• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Been using it all along. Particularly the word combatant as well. Wait until they announce the ships as destroyers.

Topshee has been going on about the ships being called destroyers for over a year at this point, although the ships haven't been officially seen the title assigned to them yet. That should be rectified sometime this year when the ships receive their official names finally.

Topshee has been going on about the ships being called destroyers for over a year at this point, although the ships haven't been officially seen the title assigned to them yet. That should be rectified sometime this year when the ships receive their official names finally.
Are we going to do it again? Lets do it again! Mountain-Class Destroyers. HMC Ships:
Columbia
Twin Peaks
High Rock
White Hill
Gros Morne
Cabox
Waddington
Combatant
Asperity
Baldy
Nirvana
Odin
Barbeau
Angilaaq
Caubvik

Are we going to do it again? Lets do it again! Mountain-Class Destroyers. HMC Ships:
Columbia
Twin Peaks
High Rock
White Hill
Gros Morne
Cabox
Waddington
Combatant
Asperity
Baldy
Nirvana
Odin
Barbeau
Angilaaq
Caubvik

I went to school with one of those.

Been using it all along. Particularly the word combatant as well. Wait until they announce the ships as destroyers.
Fair, but many in the DND, including the Minister, seem allergic to the word. Too much nationalism and testosterone I suppose.

Columbia
Twin Peaks
High Rock
White Hill
Gros Morne
Cabox
Waddington
Combatant
Asperity
Baldy
Nirvana
Odin
Barbeau
Angilaaq
Caubvik
Are those seriously the names?

Given that these are big, important fighting vessels, I’d expect Tribal class III (Indigenous/First Nations class?) to be at the front of the GoC’s mind. Easy way to incorporate reconciliation and retain Canada’s most famous fighting vessels namesakes. Especially with the talk of destroyer designations being applied.

Failing that, I’d expect a rerun of the River class or the City class. They’ve eaten through basically any feasible prominent naval figures with the DeWolf class, what remains is distinctly not diverse enough to make up a class, although not any less deserving.

Given that these are big, important fighting vessels, I’d expect Tribal class III (Indigenous/First Nations class?) to be at the front of the GoC’s mind. Easy way to incorporate reconciliation and retain Canada’s most famous fighting vessels namesakes. Especially with the talk of destroyer designations being applied.

Failing that, I’d expect a rerun of the River class or the City class. They’ve eaten through basically any feasible prominent naval figures with the DeWolf class, what remains is distinctly not diverse enough to make up a class, although not any less deserving.
I'd expect River class, less of a political hot potato. While reconciliation might be the goal with a Tribal class, it would turn into a gong show when the middle class white "always offended" class catches wind of it.

I'd expect River class, less of a political hot potato. While reconciliation might be the goal with a Tribal class, it would turn into a gong show when the middle class white "always offended" class catches wind of it.
These sort of people will be offended at anything and should rightfully be ignored. If the GoC was so terrified about this sort of thing, there wouldn’t be the amount of indigenous participating right now with things like land acknowledgments and their ambassadors coming to all of the east coast AOPS ceremonies to give their blessings.

It would be missing effectively the best reconciliation and indigenous partnership opportunity that the RCN is ever likely going to see again. As long as the proper consultation and approvals are given from those who actually matter, those people who scream at the sky at the slightest breeze can be left to their own devices.

These sort of people will be offended at anything and should rightfully be ignored. If the GoC was so terrified about this sort of thing, there wouldn’t be the amount of indigenous participating right now with things like land acknowledgments and their ambassadors coming to all of the east coast AOPS ceremonies to give their blessings.

It would be missing effectively the best reconciliation and indigenous partnership opportunity that the RCN is ever likely going to see again. As long as the proper consultation and approvals are given from those who actually matter, those people who scream at the sky at the slightest breeze can be left to their own devices.
We'll see... I don't share your optimism regarding the naming of ships. Most people have no idea about any of the ceremonies we perform, but when they see HMCS Iroquois, or HMCS Huron on the news they will take note.

I'm not opposed to the idea of a new Tribal class, I think it would be awesome. I also think we should have tribally associated regiments in the army as well, to sit alongside the Scottish, Irish and Guards regiments we already have. I'm just cynical enough to see why nobody wants to touch the idea...

Are those seriously the names?
I'm confident that its a no. @Lumber is taking the piss.
We'll see... I don't share your optimism regarding the naming of ships. Most people have no idea about any of the ceremonies we perform, but when they see HMCS Iroquois, or HMCS Huron on the news they will take note.

I'm not opposed to the idea of a new Tribal class, I think it would be awesome. I also think we should have tribally associated regiments in the army as well, to sit alongside the Scottish, Irish and Guards regiments we already have. I'm just cynical enough to see why nobody wants to touch the idea...
New tribal class had a strong arguement with the ship naming committee. There was also First Nations Advisory counsel representation on that committee. I have a clue as to the results though, only that the recommendations have been submitted to the Gov't.

Having a powerful new ship named after your tribe should be an easy sell and a opportunity for both sides to get some mileage out of it. Just needs a careful approach.

Back