Author Topic: Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements  (Read 36387 times)

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
Re: CAN, AUS Reserves Can Now Serve in Other Country's Force
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 15:12:59 »
I'm going to contact the Australian Consulate for this but I thought I'd ask Wes or someone else who might have a know.

In light that we are now able to travel to the great land down under to conduct training, which type of visa do we require? there is a huge list of visas, and I'm just not too sure what exactly we need. Anyways, anyone know?
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline Lazy W

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 16:59:08 »
WRT to visa, since this program is for reserves, I would imagine that you would be in Oz for some other reason (such as University or work).  In that case, you would need the visa for whatever your primary purpose in the country was for.  I was on a student visa the entire time
AKE AKE KIA KAHA

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 17:10:33 »
Lazy W... you really havent answered my question....
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline downinOZ

• Rate Post
  • Waiting for the T-11
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 07:59:43 »
Lazy W... you really havent answered my question....

He has actually.  But here's the info page for visas.

http://www.dimia.gov.au/immigration.htm

There is a big stir up about the...136 visa (I think) which is the skilled worker visa.  But this is a pretty good opportunity for anybody who's doing a university exchange (USask Education and Kinesiology programs) or a holiday trip.  I tried a few years ago on my exchange to organise this and things were in the works back then.  Great program.  For anybody going to Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide or New Castle, bring your ice hockey gear. 

And everytime some friend emails me a bit of news about some new coolguy unit forming, I get more and more depressed about getting married.  The Jack Daniels costs more here, the surfing isn't good ALL the time, and trying to get into the reg force sucks - medical standards are much ...older (colour perception). 

Anybody looking to go for a trip down to Melbourne drop my a line (especially around Canada Day - enclaves of Canucks all over the place).

Chimo

Offline Aerobicrunner

• Rate Post
PRIMARY RESERVE CLASS A FOREIGN SERVICE
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 10:39:26 »
This is a great initiative to those reservists who are undertaking university programs or whose civilian company have sent them to work in Australia or Great Britain/Northern Ireland.  At my last unit there was a Navy Reservist Musician who went to Australia to do her Masters in Music and she was able to parade with the Band of the Royal Australian Navy.  She represented Canada well and provided some surprised looks with her slightly different uniform at the band performances.

CANFORGEN 129/08 VCDS 021 151514Z JUL 08 - PRIMARY RESERVE CLASS A FOREIGN SERVICE
http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2008/129-08_e.asp

REFS: A. MOU BETWEEN THE DEPT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE OF CANADA AND THE MOD OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
CONCERNING THE RESERVE FORCES FOREIGN SERVICE ARRANGEMENT DATED 17 MAY 05 (DND 2000052201)
B. MOU BETWEEN THE AUSTRALIAN DEPT OF DEFENCE AND THE DEPT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE OF CANADA CONCERNING THE RESERVE FORCES FOREIGN
SERVICE ARRANGEMENT DATED 20 JUN 07 (DND 2007013432)

THE CHIEF OF RESERVES AND CADETS (C RES AND CDTS) SIGNED THE TWO REFERENCE DOCUMENTS FOR CANADA ENABLING MEMBERS OF THE PRIMARY RESERVE (P RES) FROM CANADA, THE UK, OR AUSTRALIA TO PARADE IN THE OTHERS COUNTRY WHILE MAINTAINING THEIR CLASS A PARADING STATUS AT THEIR HOME UNITS. THESE ARRANGEMENTS ENSURE DUTY OF CARE FOR MEMBERS PARADING IN THE HOST NATION, A CONTINUATION OF SERVICE WITH THE PARENT UNIT WHILE OUT OF THE COUNTRY, AND AN OPPORTUNITY TO COMPARE, AND CONTRAST TRAINING WITH ALLIED NATIONS. THE AIM OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROMULGATE THE PROCESS REQUIRED TO ACCESS THE RESERVE FORCES FOREIGN SERVICE ARRANGEMENTS (RFFSA) WITH THE UK AND AUSTRALIA AND TO ENSURE THAT P RES CLASS A RESERVISTS ARE AWARE OF THE OPTION TO PARADE OUTSIDE OF CANADA WHEN THE NECESSITY ARISES DUE TO CIVILIAN CIRCUMSTANCES REQUIRING AN INTERNATIONAL RELOCATION

