Author Topic: THE MILITARY - YOUR FAMILY RESPONSIBILITIES - IMPORTANT  (Read 74468 times)

Offline Fusilier

• Rate Post
  • Defence not Defiance
Re: THE MILITARY AND YOUR FAMILY RESPONSIBILITIES - UPDATED FOR 2007
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 13:32:10 »
Thanks Vern, I knw the last one was given the big blue thumb tack but I wanted to make sure the updated version is avail.

;)

Offline ArmyVern

in Ottawa.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 13:33:26 »
Thanks Vern, I knw the last one was given the big blue thumb tack but I wanted to make sure the updated version is avail.

;)

I just recommended the thumb tack for this one too. And now, off to shop.  ;D

Vern
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

aesop081

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 13:36:12 »
Big blue thumb tack status is set....

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 16:09:29 »
Excellent post and an excellent document. You told your son that the AO has to find him but it is usually the Padre who has to find folks first and the AO who follows shortly after.....I understand now in the Army that the AO and the Padre are going together as a Notification team. As one who has spent a lot of time trying to decipher the chicken scratch on a PEN form in the middle of the night only to find out that the NOK moved a year earlier I can support your advice to your son to have the forms up to date. After reading your document I must say it's time I updated my will....kids are grown and gone now and I'm proceeding on IR in January so there are a few things that should be updated etc.
Thanks for this it's an excellent resource.

Offline Fusilier

• Rate Post
  • Defence not Defiance
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 16:45:17 »
IN HOC,

Thanks for your comments much appreciated.  I've heard there may be upcoming changes to the PEN form, and I hope so as I think we can definately make it better.  I've seen the US version, it's a 2 or 3 page doc but covers just about everything you would ever need as a form for your PERS file and to give your NOK as a referance.  I'm in the process of DAGing people now and trying to make them understand the importance of these docs is like talking to a brick wall!!  I will (beat them if I have to) make them understand!

"slap" - get going and update your will  ;)

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 17:24:44 »
Nice, could have used that a few years ago, too late now...

One question - on Page 8, it says MARTIAL BREAKDOWN EFFECTS ON BENEFITS - MEDICAL/DENTAL

Should that be 'marital' instead of 'martial'?

Offline Fusilier

• Rate Post
  • Defence not Defiance
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 17:27:09 »
OMG....holy crap you are so right!  I'll correct my copy - thanks so much!!  so much for spell check! ;D

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 17:54:57 »
Are you comfortable with me printing some copies off to give to my soldiers, especially the new ones?
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Fusilier

• Rate Post
  • Defence not Defiance
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 17:58:30 »
I have no problem with anyone using it.  Just remember it's not an official document, but is it my work and I do and will take responsibility for any omissions/errors.  My name is on it so just blame me  ;)

The purpose is awareness and info, so plse feel free to use it if it's helpful

Offline Mr.Newf

• King of the Granite Planet
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 18:03:02 »
Hm, I can use this in the future, thanks!
I am the one and only

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 19:26:00 »
One question I did have was about the common-law marriage.  Your document says it is not recognized by the CF until one year has passed. 

I thought it used to be six months?  Is that right or has it always been one year?

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 20:01:19 »
IN HOC,

Thanks for your comments much appreciated.  I've heard there may be upcoming changes to the PEN form, and I hope so as I think we can definately make it better.  I've seen the US version, it's a 2 or 3 page doc but covers just about everything you would ever need as a form for your PERS file and to give your NOK as a referance.  I'm in the process of DAGing people now and trying to make them understand the importance of these docs is like talking to a brick wall!!  I will (beat them if I have to) make them understand!

"slap" - get going and update your will  ;)

No doubt. I've seen cases where the SDB goes to the mother because the member did his form when he was in Basic and never revised it when he married. that gave the family a lot of heartache after the fact. as mentioned the stories of us trying to find someone on the NOK form who has moved or the relationship has changed i.e. divorce etc are many. No one thinks they are ever going to die (denial) so of course it's not important to make proper plans and fill out the forms properly.
Got your slap...I'm all over it.

Offline Steve

• Mentally hilarious
  • Rate Post
  • No claim for you!
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2007, 20:15:12 »
One question I did have was about the common-law marriage.  Your document says it is not recognized by the CF until one year has passed. 

I thought it used to be six months?  Is that right or has it always been one year?

6 months for civvie land, 1 year for us
I fell off the jungle gym.. and when I woke up, I was in Petawawa..

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2007, 20:36:10 »
Fusilier:

When I was CC 3 VP I incorporated a similar document into my unit's Adm Instr - I stole it from 1 VP, I think - with permission.  This would have been in '02 - '03.  Would that have been your work as well?  If so, excellent work then and regardless if that old one was yours, excellent work now.

Roy
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2007, 22:13:54 »
6 months for civvie land, 1 year for us

Does anyone know why it is 1 year then? 

I might have missed this as well, but does time away on tour still count towards co-habitation according to CF regs?  Im also interested in learning if this is being applied to reserve personnel who accept six month deployments - if they are away for a six month period, does that time count towards co-habitation, enabling new spousal benefits partway or after a tour?  I might have to address this with our company's HR department policies when discussing employee and spousal benefits.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 07:01:51 »
Does anyone know why it is 1 year then? 

I might have missed this as well, but does time away on tour still count towards co-habitation according to CF regs?  Im also interested in learning if this is being applied to reserve personnel who accept six month deployments - if they are away for a six month period, does that time count towards co-habitation, enabling new spousal benefits partway or after a tour?  I might have to address this with our company's HR department policies when discussing employee and spousal benefits.

Check out this thread for more references on Common Law.

Ref:  CFAO 19-41 para 5
5.     The continuous period of at least one year referred to in subparagraph
(2)(c) of  QR&O 1.075 may include periods of involuntary separation for
such reasons as temporary duty, attached posting or unaccompanied posting
(eg, a six-month UN tour). However, the couple must have resided together
as husband and wife during the remainder of the one-year period .
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Fusilier

• Rate Post
  • Defence not Defiance
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2007, 10:36:43 »
Roy, yup that was me (1 VP 1996-2007).  I sent it out to all the Bde units to make use of if they wished.  Thanks for the comments!

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2007, 10:54:14 »
Roy, yup that was me (1 VP 1996-2007).  I sent it out to all the Bde units to make use of if they wished.  Thanks for the comments!

You're welcome - forward them to your boss for PER points!!
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline Fusilier

• Rate Post
  • Defence not Defiance
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2007, 14:15:00 »
Ha ha, don't know if it would get me anywhere.  Besides, didn't do it for points but to "enlighten" and educate my Pl Comds, the original draft was put out in 1999.  I did submit it to the Bde as something that may be more useful if it was an official booklet (like the Pregnancy and the CF booklet) but nothing came of it.  Maybe I'll try again ;)

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2007, 15:33:24 »
Check out this thread for more references on Common Law.

Ref:  CFAO 19-41 para 5

Excellent, thanks for the assist.

Offline 3VP Highlander

• Rate Post
  • 39+ years service to date and still enjoying it !!
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2007, 16:21:04 »
Fusilier

Thanks for the updated info.  It will be very handy for a lot of our new soldiers.

Offline CHIEF MILITARY PERSONNEL

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2008, 18:08:28 »
If forms are not up to date, nothing can be done; the policy is clear given the huge sums of monies that can be involved in some cases - what is on any form, regardless of the date on the form, is taken as the "last wishes and the direction" of our men and women in uniform.  The leadership must remind, on a regular basis, the men and women under its command to keep these forms up to date. Aside from the PEN form, another good example of a forum that needs to be kept up to date is the Memorial Cross form.   

Ws

MOD EDIT: took the blue out so it could be read.
Bruce
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 18:10:28 by Bruce Monkhouse »

Offline Fusilier

• Rate Post
  • Defence not Defiance
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2008, 12:41:46 »
CMP,

Are you making a comment on content?  Ie; something that must be updated, if so please specify where in the document so that I may amend it.

Understood, we must accept the forms as they are, however members must also accept responsibility for themselves and be an active participant in their own administration.  As administrators all we can do is remind, nag etc both the chain of command and members to ensure their info is kept up to date.  Document review must be done a minimum of once a year, orderly rooms must ensure that their change of marital status checklists (as per A-PM-245) is updated to include new forms etc as they are introduced.  A standardized method of filing particular forms must be followed (ie; PA'd to the left side of the UPF for forms that require regular review).  There are many things that can be done and should be done however in the growing piles of administration the importance of these documents sometimes seem to be lost, that is from my experience in receiving files.

Offline Muttenthaler

• Rate Post
  • One shot, one kill. I have a thousand rounds...
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 11:14:18 »
I'm going to forward this doc to some of my "clerk-net". I can't believe you took the time to draft an SOP for doc updating, I admire your work ethic.

As a reminder to all those reading this thread, see your clerks to make sure that your docs are updated. In many cases, the clerks forget, and/or need the practice anyway ;) Just cross your t's and dot your i's and you'll find that policy will work in your favour 9 times out of 10.
"Those who understand higher wisdom do not speak in an ordinary manner. Those who speak in an ordinary manner do not grasp higher knowledge. Close the mouth; shut the door."
- Lao Tzu

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
  • Don't shoot the messenger
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2015, 13:45:06 »
Given that this is still pinned, any chance we'll see an update?