Author Topic: Outdoor Gear Thread  (Read 119321 times)

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
Re: Outdoor Gear Thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 01:27:25 »
Well...I hiked all over Gros Morne National Park and Banff this summer...and my Zamberlans were the one thing I would not have been without...especially doing the rock scramble up Gros Morne...one of the highlights IMO  ;D
The terrain is so diverse throughout GM and my Zambies met the challenge...no need for Gortex...

I wore Wigwam INgenius Hiker Merino Socks with liners which worked well in all conditions...from hot and dry to cool and wet...

The Sportif convertible pants are my fav...the shorts were worn more than the full legs though...less restricting on steep inclines...

I found a more snug fitting long sleeve wicking top was best...I wore my MEC thermal hoodie over the MEC Sporty Top...they switched out easily during the climb when it was hot and I was glad to have the warmth at the summit...

I wore a MEC bandana which is self explanatory...and MEC Javelin Sunglasses...with rose colored lenses  8)

A Source Widepack hydration system and of course a bear bell...lol

That was for the day long hikes...more kit was involved in the overnight primitive hikes...

HL

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."~ Gen. Hillier - CDS

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 06:42:24 »
Scott coming home soon after 70 plus days away...loooooook out MEC!

On my list of possibles:

Snowshoes

Telemark skis (though I may go used for these puppies the first time 'round)

An Arc'teryx Bora pack

Canoe paddles. I have some guys telling me to go with hybrids, any comments? I prefer the traitional wooden jobbies but am always up for debate.

A pair of low cut hikers.

Ice gear (crampons, axes)

My favorite season is arriving the same time I am and I plan to get the most out of it!
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 21:30:24 »
Forgot the GPS in my last post...makes for quick nav...way of the future...love it...recommend you don't leave home without it if you are doing some serious outback hikes  ;D

HL
"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."~ Gen. Hillier - CDS

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 05:16:41 »
Looking at this for my next purchase... ;D

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?a=b&minisite=10020&spid=34183&language=US

Racing mountain bikes seems like a great new outdoor sport for me...been biking lately but tired out some of the serious types bikes and well you just have to have one 8)
If anyone has any additional info about the sport be glad to hear it...gotta get the new duds to wear too of course...

HL

Offline Jc066

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 06:52:41 »
I remember riding a Norco A-Line on 'A-line' in Whistler in 2003. The thing rode like a dirt toboggan! I never bothered to ride up hill with it. But it rode downhill like a butte!

Scott: You might want to check out MEC's Gear swap before you buy some telly gear else where, I got my touring skis there and it was fairly simple and easy.

Jon
Let's all work together and help stamp out Fixed wing!

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 09:14:51 »
Jon, totally, I was thinking the same. I have a ton of gear that I can get rid of so it makes sense.

HL, I bought a Specialized Hardrock and looooove it. I am not into going kamikaze down mountians, mostly rail trails with the occasional burst down a short path so it suits me just fine. I buy all my cycle gear from Hub in Truro and find they have a cult following in the area with people coming out from the city to shop there. They are a tad more pricey for certain items but I continue shopping there because we need a cycle shop in Truro and the best way to keep them is to support them.

GPS's: I have a Garmin 60 Cx. Love, love, love it. I also bought the Topo Canada software and this has to be seen to be believed. The interfacing between GPS and my laptop is unreal and the way this thing tracks routes, waypoints, etc is mind blowing. It's awesome being able to email someone a map of a route in the back country. Cost money? Yup. But totally worth it.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 10:29:11 »
GPS's: I have a Garmin 60 Cx. Love, love, love it. I also bought the Topo Canada software and this has to be seen to be believed. The interfacing between GPS and my laptop is unreal and the way this thing tracks routes, waypoints, etc is mind blowing. It's awesome being able to email someone a map of a route in the back country. Cost money? Yup. But totally worth it.

It is a nice unit.  I've used it on hikes and geocaching.  I was wondering if anyone has the Garmin 60CSx yet.  I'm curious to see if there are any (noticeable) differences in the reception, the 2nd and 3rd paragraph of the write-up make it sound like they are using a new receiver.  I like the altimeter feature too.

I was wondering, is this the software you are talking about?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:18:00 by Eye In The Sky »
"Stop telling everyone I'm an *******; I like to see the look on their face when they realize it for themselves..."