APPROVAL AND COORDINATION OF THE MOU S IS DONE AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL BETWEEN THE SIGNATORY MOD STAFFS. C RES AND CDTS IS THE NATIONAL AUTHORITY FOR RESERVISTS FROM WITHIN CANADA AND IS ALSO THE AUTHORITY FOR RESERVISTS FROM OUTSIDE OF CANADA. THE DIRECTOR RESERVES (D RES) IS THE OFFICE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE MOU S ON BEHALF OF C RES AND CDTS

P RES MEMBERS MAY APPLY THROUGH THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND TO D RES FOR PERMISSION TO PARADE OUTSIDE OF CANADA. PERSONNEL RELOCATING TO THE UK OR AUSTRALIA WILL BE ADMINISTERED USING THE EXISTING MOUS. D RES WILL MAKE APPLICATION TO INTERNATIONAL STAFFS ON BEHALF OF THE APPLICANT AND NOTIFY THE CHAIN OF COMMAND WHEN PERMISSIONS ARE IN PLACE ENABLING FOLLOW-ON DIRLAUTH FOR SENDING AND RECEIVING UNITS

PRIMARY RESERVISTS RELOCATING TO COUNTRIES OTHER THAN THE UK OR AUSTRALIA MAY APPLY FOR CONSIDERATION TO PARADE ON A CLASS A BASIS USING ONE OF THE EXISTING MOU S AS A TEMPLATE. D RES WILL THEN DETERMINE ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS WHETHER IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A PARADING ARRANGEMENT TO BE MADE OR NOT

THE GUIDE TO USING THE EXISTING RESERVE FORCES FOREIGN SERVICE ARRANGEMENTS CAN BE FOUND ON THE D RES WEBSITE AT: http://HTTP://VCDS.MIL.CA/DRES/PUBS/COMPENSATION/NEWMOU UNDERSCORE E.ASP

Offline Spectrum

• I'm from the government; I'm here to help you
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: PRIMARY RESERVE CLASS A FOREIGN SERVICE
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 11:48:07 »
Say I just wanted to go on "vacation" to AUS for a year or so, can I still apply for this or is it only for people being forced by work or education requirements to go there?

I can't look on the DIN or whatever it is...

Thanks.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 12:10:26 »
Say I just wanted to go on "vacation" to AUS for a year or so, can I still apply for this or is it only for people being forced by work or education requirements to go there?

Thanks.

copied from the site, looks like no:

All members of the Primary Reserve or UK Reserve Forces relocating temporarily to either Canada or the UK as a result of a job transfer or secondment with civilian employers, or for purposes of attending an educational institution may apply under the provisions of the MOU through their chain of command
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

aesop081

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 12:12:38 »

Thanks.

Are you not doing a CT to the RegF anyways ?

Offline exgunnertdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 12:35:55 »
Applying common sense...(OK, dangerous, I know)...How could/why would the PRes limit your ability to take advantage of this based on why you are going?  Another example that doesn't fall into the examples listed - say you are the PRes spouse/child of a RegF member posted on an exchange, or the spouse/child of a civilian being transfered there/studying there.  I think the website info could be "examples" and not all-inclusive.  The benefits to the CF and the member are still there.
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
"God fights on the side with the best artillery"
- Napoleon

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 12:47:25 »
Applying common sense...(OK, dangerous, I know)...How could/why would the PRes limit your ability to take advantage of this based on why you are going?  Another example that doesn't fall into the examples listed - say you are the PRes spouse/child of a RegF member posted on an exchange, or the spouse/child of a civilian being transfered there/studying there.  I think the website info could be "examples" and not all-inclusive.  The benefits to the CF and the member are still there.

directly from the memo of understanding (MOU):

The RFFSA will apply to a Reserve Force Member who is in the Receiving State attending school, working for a civilian employer on temporary assignment, or while accompanying a family member who is attending school or on a temporary work assignment. 
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline Spectrum

• I'm from the government; I'm here to help you
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 14:48:53 »
Are you not doing a CT to the RegF anyways ?

Yeah I got a call today from Ottawa wondering why I'm still waiting to be interviewed etc...my unit has not updated my file or sent the required documents to the required pers, even after I gave it to them...Ottawa wants to fast track me, but it all hinges on a few people doing work, and need I say as a Pte I have little pull when it comes to getting stuff done.

THUS, I have money, I have time...but I'm still looking for my adventure. I guess I could always take a basket weaving course in Aus and do this...

Offline exgunnertdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 18:43:45 »

The RFFSA will apply to a Reserve Force Member who is in the Receiving State attending school, working for a civilian employer on temporary assignment, or while accompanying a family member who is attending school or on a temporary work assignment. 

Ah - that's clear, then.  The "vacation" thing wasn't so much a concern, but I would have thought that dependents should be included.  Makes more sense now.  Thanks.
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
"God fights on the side with the best artillery"
- Napoleon

Offline Snakedoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 00:52:43 »

I may be pulling a technicality but for the provision 'working for a civilian employer on a temporary assignment,' can the civilian employer potentially be a foreign (ie Australian) one?  For someone without citizenship in the foreign country, a work visa would require that employment be a 'temporary assignment.'

Offline GUNN

• Rate Post
Canadian reservist attach to ADF reserves?
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 21:17:52 »
Hey guys, I'm currently a reservist in Toronto. I am planning to move to Australia in December. I am curious as to how I would go about getting attached to an ADF reserve unit in Sydney? A couple buddies of mine are trying to do the same as we speak, but they said that it is difficult and taking forever to figure out. I figure if I get a jump on this, maybe by December they will be ready for me. I am planning to return to Canada after about 24 months, as my civvie career dictates. Any ideas on how to get the ball rolling? Thanks.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Canadian reservist attach to ADF reserves?
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 21:24:49 »
Just off the top of my head, I would suggest several things.  Go through your Chain of Command with your request.  Find a "Sister" or Affiliated Unit, if you can.  Contact the Australian Embassy/Consulate for information.  Contact the Canadian Defence Attache (through the proper channels).  Talk to Australian Troops and see if they have any ideas of what process to take.

Exchanges have occurred in the past and will continue to happen, so you have some hope.  Hopefully, it can be figured out before you have to be back.   ;D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 22:47:26 »
Greetings for a sunny but wet day here on the east coast of Queensland in Australia.

A plan does exist for the AABC countries to do this 'exchange' (there is an actual agreement between nations --- try doing a search for this on here as I am sure thats where I read it), best suited for those who would be temporary in Australia, that being for study or employment, etc. However if you are moving to Australia, best to do a lateral transfer and come a board that way.

Plenty of 'Choco' (Army Reseve) units in Sydney. Pretty much all the basic Corps and Combat Arms such as Inf, Engr, and Arty. Armd lost their M113s, trading them in for 6x6 recce vehicles. There is CSS, thats 5 CSSB  (like a Svc Bn - huge and a mass of confusion), plus many units will have their own sub-CSS atts, such as Tpt, Medics, Sigs, RAEME etc.

Try www.defencejobs.gov.au for starters.

Good luck,

OWDU

EDIT: Do you know what suburb you will be living in? Sydney is huge pretty much 100km x 80km rectangle of a ratsnest full of angry unfriendly people, and traffic does NOT move well. I lived there for 10 yrs (at Cronulla) before coming here to Queensland.

If you want, PM me and I will get you some direct telephone numbers for recruitment, so you can ring direct if you go the recruitment angle. Time is Z+10 here (AEST).

Since you are Infantry there is 1/19 RNSWR at Sutherland, 4/3 RNSWR at Holsworthy, 1 Cdo Reg't at the northern subs, and Sydney University Reg't (SUR) near Randwick. There is more. Try googling these and see what you get. I can then get the phone number for that Trg WO from a unit you choose.

I do beleive that 4/3 also has a Coy at a MUD (Multi User Depot) in Kogorah, sharing with a RAA unit, and also a Coy in Sutherland at another MUD, 2/17 still might be operating out of 8 Bde's Timor Bks off Kissing Pt Rd in Dundas.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 23:15:07 by Overwatch Downunder »
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 22:58:01 »
The MoU with the UK is a start point: http://www.vcds-vcemd.forces.gc.ca/dres/pb/nm-npe/index-eng.asp

As long as your current unit is willing to pay you abroad there shouldn't be a problem - there have been Canadian Reservists in Australia before under similar circumstances.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Aerobicrunner

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2009, 14:28:44 »
We do have an Reserve MOU with Australia with a date of 20 Jun 07.  It is located on the Intranet here:  http://vcds.mil.ca/cres_cdt/dres/00native/Australia-Canada-RFFSA-MOU_e.pdf   

Offline Digger Hale

• Rate Post
  • Striving for Mediocracy in a world of Excellance
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2009, 05:26:49 »
Even if it seems like a challange mate, could i VERY strongly suggest that you follow this up as hard as you can?
I did it the other way around, although i was a Reservist on full time service, and absolutely loved my time in Canada back in '06. I see it as one of the defining periods of my life and it helped me fall even furthur in love with the Army. I loved every minute i was over there for and would do it again in an instant.
Even though your a dirty grunt, our grunt choco's do some pretty great stuff and get some really good training done. You'd find it a huge eye opener (The aussie bush will blow your MIND) and you'll hopefully go home with a F88 Steyr Qualifcation which is always a good talking point.
Goodluck mate and PLEASE, work your arse off to get this, you wont regret it.
"Then imitate the actions of the tiger, stiffen the sinews, conjure up the blood...
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath, and bend up every spirit to his full height..."

Offline GUNN

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2009, 19:14:17 »
do you think I'll be able to go on any ADF courses down there?

Offline Digger Hale

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2009, 19:48:34 »
What sort of courses are you talking about? (By the way, they're Army courses, we're not amalgated like your CF). Keep in mind you'll be attached to the Reserves where things are a little more lax then their Regular brothers, having said that though, you probably wont be sent away for an Army Junior leaders course or something flash like that. You might, depending on how its being run, get onto a support company course, like mortars, recon or the like. You'd have to show people that your a clever type of chap though and that you deserve it.
You'd definately be able to get out into the bush for a bush exercise.
All this can only happen if you get a good regiment or battalion and if they're doing things at that time.

EDIT to add, if your over when they've got a range shoot you will more then likely get taught the Steyr and the Minimi and get weapon qual's too
"Then imitate the actions of the tiger, stiffen the sinews, conjure up the blood...

Offline GUNN

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2009, 00:04:55 »
Sounds good to me! Is there any particularly good regiment/company in or around Sydney that stands out?

Offline Digger Hale

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2009, 01:19:10 »
Your best bet, i reckon, is to research it on the internet. But if you could arrange it, you could do a lot worse then go to the 1 Commando. They're Reserves but from what i've heard they're very good. Email people though, chase it up and make some calls. Thats your best bet.

Offline CorporalMajor

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2009, 17:01:22 »
You know, even though it's expensive I've known a lot of people go over to AUS to study something.  For me it would be a dream come true.  I always wanted to go to AUS plus the Aussie Army are PRO.

Wonder if the British Army Res do something like this as well.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process He does not become a monster.
And when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Offline GUNN

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2009, 22:07:46 »
yeah, it'd be nice to get my aussie wings while I'm down there too! wonder if I could get some jumps in with those boys (probably wishful thinking) ::)