Author Topic: Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs  (Read 59444 times)

Offline ezbeatz

• Rate Post
PLAR - PLQ to BMOQ
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2013, 14:44:11 »
I have been spending the last few hours trying to find a definitive answer on this question including on this forum with no luck so far so I'm starting a new thread. If there's another thread that covers this topic that someone has a link for that be great.

My question is as follows: I'm doing a CT from reserves as an NCM to reg force officer as a pilot. I know the PLAR will assess prior training and skills. Does having the new PLQ mods 1, 2 & 3 meet the PLAR requirement for the 13-week BMOQ (now mods 1-5)? My brokerage(?) officer (individual handling my CT application in Ottawa) stated that BMQ will allow me to bypass the first part of BMOQ but that ILQ (Sgt's course) is required to bypass all 13 weeks of officer training. I'm not sure if that's correct.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: PLAR - PLQ to BMOQ
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2013, 14:56:44 »
There is a PLAR DIN site under CMP/CDA...try searching "CDA PLAR BMOQ" on the DIN.  I have the link in my bookmarks at work, can fwd tomorrow if no dice for you.
"Stop telling everyone I'm an *******; I like to see the look on their face when they realize it for themselves..."

Offline ezbeatz

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 15:12:04 »
There is a PLAR DIN site under CMP/CDA...try searching "CDA PLAR BMOQ" on the DIN.  I have the link in my bookmarks at work, can fwd tomorrow if no dice for you.

Thanks. I'll try that tonight.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2013, 15:22:08 »
As you have NOT COMPLETED the PLQ, I would think that your chances are slim to non-existant.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Eowyn

• Rate Post
  • Log
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2013, 15:22:36 »
Life Blood of Battle

Offline ezbeatz

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2013, 15:29:24 »
As you have NOT COMPLETED the PLQ, I would think that your chances are slim to non-existant.

The PLQ format change this year so Mod 6 - part 1 is now Mod 3. Mod 6 Inf is now Mod 4 but only the infantry has to do Mod 4 so would having the new Mod 3 count as having completed PLQ for other trades?

Offline ezbeatz

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 15:30:15 »
Here is the DIN link.

http://cda.mil.ca/j3ops/milequiv/botp-eng.asp

Thanks! I'm not on a DIN comp now but I'll check it out tonight when I have access to one.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 16:07:34 »
The PLQ format change this year so Mod 6 - part 1 is now Mod 3. Mod 6 Inf is now Mod 4 but only the infantry has to do Mod 4 so would having the new Mod 3 count as having completed PLQ for other trades?

Now if, on the other hand, you had your BMOQ done, then it would qualify you as PLQ.  I am not so sure it works the other way around, as there are things on BMOQ that will not be taught on PLQ.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

MikeL

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2013, 16:14:07 »

Yes,  only the Infantry do the Infantry Mod 4;  BUT their is a Army Mod 4 that all non Infantry Soldiers do.

I don't know how PLQ works out for RCN and RCAF pers.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 16:17:07 by -Skeletor- »

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2013, 16:20:21 »
Add this into the equation.
"Stop telling everyone I'm an *******; I like to see the look on their face when they realize it for themselves..."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 16:22:13 »
I don't know how PLQ works out for RCN and RCAF pers.

AFAIK, it is the CF PLQ QS and TP.  Some RCAF types do it at the ACA in Borden, I've known some to do it with the Navy in Halifax (CFNOS?) and Aldershot.

Offline ARMY_101

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2013, 14:46:06 »
I've asked the same question since I also have a CT in from PRes NCM to RegF officer.  A qualified MCpl will bypass BMOQ, CAP, and proceed directly onto their trades course.  Upon completion of the trades course, they will be promoted to Lt.  This is the latest I've been told, but of course we're all unique and should get a specific answer straight from D Mil C 7.

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
  • Don't shoot the messenger
Re: Prior Learning assessment Review( PLAR )
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2013, 11:55:38 »
A couple questions on PLARs:

1. When outlining how I've met the requirements of a qual or course, is it better to use the performance objectives listed in the TP or QS for that course, or the performance requirements listed in the qual specification?

2. If a member of the Army wants to PLAR a CF qual that is not controlled by the Army, how will that affect the PLAR process? Do they still go through LFDTS?

(Searched a lot of threads on PLARs, but most are in the recruiting section, and that's not the kind of PLAR I'm interested in).

Offline ARMY_101

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2013, 08:14:10 »
Here is the DIN link.

http://cda.mil.ca/j3ops/milequiv/botp-eng.asp

Does CDA also process the waivers for CAP? What I stated in my post above is still accurate according to my unit, but I'm trying to find the references if needed.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2013, 08:26:52 »
I don't believe so; that would be DAT/LFDTS for a CA 'owned' course.  There is a LFCO (24-20?) that should confirm/give details.   I can't remember the exact LFCO and am home prepping for my pack/load.

