Author Topic: Req : Possible Griffon Replacement  (Read 45558 times)

Offline Mountie

• Rate Post
Re: Req : Possible Griffon Replacement
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2016, 13:58:43 »
If we are going to stick with a Huey variant, then the UH1Y is the only worthwhile option, in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more.  I was just trying to be realistic cost wise.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2016, 00:35:56 »
Couldn't agree more.  I was just trying to be realistic cost wise.

Not to mention the Production line is still open I believe, so if we wanted them, lets do it, I am sure the USMC could be convinced to bump a delivery back a bit so we can get a few faster
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2016, 07:50:51 »
Regrettably, we will be stuck with Griffon, with minimal upgrades, for a long time to come.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2016, 22:11:36 »
Not to mention the Production line is still open I believe, so if we wanted them, lets do it, I am sure the USMC could be convinced to bump a delivery back a bit so we can get a few faster

Why would the Marines do that? ???

They said no to any early CH-53Ks so I don't think they'd be any more benevolent with the Yankees.

:pop:

G2G

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2016, 22:24:29 »
Why not Blackhawks?

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2016, 09:06:09 »
Why not Blackhawks?
Off the rack = not enough Canadian content?
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2016, 10:50:56 »
Why not Blackhawks?

No capability - related reason.

The main reason would be political - we have a Bell plant in Mirabel, which may make a purchase a little more palatable. 85% commonality with AH1Z is nice but of no significance as we are unlikely to purchase an AH.

After doing some quick searching around the internet, my earlier assumptions no longer seem to be valid. UH1Y was originally billed as "giving Black Hawk (correct spelling - two words) performance at half of the cost". While costs vary wildly from site-to-site, as does key performance information, Black Hawk cost is generally claimed to be the lesser while it can lift more (8000 lbs vice 6660 lbs for UH1Y). Lower UH60 cost is likely due to economy-of-scale - far, far more have been built.

UH1Y does come with a FLIR system, though, and is designed to be armed.

Either would be a major step up.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2016, 11:58:36 »
Not sure if they have any left, but we could get some slightly used Blackhawks https://www.army.mil/article/128123/Exchange_of_A_model_Black_Hawks_generates_significant_cost_savings

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2016, 13:50:01 »
Not sure if they have any left, but we could get some slightly used Blackhawks https://www.army.mil/article/128123/Exchange_of_A_model_Black_Hawks_generates_significant_cost_savings

Sweet!  We could also save money over F-35 by buying some original Hornets from the early-80's. ;)

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2016, 13:56:07 »
Sweet!  We could also save money over F-35 by buying some original Hornets from the early-80's. ;)
Do they come in blue?

See Canada here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASq2CYZlqD0

Offline BurmaShave

• Rate Post
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2016, 14:24:52 »

Screw gently-used Hornets. What we really need is to resurrect the world-beating, cancelled-by-the-Americans-cause-they-afraid CF-105 Avro Arrow. With quick dab of the stealth juice, we could have a made-in-Canada replacement for the F-18 at 1/4th the price of competitors!  8)

(It don't have anything to do with helos...I just saw that idea on Facebook and needed to vent before I exploded)
On curves ahead/Remember, sonny/That rabbit's foot/Didn't save/The bunny/Burma Shave

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2016, 15:25:51 »
Screw gently-used Hornets. What we really need is to resurrect the world-beating, cancelled-by-the-Americans-cause-they-afraid CF-105 Avro Arrow. With quick dab of the stealth juice, we could have a made-in-Canada replacement for the F-18 at 1/4th the price of competitors!  8)

(It don't have anything to do with helos...I just saw that idea on Facebook and needed to vent before I exploded)

Here we go again.....Resurecting the Avro Arrow thread are we?    [:D

Lobbying to replace the F-35 with (a modernized) Avro Arrow
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.