Author Topic: CH-148 Cyclone Progress  (Read 530002 times)

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
CH-148 Cyclone Progress
« on: September 30, 2005, 11:14:25 »
100 MUSD over 20 years for avionics, simulators, training and support

Rockwell Collins Contracts with Sikorsky on Canadian Helicopter Program

(Source: Rockwell Collins; issued Sept. 29, 2005)

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa --- Rockwell Collins has been selected by Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. to provide avionics, simulators, training and support on its S-92 platform for the Canadian Maritime Helicopter Program. 

The program has a potential value of more than $100 million to Rockwell Collins over the 20-year life of the program. 

"This agreement demonstrates that Rockwell Collins provides a complete rotary wing cockpit solution to our customers," said Woody Hogle Jr., vice president and general manager of Integrated Systems for Rockwell Collins Government Systems. "Our solution includes equipment, development and integration, as well as training and support throughout the duration of the program." 

Equipment selected for the program includes Rockwell Collins' integrated cockpit solution for the S-92, as well as the new Rockwell Collins EyeHUDâ„¢ helmet mounted display, two (2) Level D equivalent full-flight simulators and communications products. The concurrent development of the simulator and aircraft systems will allow Rockwell Collins to integrate the simulation hooks into the avionics development to provide the end user an integrated training system that will maintain currency between the aircraft systems and full flight simulators. 

Rockwell Collins is a worldwide leader in the design, production, and support of communication and aviation electronics for commercial and government customers. The company's 17,000 employees in 27 countries deliver industry-leading communication, navigation, surveillance, display, flight control, in-flight entertainment, information management, and maintenance, training and simulation solutions. 

-ends- 

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.4308111.1089903978.QPadasOa9dUAAESlMZk&modele=jdc_34
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 14:36:25 by kratz »
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
Re: CH-148 Cyclone Progress
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 19:53:27 »
Replacements for Canada's Sea Kings running late

By MICHAEL TUTTON

HALIFAX (CP) - Replacement helicopters for Canada's geriatric fleet of Sea Kings will be delivered at least 5 1/2 weeks late from Sikorsky International because of a strike at the company's factory in the United States.

However, the federal government says the delay is reasonable, and it is forgoing the late penalty provisions in the contract, which allowed it to charge up to $100,000 a day in penalties to a maximum of $36 million. The $1.85-billion deal announced with fanfare by the federal Liberals in 2004 required delivery of the first of 28 maritime helicopters by Nov. 30, 2008.

That has been changed to Jan. 9, 2009.

At the time of the announcement, federal officials emphasized that the penalties would serve as a deterrent to the project being late.

Sikorsky International has blamed the delivery delay of the S-92 Cyclones on a strike by the Teamsters union that ended last April.

Pierre Manoni, a spokesman for the Department of Public Works, said the federal government accepted the explanation.

"The problem with the labour dispute pushed back the delivery date," he said.

"The government determined that a labour dispute caused an excusable delay, and we're going to amend the contract."

Manoni said it's expected the remaining S-92 Sikorsky choppers will be delivered at a rate of one per month after the first aircraft arrives in Canada.

Timely delivery of the Cyclones was emphasized when it was announced, partly because the fleet of existing Sea Kings requires high levels of maintenance.

There have also been two crashes of the Sea Kings in the past three years, the most recent when a helicopter ditched in the ocean off Denmark last February.

Questions about delays started to emerge last February, when The Canadian Press obtained a schedule that indicated the preliminary design for the S-92 helicopters was six months behind its original schedule.

At the time, the Department of National Defence insisted a new schedule was in place for the Cyclones and it said the time would be recovered in a new schedule.

You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Strike delays new choppers
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 06:16:34 »
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007/01/23/pf-3432392.html

January 23, 2007
Strike delays new choppers
By MICHAEL TUTTON

HALIFAX (CP) - Replacement helicopters for Canada's geriatric fleet of Sea Kings will be delivered at least 5 1/2 weeks late from Sikorsky International because of a strike at the company's factory in the United States.

However, the federal government says the delay is reasonable, and it is forgoing the late penalty provisions in the contract, which allowed it to charge up to $100,000 a day in penalties to a maximum of $36 million. The $1.85-billion deal announced with fanfare by the federal Liberals in 2004 required delivery of the first of 28 maritime helicopters by Nov. 30, 2008.

That has been changed to Jan. 9, 2009.

At the time of the announcement, federal officials emphasized that the penalties would serve as a deterrent to the project being late.

Sikorsky International has blamed the delivery delay of the S-92 Cyclones on a strike by the Teamsters union that ended last April.

Pierre Manoni, a spokesman for the Department of Public Works, said the federal government accepted the explanation.

"The problem with the labour dispute pushed back the delivery date," he said.

"The government determined that a labour dispute caused an excusable delay, and we're going to amend the contract."

Manoni said it's expected the remaining S-92 Sikorsky choppers will be delivered at a rate of one per month after the first aircraft arrives in Canada.

Timely delivery of the Cyclones was emphasized when it was announced, partly because the fleet of existing Sea Kings requires high levels of maintenance.

There have also been two crashes of the Sea Kings in the past three years, the most recent when a helicopter ditched in the ocean off Denmark last February.

Questions about delays started to emerge last February, when The Canadian Press obtained a schedule that indicated the preliminary design for the S-92 helicopters was six months behind its original schedule.

At the time, the Department of National Defence insisted a new schedule was in place for the Cyclones and it said the time would be recovered in a new schedule.
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline frist one

• Rate Post
CH-148 CYCLONE
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 19:58:52 »
    I have a question about the weapons that ch-148 will use. Will they used  mk46v. In will the able to handle anti- shipping missiles.        :cdn:

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
Re: CH-148 CYCLONE
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 20:09:39 »
Although specifics of weapons systems would be classified, it's reasonable to assume that the CH148 would be capable of the same weapon systems that the CH124A is capable of employing.

More publicly available info on the CH148 here.

G2G

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 23:09:58 »
While giving the Cyclones an ASM capability would increase its effectiveness it may be more expensive that be desired. You would have to add modifications for the ships to store those missiles, training, establish doctrine.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 23:30:02 »
The 146 looks like a cross between a -53 and -101.  Is Canada buying yet another clunker of the politcal arena?
And, will our ships be able to handle the airframe, it looks like it's larger than a -124?

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 23:32:04 »
The 146 looks like a cross between a -53 and -101.  Is Canada buying yet another clunker of the politcal arena?
And, will our ships be able to handle the airframe, it looks like it's larger than a -124?

Already been discussed mes ami
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid

aesop081

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 23:34:25 »

You mean 148

Offline SF2

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 09:07:06 »
nd, will our ships be able to handle the airframe, it looks like it's larger than a -124?

Its probably safe to assume that they checked that BEFORE they bought them.  We aren't THAT stupid.

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 09:24:06 »
It's a nice looking bird that's for sure.  :)

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 09:36:33 »
From where I sit it looks like someone took a MH-60 and MH-53 gave them some booze with some hole punched condoms!

Offline frist one

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 09:46:28 »
 Has anyone else order the H-92 superhawk .Are we going to be the only one using it.    frist one  :cdn:

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 12:07:06 »
Cougar helicopter already operates the S-92 to Hibernia as we speak.

Offline Haletown

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 12:27:43 »
more info here

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/bg-helo-ch148-cyclone.htm

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 15:18:02 »
frist one a lot of your questions have already been addressed.

Offline frist one

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 16:06:40 »
Thank you for the answers in help, All the best.   :cdn:

Offline newfin

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 11:03:56 »
A little bit of an update regarding CH-148 Cyclone progress.  This article states that the first airframe is entering final assembly now and will be integrated with the new fly-by-wire system being concurrently developed.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/08/03/215927/sikorsky-prepares-fly-by-wire-s-92-for-flight.html

I can't believe we finally have a government that takes the military seriously.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 16:36:55 »
Out of curiousity...will the Cyclones be able to be fitted with C6s like the Sea Kings?

Offline h3tacco

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 16:56:57 »
Yes, the C-6 will be fitted on the CH148.

niceasdrhuxtable

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 21:34:33 »
I remember during my OJT at the PMO MHP, talking with some of guys running the various projects and there was a bit of a grassroots movement to try to get a .50 on the Cyclone instead of the C6. It didn't seem very likely to me in my uniformed naivety but maybe it will be one of those last minute addendums *crosses fingers*

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 21:51:16 »
from a personal perspective, don't think there is a real need to have a 50cal in the door.

A C6 for the door gunner will do quite nicely thank you very much..... if you want more, I would suggest you inquire about pods with a 20 or 25mm to warm things up.  A side order of rockets for good measure?
Chimo!

aesop081

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 22:16:18 »
I remember during my OJT at the PMO MHP, talking with some of guys running the various projects and there was a bit of a grassroots movement to try to get a .50 on the Cyclone instead of the C6. It didn't seem very likely to me in my uniformed naivety but maybe it will be one of those last minute addendums *crosses fingers*

Ever fire a .50 ?

The .50 on a single point mount is enoug of a b**** to fire, let alone at 90-100 kts and the cyclic rate is slower than the C6 (IIRC, sure felt that way). The added weight of the gun and ammunition , IMHO, invalidates any perceived bennefit.

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 21:38:21 »
and there was a bit of a grassroots movement to try to get a .50 on the Cyclone instead of the C6

If someone thinks that they need a .50 cal, vice a C6 as a door gun, on the Cyclone, I suggest that they go the SOCD (statement of capability deficiency) route and staff it up the chain, with proper justification.

There are .50s that are optimised for door gun work...

I personally think that this might be fun:

http://dillonaero.com/SM134.html  >:D (but I can't justify it...)

niceasdrhuxtable

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 05:57:52 »
I personally think that this might be fun:

http://dillonaero.com/SM134.html  >:D (but I can't justify it...)

+1 :D