Author Topic: Brad/Chelsea Manning: Charged w/AFG file leak, Cdn angles, disposition (merged)  (Read 75040 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Obama commutes Chelsea Manning's prison sentence
« Reply #300 on: January 17, 2017, 21:10:18 »
Can Trump overturn Obama's decisions once he takes the oath on Friday?  Manning's not set for release until May...

She wont be released until May and could save the government money on the sex change costs. So commuting the sentence could be reversed,after all its not a pardon.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #301 on: January 17, 2017, 21:14:32 »
She wont be released until May and could save the government money on the sex change costs. So commuting the sentence could be reversed,after all its not a pardon.

WASHINGTON — President Obama on Tuesday pardoned James E. Cartwright, a retired Marine Corps general and former vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who pleaded guilty to lying to the F.B.I. about his discussions with reporters about Iran’s nuclear program, saving him from a possible prison sentence.

General Cartwright, who was a key member of Mr. Obama’s national security team in his first term and earned a reputation as the president’s favorite general, pleaded guilty late last year to misleading investigators looking into the leaking of classified information about cyberattacks against Iran.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #303 on: January 18, 2017, 06:36:37 »
The Assange extradition is now in the works.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/01/breaking-julian-assange-will-extradited-united-states/

I am beginning to be impressed by this guy.  Or perhaps a US supermax is more comfortable than a room in a third world embassy.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #304 on: January 18, 2017, 07:43:59 »
I am beginning to be impressed by this guy.
Let's not forget his leaks may have cost lives -- 11 pages of reminder here.
Or perhaps a US supermax is more comfortable than a room in a third world embassy.
I'll believe it when I see the move happen ...

P.S. -- Also merged this with the rest of Manning's story here @ Army.ca.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:48:11 by milnews.ca »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Mannings leaks may have cost lives.Bergdahl going AWOL in Afghanistan certainly did.

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #306 on: January 18, 2017, 13:17:10 »
She wont be released until May and could save the government money on the sex change costs.

12 feet of rope would also save plenty of money.
So, there I was....

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Mannings leaks & Assange sharing them may have cost lives.
:nod:

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
Mannings leaks may have cost lives.Bergdahl going AWOL in Afghanistan certainly did.

:rage:

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
I am beginning to be impressed by this guy.
Just a reminder ...
... In WikiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange’s War on Secrecy, David Leigh and Luke Harding, reporters for The Guardian, described what allegedly happened when a group of journalists took Assange to Moro’s, a Spanish restaurant in central London. When they discussed the contents of the Afghan war files, one reporter told Assange he was concerned about what could happen to Afghans who worked with the coalition were the documents to release without proper redactions.

“Well, they’re informants,” Assange replied. “So, if they get killed, they’ve got it coming to them.”

“They deserve it.”

The Taliban and other terrorist groups still have this list of names. Thanks to Manning’s decision to trust in Assange, the leak put a potential target on all of their backs, one they will likely carry for the rest of their lives unless the Taliban ever agrees to lay down arms ...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:55:22 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #310 on: January 20, 2017, 05:54:14 »
She wont be released until May and could save the government money on the sex change costs
About that ...
Army Pvt. Chelsea Manning, the national-security leaker and transgender soldier, will lose her entitlement to military health care benefits under the terms of the sentence that President Obama commuted, according to the Army.

Obama’s commutation Tuesday will allow Manning to leave the Army’s prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., on May 17, about six years before she would have been eligible for parole. The Army has been providing her with treatment for gender dysphoria, including hormone treatments.

She had been a candidate for gender-reassignment surgery, which would have been paid for under the Pentagon’s new policy for transgender troops.

But the terms of the 35-year sentence the court-martial imposed includes a “dishonorable discharge,” which the commutation did not affect, Army spokeswoman Cynthia Smith said Wednesday.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
There are lots of groups who will pay for the operation. Maybe the Obama Foundation?
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Editor, The Devils' Blast, the Annual Chronicle of The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

http://www.royalwinnipegrifles.com/regimental-association/the-devils-blast/

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
The latest ...
Chelsea Manning, the former Army private who leaked a trove of classified documents to WikiLeaks, will be released from prison on May 17, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. Manning's 35-year prison sentence was commuted in January by then-President Barack Obama.

Most recently, Manning has been held in a prison in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. After her release, her attorney says, she'll live in Maryland ...
More ...
The soldier imprisoned for leaking hundreds of thousands of classified military documents to WikiLeaks released her first statement Tuesday since being granted clemency, saying she hopes to use lessons she's learned in prison to help others.

Chelsea Manning, who is scheduled to be released from prison next week, thanked former President Barack Obama, who granted her clemency in the final days of his presidency. She also said letters of support from fellow transgender individuals and veterans inspired her "to work toward making life better for others."

"For the first time, I can see a future for myself as Chelsea," she said in the statement. "I can imagine surviving and living as the person who I am and can finally be in the outside world. Freedom used to be something that I dreamed of but never allowed myself to fully imagine." ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter