• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-146 Griffon

Quick technical question, What would be the benefits of a modern Labrador (smaller that a Chinook) with twin rotors vs a modern large single rotor helicopter in regards to range, performance, payload, weather and flight profile?

I get onboard storage and maintenance would likley be a win for the single rotor.

Quick technical question, What would be the benefits of a modern Labrador (smaller that a Chinook) with twin rotors vs a modern large single rotor helicopter in regards to range, performance, payload, weather and flight profile?

I get onboard storage and maintenance would likley be a win for the single rotor.
No clue. Not very familiar with that (very old) airframe.

PMO as in Prime Minister’s Office or Project Management Office? Because I can assure you that the second one has had those conversations in long and sleep-inducing detail.

Also, I wouldn’t trust a company’s claims as far as I can throw them. Never trust the glossy brochure. I’d also take the allied use cases with a grain of salt bc not all of us use our equipment the same way.
Project Management Office*

And fair point about other users of a product being taken with a grain of salt. I hadn't thought of that in my late night stupor.

At least maintenance chiefs in other countries could provide some feedback in terms of how maintenance intensive a platform is, how they operate that platform & the maintenance needs that requires so it can help to inform our decision makers.

(I'm hoping and thinking that's already the case, like you said)

It hasn’t really been that way for decades.
What hasn't been that way...the helo essentially being an extension of the ship in terms of ASW? Or the helo operating independently of the ship?

Although I've also heard the MH-60R and SH-60 are different, though I don't know whether the MH-60R functions the same as our Cyclones or the Merlin.
Can you (or anybody else) expand on that last part? (Without violating ASW OPSEC)

Does the MH-60R function differently than a Cyclone or a Merlin, in how it conducts the ASW mission?

What hasn't been that way...the helo essentially being an extension of the ship in terms of ASW? Or the helo operating independently of the ship?

Can you (or anybody else) expand on that last part? (Without violating ASW OPSEC)

Does the MH-60R function differently than a Cyclone or a Merlin, in how it conducts the ASW mission?
Not that I have observed.

Project Management Office*

And fair point about other users of a product being taken with a grain of salt. I hadn't thought of that in my late night stupor.

At least maintenance chiefs in other countries could provide some feedback in terms of how maintenance intensive a platform is, how they operate that platform & the maintenance needs that requires so it can help to inform our decision makers.

(I'm hoping and thinking that's already the case, like you said)
I’m not an MH person but in the community I’m in, we operate similar aircraft to the ones our allies did, but with vastly different maintenance requirements and crew sizes. So I don’t think that is a very valid comparison either.

There are too many variables to really get a good baseline.

I’m not an MH person but in the community I’m in, we operate similar aircraft to the ones our allies did, but with vastly different maintenance requirements and crew sizes. So I don’t think that is a very valid comparison either.

There are too many variables to really get a good baseline.
Why should be a question we ask ourselves?
Why do we have different maintenance requirements?
Why do we have different crew sizes?
Is what we are doing better then the others or making it more complicated?
Or is it simpler then the others.
Canada's Military tends to make things more complicated then they need to be.

Why should be a question we ask ourselves?
Why do we have different maintenance requirements?
Why do we have different crew sizes?
Is what we are doing better then the others or making it more complicated?
Or is it simpler then the others.
Canada's Military tends to make things more complicated then they need to be.
In the community I’m in, some things are simpler than others while some things are more complicated.

Back