Offline ARMY_101

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2013, 08:29:52 »
I don't believe so; that would be DAT/LFDTS for a CA 'owned' course.  There is a LFCO (24-20?) that should confirm/give details.   I can't remember the exact LFCO and am home prepping for my pack/load.

Outstanding, found it.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2013, 09:43:21 »
Confirms the "UFI" section of brain is still a well-oiled machine.

Now if I could only find my car keys....

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
  • Don't shoot the messenger
Re: Prior Learning assessment Review( PLAR )
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2013, 09:54:55 »
Can anyone share a working link to the "Canadian Forces Equivalency Database"?

Offline vend131

• Rate Post
Will my college/Certification meet PLAR requirements for Med Tech?
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 14:08:15 »
First I would like to thank those who reply in advance and apologize if this is similar to another post.

My question is in regards to the PLAR as the tittle suggests, I am a graduate of the St Lawrence College Primary Care Paramedic Program in Ontario and a certified AEMCA. I have been working through my Medical Technician application since February of 2013, to this point I have completed my CFAT, Medical and Interview and my references have been contacted. So far things have been moving along fairly well despite long gaps in between being contacted, but I am wondering if there is any way of finding out whether my credentials will holdup for the PLAR and how long the review process usually takes.

I haven't been able to get a clear answer from the recruiters so I figured where better to turn than to the Military community.
Again thank you for any help provided.

Regards

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Will my college/Certification meet PLAR requirements for Med Tech?
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2014, 14:43:21 »
PLAR's have been discussed previously.  They take however long they need to take.  There is a whole sub-forum dedicated to the medical branch here http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?board=45.0, start reading.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Will my college/Certification meet PLAR requirements for Med Tech?
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2014, 15:57:58 »
First I would like to thank those who reply in advance and apologize if this is similar to another post.
My question is in regards to the PLAR as the tittle suggests, I am a graduate of the St Lawrence College Primary Care Paramedic Program in Ontario and a certified AEMCA. I have been working through my Medical Technician application since February of 2013, to this point I have completed my CFAT, Medical and Interview and my references have been contacted. So far things have been moving along fairly well despite long gaps in between being contacted, but I am wondering if there is any way of finding out whether my credentials will holdup for the PLAR and how long the review process usually takes.
 I haven't been able to get a clear answer from the recruiters so I figured where better to turn than to the Military community.
Again thank you for any help provided.
Regards

No, the program from St Lawrence College isn't on the list, so you require a full PLAR which will take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2-4 months.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Crispy Bacon

• Banned
  • Rate Post
The Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) Process
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2014, 08:34:51 »
(This applies to current CAF members who are OTing/CTing/doing whatever career move that requires the use of the PLAR system. I have no experience with PLARs for applicants/new recruits.)

Reference: DAOD 5031-1

As I posted here earlier, I’ve recently gone through the VOT process from combat arms to RMS Clk.  I’ve been combat arms for 6 years but working out of trade for the last 2.  A big part of my VOT was the prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR) process.  My experience resulted in having all of RMS Clk QL3 written off.  However, each case is unique and you need to justify why your experience counts.

There was A LOT of confusion about this program and how it works, including here on the forums.  I thought I would provide a few tips learned through my experience:

1. Read the DAOD referenced above.

2. The purpose of a PLA is to recognize ANY relevant training, experience, or knowledge gained outside of the military in accordance with ANY formal military courses.  If you think your secret weekend ninja gig qualifies you for your underwater ninja knife-fighting course, request it.  If you think your part-time mechanic job might qualify you towards being a Vehicle Tech, request it.  If you think working at McDonald’s means you might have some credit towards being a Cook, request it.  Point being, if you don’t ask you won’t know.

3. You DO NOT need to have 100% of the experience you’d get on a course in order to have that course written off.  The CAF is willing to accept a “reasonable risk” that does not impact safety or legal requirements if you have completed at least 70% of the course’s experience.  The CAF is willing to give you the remaining 30% through OJT/your home unit/training at another unit.  In this current budget-constrained environment, you can bet the CAF is going to be very sympathetic when it comes to defining “risk” to keep members at home and avoid having to send them on TD for several months.

4. PLAR is NOT a home unit chain of command decision.  No, your Section Commander/Platoon WO/Chief Clerk etc. DO NOT determine your PLAR results.  If your Section Commander unilaterally shuts down your PLAR request because “you can’t do that,” they don’t know what they’re talking about.