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 11:11:59 »

HL, I bought a Specialized Hardrock and looooove it. I am not into going kamikaze down mountians, mostly rail trails with the occasional burst down a short path so it suits me just fine. I buy all my cycle gear from Hub in Truro and find they have a cult following in the area with people coming out from the city to shop there. They are a tad more pricey for certain items but I continue shopping there because we need a cycle shop in Truro and the best way to keep them is to support them.

[/quote]Tks Scott...I am in Truro quite often...will have to check them out too...do they have Fox bike apparel...I just love their stuff...make awesome bike suspension too...lol
going to check out the Topo Canada software too...now what do you know about kayaks...I have a good friend who does all the wild and crazy kayaking (aka white water and falls) as well as sea...he says to go used first...any thoughts?

HL

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2008, 11:21:16 »
Eye in the Sky: Indeed, the very same software. Easy peasy to use.

I looked at getting the Csx but the lower version won out for me. I would like to have the altimeter but it's not a must have for me. I've had mine for a bit over a year so I am not sure which generation of receiver I have in the thing but I do know it's deadly accurate and will work most everywhere save for inside of big buildings.

HL, I don't recall if they have Fox apparel (isn't Fox into Moto?) I buy mostly Suogi and only for padding, everything else I wear is regular outdoor wear stuff. Hub is on Inglis Street so if you've been to Margolians before then you're close. A great spot to hit after the bike shop is the Fair Trade Cafe, they're just down from one another. And, if you don't mind hills, hit Victoria Park for some biking, it's challenging but fun.

Kayaks, not a damned thing known about them. I had debated getting into it but have shelved the plans for now and am going to stick with my old Sportsman, you know, the one painted like birch bark? It's a classic with all my Royal Reserve stickers on it...

WRT kayaking, it is much more efficient than canoeing, this is a fact. It seems that it can be pricey or not so bad...I do know that around Halifax there are a few courses you can sign up for to build your own and I have talked to some of the guys that have done it who all say it was worth it. I am not certain on prices but methinks that back then it was cheaper than buying. I also know that sea kayaks are a different animal than the river/whitewater/whatever...but I'll stop here as it is not my forte
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 11:32:33 »
I do know that around Halifax there are a few courses you can sign up for to build your own and I have talked to some of the guys that have done it who all say it was worth it. I am not certain on prices but methinks that back then it was cheaper than buying.

On one of our outtings this past summer, one of the guys had his handmade kayak and it was a very nice piece of kit.  He had built 3 of them, and sold the first 2, and decided to keep the last one.  IIRC, he had put $800ish into it (10 years ago) and built it over a winter.  His had no rudder on it which he said makes it alittle harder to track with a tailwind/following sea.  It was lighter than any of ours and he was pretty proud of it.  And rightfully so, I thought.

"Stop telling everyone I'm an *******; I like to see the look on their face when they realize it for themselves..."

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2008, 11:46:30 »
That is sweet!

I am looking into a new canoe and can get a handmade fibreglass jobby from the Shelburne area for under a grand...not quite sure yet.

Oh man, I am Jonesing so bad right now. I picked up a "traveler" during my time in Uzbekistan and am a bit out of comission for the time being (Doctor's visits start tomorrow). I am hoping to hit Wentworth for the fall colors and a hike to the lookoff then it's off to Cape Breton for Cape Clear (hike and camp) and Trous des Saumons (bike).

HL, if you want any trail info on central NS give me a holler. I'm in Brookfield and have easy access to many gooders.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Intelligent Design

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 22:20:13 »
That is one beautiful kayak. I've gone out in a family member's home made ocean kayak before. It was a wood frame with canvas stretched over it, and it was one of the nicest kayaks I've ever paddled. It was a 3 person as well, which made for some good social time. One day I might get myself my own kayak, but I suppose it would make more sense to wait until I'm done school and actually posted, in case the nearest body of water is 4 hours away. :D
"You silly basterd, you've got no arms left!"
"Yes I have! Look!"

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 12:34:18 »
MEC got me again...

I picked up the Arc'teryx Bora 65 bag and the thing is far and above the best pack I have ever laid eyes on. I also got a small cragging/ski pack by Black Diamond as I plan on getting some back country boards in the next few weeks (any suggestions?)

For anyone in NS I highly suggest you check out the Minas Basin shore along Parrsboro area, wicked hikes, great waterfalls, cheap accommodations (right on the beach) and stellar views all around. I spent two and a half days there recently and was able to hit Ward's Falls, another un named set about 30 km closer to Advocate, Cape D'Or, Parrsboro beach for the tides, Advocate Beach for a driftwood bonfire...this place is bound to become my new playground with Kenomee, Devil's Bend and Chignecto trails so close at hand.

Thankfully my girlfirend will be able to use the North Face bag but I will be looking, soon, to clean out some of the gear from my closet.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2008, 12:43:02 »
Five Islands is down that area to is it not?

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 12:45:43 »
Indeed. Five Islands is very close to Kenomee/Devil's Bend. Parrsboro is further on, Ward's Falls and the other set are on the road to Advocate. This has to be one of the most under explored areas of the province...there was almost zero traffic and we met just a handful of people during our hikes. So stunning is the land up that way that I am going to start looking for property!

PM me if you want further details.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 17:26:16 »
The Trail Shop's 20% off everything sale got me. I picked up some sweet new back country skis w/ bindings and boots all for under 300 bucks which is pretty decent (I got last year's boots at 70% off!) and so I have been enjoying the hell out of the snow Halifax has gotten. Yesterday I hit Ashburn and today I went around Banook on the Shubie trails which was a treat save for the fact that some of the ignorant dinks like to walk in classic ski lines instead of using previous footpaths.

I missed out on Wentworth for the colours but did see some in the Highlands a few weeks back. 9er and I went for a blast from Margaree Center to Wreck Cove stopping at Cape Clear and Big Intervale. We found some primo camping/canoeing spots up in the Wreck Cove power flowages so next summer should be pretty sweet. We also hit Trous des Saumons (as mentioned before) which was a blast and very quiet.

The next big one is going to be to my cabin. Ski in, set up, two nights, ski the area, ski out. We may have to wait to do this but it's on the books. The other option is the backcountry side of the Musquodoboit Rail Trail through White's Lake, we may go and overnight somewhere in the back country...

I also picked up some softshell pants in the last little while and am loving the combination of those and some Kombi's underneath. I was never before a long underwear or insulated pants guy but am now a convert.

Keep exploring!

Be nice for no reason.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2008, 17:46:02 »
The other option is the backcountry side of the Musquodoboit Rail Trail through White's Lake, we may go and overnight somewhere in the back country...

I was up there recently (South Granite Ridge and that area) doing some geocaching.  I really liked that area, it was a good hike and the view along the ridge was one of the nicer ones I have seen in NS. 

I also picked up some softshell pants in the last little while and am loving the combination of those and some Kombi's underneath. I was never before a long underwear or insulated pants guy but am now a convert.

I have a set of softshell pants/jacket (the Ferrata ones from MEC, which are discontinued now I think), that use Schoeller Dryskin.  I love them.  Lightweight, water resistant (water beads off it), and the stretchiness of it are very good.  I recently hiked Bluff Wilderness, and wore the pants with no baselayer.  Temps were dipping just below freezing and I was not cold at all.  All I am planning on doing this winter is adding a baselayer and a set of gaiters for winter hiking/snowshoeing. 

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2008, 17:53:20 »
WRT Gaiters: I tried them for the first time this weekend and was glad to ahve them. I gave a shot to a set of Mountain Hardware's creation. The only con I can see to them is that the strap that runs under your boot on these puppies is just a piece of rope, not the buckled leather like in most other incarnations I have seen. That aside they worked and were comfy and kept my feet and pants/legs DRY.

I forgot to add my skis in here: http://www.alpinasports.com/Alpina.php?Catalog1=11&Parent1=3 Boots from the same outfit and the bindings are of back country style but |I am not sure of the maker. FYI, I had an extensive talk with a guy about steel edged skis vs flat plastic and he swore by the regular old flat plastic (no edges) for anything done here in NS and I happen to agree, steel seems to be overkill.

My softshell pants are from Patagonia and I hit up another set from North Face as I am a total North Face slut. No verdict yet. I bought them mainly for the ice climbing we are getting into in the Middle Stewiacke area this winter.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2008, 18:05:02 »
How much did you shell out for your gaiters?  I was looking at the Kokanee's from MEC;  the price seems right, the gortex in them I like and the velcro closure is on the front.  I was looking at them last week but want to take my hiking boots in and actually put them on before I buy them.  It would be nice to have a Plan B if they aren't suitable now that there is some snow down.

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2008, 18:51:05 »
Mine were regular $45 bucks.

The big thing to look for in gaiters, besides the under foot straps, is a tab that hooks on to your boot at the front. My skit boots have such a tab built right in but most shoes will not so you'll want to wake sure you do not chafe through your laces during an epic stroll. I don't know what other incarnations are out there (like what MEC has to offer) 9er has a set from MEC and likes them a ton.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2008, 18:57:15 »
Mine were regular $45 bucks.

The big thing to look for in gaiters, besides the under foot straps, is a tab that hooks on to your boot at the front. My skit boots have such a tab built right in but most shoes will not so you'll want to wake sure you do not chafe through your laces during an epic stroll. I don't know what other incarnations are out there (like what MEC has to offer) 9er has a set from MEC and likes them a ton.

The ones I was looking at have the tab on them, which was one of the things I was looking for.  I always carry a spare pair of laces in my pack, maybe I should make it two for long ones in the winter.   :)

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2009, 11:43:32 »
Time for an update:

www.hubcycle.ca

Jeff Simms, an old hockey linemate of mine and former Patricia, is the store manager and great at giving deals. He also has intimate knowledge of local trails and good info on all things bike, snowshoe and ski. FYI, Hub is into skis and snowshoes and will match or beat anyone else's prices on all items - for anyone making the trip this time of year, bring your skis, Victoria Park, with over 15 km of excellent trails, is literally within walking distance of Hub. And seeing as I am tsalking skiing and Victoria Park...on the very off chance that someone who walks there is reading this, PLEASE stick to one side of the trail! It makes for disastrous skiing and falls when someone ruins a perfectly good classic trail by walking all over it. There is plenty of room for everyone, just show a little respect.

While at Hub recently Jeff got me into a set of Faber snowshoes http://www.fabersnowshoes.com/ which are 100% Canadian made and have a pretty awesome binding system aboard them. Snowshoeing is the fastest growing sport in North America and is so accessible, in places where you get snow at least, that it's hard not to make a case to anyone to go for it. I made doubly sure to buy shoes that were heavy enough to allow me to haul some weight, I suggest same for anyone who likes the backcountry.

Back to skiing. I recently headed for Tuonela in Cape Breton and had an awesome stay there www.skituonela.com Backcountry skiing at its very best amd most beautiful. There is approximately 15 km of well groomed trails as well as a village of chalets for those who wish to stay. Be forewarned, all of the skiing is technical and challenging, there are no "green circle" trails at this place and one could hurt themselves if not careful.

Have fun!
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2009, 12:59:11 »
I bought MSR Denali snowshoes with the 8" extensions about 3 years ago.  While they may look like cheap plastic crap to the casual eye, lemme tell ya, these things are tough, light, and comfortable.  I would STRONGLY suggest the tail extensions to anyone who goes for the powder.  I'm 240 in my initial issued suit, add all my snivel kit and a decently sized pack, and I quickly discovered I needed the extra floatation.  I keep them in my truck all winter, because out here if you go off into the rhubarb, it can be a real hike to get assistance.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline grey man

• Veteran Intrawebs Lurker
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2009, 22:05:51 »
The ones I was looking at have the tab on them, which was one of the things I was looking for.  I always carry a spare pair of laces in my pack, maybe I should make it two for long ones in the winter.   :)

Gaiters are amazing, if you ever hike in swampy terrain or through snow drifts once you discover them they are no longer
optional. In a lot of cases they eliminate the need for waterproof pants, and in some cases like snow drift "post holeing" they are far superior.

Outdoor Research crocodiles are the best design. They are in the $80 range, kind of pricey but you realize once you start using them just how valuable they are, its like springing for high quality boots vs mediocre ones.

Canada ought to follow the Brits lead and make this issued kit, but that's probably too logical too happen.

In the mean time check this out  :o
http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/footwear/8012.htm

They're even crocodiles too!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 22:10:29 by LoneObserver »

Offline Rinker

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 13:29:27 »
Yes I agree I used gaiters on the WCT, second best purchase I ever made. The best was my boots. http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=13&idcat=2

If you want a comfortable, waterproof all year round boot. Get'em. I didn't even have time to break them in before I set out for the WCT and still didn't get blisters, and I get the worst blisters really quickly becuase of some stupid knob on the back of my foot. They are kind of $$$
A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill