Congress confirmed the results early this morning. Don’t forget also that, lost in yesterday’s tumult, the Democrats also flipped the Senate. They control Washington for two years.

The people have spoken and the election is concluded. Congress confirmed the results early this morning. Don’t forget also that, lost in yesterday’s tumult, the Democrats also flipped the Senate. They control Washington for two years.
I get a sneaky suspicion that that "ownership" will be as tenuous as the Republican ownership between 2016-2018, where many remember John McCain's "thumb's down" showing how weak it was. The Democratic Party is, like the GOP under Trump, a tenuous coalition, and with its razor thin majority, I wonder how left and centre-left faction will affect that.

I get a sneaky suspicion that that "ownership" will be as tenuous as the Republican ownership between 2016-2018, where many remember John McCain's "thumb's down" showing how weak it was. The Democratic Party is, like the GOP under Trump, a tenuous coalition, and with its razor thin majority, I wonder how left and centre-left faction will affect that.
I agree: I suspect that, on at least one level, President-elect Biden might have preferred that the GOP retained a razor-thin majority in the Senate. Now people like Sen Bernie Sanders and Rep Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who are NOT, I think, likely to be part of the moderate governing coalition he wants to build, are going to have more power (especially in committees) that he might like.

The people have spoken and the election is concluded.

It represents the overwhelming verdict of American voters.

President-elect Biden received the largest vote percentage obtained against an incumbent president since 1932.

It represents the overwhelming verdict of American voters.

President-elect Biden received the largest vote percentage obtained against an incumbent president since 1932.
And we locked all the US Election threads so maybe we should stay on topic here so this one doesn't get binned too.

- Milnet.ca Staff

This should be interesting.... you know things are desperate in the US when they remind everyone about the last time the British Army visited the White House on 'business' :)

Capitol Police Left Open Path for Chaos to Take Deadly Turn​

One woman was shot and killed by a Capitol Police officer, Metropolitan Police Chief Robert Contee III told reporters on Wednesday night, without providing more details about the circumstances of the shooting. He said at least 14 officers were also injured, one seriously, during the disruptions.

Calm was eventually restored after the National Guard was called out and more than a dozen people were arrested. Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser ordered a 6 p.m.-6 a.m. curfew and later extended an emergency declaration for 15 days, pushing it just past Biden’s Jan. 20 inauguration.

Senator Roy Blunt, a Missouri Republican, said the breach on Wednesday requires another look at the crowd security plans for Biden’s inauguration on Jan. 20.

“I think, you know, that’s always a high security moment anyway because we’re outside and it has so many different targets to it. There’s always a significant security concern there,” said Blunt, the chairman of the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies.

But Blunt told reporters that the events Wednesday “obviously means you want to look more; you want to take one more really hard look at what you thought your crowd security concerns might be for Jan 20.”

“It’s pretty clear that there’s going to be a number of people who are going to be without employment very, very soon,” Ryan said in a digital press conference Wednesday. He criticized “the lack of professional planning and dealing with what we knew was going to occur.”
Ryan, chairman of the House Appropriations Legislative Branch subcommittee, said he talked to House Sergeant at Arms Paul Irving and Capitol Police officials about the long-planned protest as recently as Tuesday, and that it was clear demonstrators were not supposed to be “anywhere near the Capitol,” instead restricted to a nearby area to “protest and express your view,” Ryan said.

House Administration Chairwoman Zoe Lofgren, a California Democrat, promised a review of Capitol security. “The breach today at the U.S. Capitol raises grave security concerns,” Lofgren said in a statement.

People who went up the Capitol steps should have been immediately arrested, and there should have been reinforcements ready to help, Ryan said.

“There were clearly enormous strategic and planning failures by the Capitol Police, by the sergeant at arms, and anybody else who was a part of coordinating this effort here,” Ryan said.

The then-unfinished building first housed Congress in 1800 and was famously overrun and burned by British troops in 1814, during the War of 1812.

And we locked all the US Election threads so maybe we should stay on topic here so this one doesn't get binned too.

- Milnet.ca Staff

Question on that- the direction I got by PM from a member of the DS a few weeks back was, and I quote, “Quick discussion and it stays locked until the electoral college votes. [barring a monstrously huge story]”

Both criteria having been met, has there been another change in the DS posture on election threads that was not communicated us? With the election now completely concluded, is that same prohibition being extended to discussions on the post-election “lame duck’ or transition period? I just want to clarify if parameters have changed again or if the (purportedly) intended reversion to ‘big boy rules’ on this topic will be permitted subject to the usual site guidelines. Thanks.

I see on various political blogs, that a lot of right leaning voters were disgusted by the choice of candidates picked by the GOP to run in that election, basically handing the election to the Dems. The democrat choice is apparently no angel as well.

Back