5. Where your home unit chain of command does come into play is in verifying your request.  Just because you say “I worked in the Orderly Room doing releases for six months” doesn’t mean anything.  Prove it. “Proof” can include:

a. Letters of recommendation
b. Supporting letters from your CO/chain of command
c. Terms of reference
d. Your MPRR (to the extent that you were in a position for a certain number of days)
e. Course certificates/reports
f. PERs/PDRs from being in that position
g. Samples of work

Now, here’s what you need to do:

1. Learn your occupation’s managing authority.  This is usually an L2 organization and is the ONLY cell that has the ability to PLAR your experience.  For support trades, it’s CDA.

2. Find the training plan for your course.

3. From the training plan, you will be able to determine the course’s POs and EOs.  For example, you need to find:

PO 001: do stuff
PO 002: do things
PO 003: get creative
PO 004: lead PT
PO 005: spell your name correctly

4. This is what the course “is.”  Now you need to equate your experience with what the course is.  It’s easiest to do this through a table that clearly breaks down your experience within that specific PO.

5. Ideally, if you’re OTing, your PLAR is completed and back to you BEFORE you ACCEPT a VOT.  Part of the VOT application is “PLAR results” which means you should know those results.  However, a PLAR can be requested at any time.

6. Be specific.  Do not bullshit, but also realize that you probably have experience you don’t even think about.  The person sitting down to look at your file does this every day and does not know you personally.  They are not about to ask you for more information or ask what you mean if something is unclear – they will simply reject your PLAR for lack of substantiation.  It is YOUR job to prove your experience.  Have you been a grocery store cashier? Do you have a driver’s licence?  Were you on a university school council?  Do you write for your school’s monthly newsletter?  What did you do in these positions?

7. Include dates.  How long was your experience?  One day?  A week? Two months?  Ten years?

8. Now you probably have a big fat file of everything from your BMQ course report to the painting you did for Mother’s Day in grade 3.  Great.  This file goes to your chain of command for them to verify for your experience (see above).  They may write a letter for the CO to sign that verifies your experience and recommends your PLAR be accepted, or they may only make sure you’re not BSing about being a JTF2 assaulter on weekends.  Or they may say nothing, and submit it for processing.  Electronically copy everything before it goes up your chain of command.

9. Now you wait.  Your Chief Clk should be sending everything directly to the managing authority; electronically is the new trend because these PLARs can be several hundred pages (depending on the request) and mail is expensive.  I’d say three weeks is a reasonable period to wait after submitting your PLAR to the Chief Clk before asking if they received a response.

10. Eventually, you will receive a letter from the managing authority that says “Congratulations, you’ve been granted xxx qualification” or “Sorry, the documents provided do not prove you have the experience for your underwater knife-fighter qualification.”

I hope this helps.  If anyone has any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 08:41:26 by Crispy Bacon »
Banned for registering when already banned, among other things.

Offline Krista13

• Rate Post
Prior Learning assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2014, 13:26:30 »
Good afternoon.

A PLAR was submitted on my behalf on June 6th.  Can you tell me how long the process normally takes?  I am an older recruit and if it is going to drag on (I have read about some extremely lengthy processing times on here), I will change my application to RMS clerk.  I don't want to be sitting here a year from now, still working at job I dislike.

Thanks!

Offline Captain Mark

• Rate Post
Re: PLAR Timeline
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2014, 15:52:00 »
The Prior Learning Assessment Review (PLAR) is not conducted by recruiting centres/detachments and, as such, it would be inappropriate to speculate on what you may or may not be granted, or the time it will take to complete. Many factors play into the amount of time it can take to complete a PLAR, including the qualifications being sought.

I would advise against making occupation choices based on the amount of time it takes to complete a PLAR, or your discontent with your current job. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that you will be offered a job in any of your occupational choices.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Prior Learning Assessment Review - PLAR
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2014, 16:27:33 »
Some of you wishing to join the Canadian Armed Forces, may have special skills or education that can be credited towards your training.  This is where one may need to have a Prior Learning Assessment Review (PLAR) done.  The amount of time that it will take to have a PLAR completed will depend on what Trade you are attempting to enroll in, and the skill sets and/or education you may have.  Everyone is an individual, with different skills and education, and therefore assessed on individual cases, so there is no set time for the completion of the PLAR.

Please Note:

The Prior Learning Assessment Review (PLAR) is not conducted by recruiting centres/detachments and, as such, it would be inappropriate to speculate on what you may or may not be granted, or the time it will take to complete. Many factors play into the amount of time it can take to complete a PLAR, including the qualifications being sought.

I would advise against making occupation choices based on the amount of time it takes to complete a PLAR, or your discontent with your current job. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that you will be offered a job in any of your occupational choices.