Author Topic: Military Relocation / Posting Policy-Moves [MERGED]  (Read 90367 times)

Offline ven

• Rate Post
Re: Military Relocation / Posting Policy-Moves [MERGED]
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 12:24:09 »
The CF doesnt make it easy for successful people to join up.. its a tough decisions so sell everything I own to start over. Reason to sell everything is because basic pay isnt high enough to pay the bills.morgage insurances basic home needs for family phone internet cable... has anyone gone through this..
Over 1800 views and nothing.

Offline Griffon

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 12:51:27 »
What happens now...

You're taking a pay cut, that's your choice.  Whether someone else has done it successfully is irrelevant, but I guarantee many have done it successfully.  You can, however, forecast your future pay in today's dollars buy looking at the pay scales.  You move up one level every year, and should be promoted to Cpl by the time you've been in for four years.

There is still a demand for the trade, and there will be as long as we have aircraft.  If there was no demand you wouldn't have been offered a position in it.

Most likely bases: no clue.  That's like asking today if it's going to rain on May 17th.  You'll be going to a base with aircraft, so that narrows it down a little.  You need to be open to all the possibilities, but they will ask you for your preference while you are on your course in Borden.  If you want more say, do better on your course.  They often try, as much as is in their power, to get those who do well close to the location they want to go.  But if you want to know for sure where you're going to go, then just ask to go to Cold Lake; I'm sure the Career Manager would be happy to fulfil that request.

Buying a house as a CAF member is the same as anyone else.  No idea what the likelihood of you purchasing again is: I don't know your financial position at all, or where you're going to be posted.  But many members buy homes.

The CAF does make it easy for people to join up, it just isn't that easy financially to switch to a second career once you've become relatively successful in your first.  They have developed an entry plan that pays you decently well for an unskilled worker, and then subsidizes your education on top of that!  Think about it: walk into an aircraft maintenance company and see what they'll pay you with your current resume to work on aircraft structures.  Won't happen.  You'd have to pay for school on your own dime and find the time to do those studies while working full time to pay for it.  With the Air Force, you're getting paid to learn the skills necessary to be productively employed later on.  That's a pretty good deal in my eyes.

No doubt you'll have to adjust your expected standard of living to accommodate your lower pay.  But that's a temporary situation.  It should be a "short term pain for long term gain" scenario.
Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline joecrack

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 19:30:18 »
So I received the phone call and can't be more excited. I will begin my journey 2 June.. 
 I really would like to know what to expect. Its really hard to start over and almost feels like although i'm getting second thoughts.
I have a bought home and a wife.. I guess my question is. Has anyone gone through this. cut salery in more than half as a private and still maintained a living.
Is there still a demand in the trade..
Where are the most likely bases i would have to move to with my family.
Whats it like to buy a house or likeliness to owning a house again.

Im interested in knowing really what happens now its a huge life changing experience for someone like me that isn't starting fresh.. please share your insight.

thanks all

Hi there. I am also starting my basic in June 2 at St. Jean. I'm going in for avn tech though. I have a fiance and we own a condo. We were thinking of renting it out while I'm at borden, with her moving down to borden with me. I don't know the exact details of the pay and if I need to be paying for quarters. Are there quarters for families on base while you are in school in borden ? If your wife is staying home. Maybe her getting a job to cover the lost income ? I'm still all new to this and am looking to also gain information from this post.

Thanks in advance.

Joey

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2014, 18:23:17 »
If a member submits a memo to re-badge from one infantry unit to another would he pay for the move out of his own pocket or would the CF pay for his move?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 18:35:25 by milnews.ca »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2014, 18:34:15 »
The CF pays, that is why it is more common for people to re-badge while at a training centre than in an actual BN as it does not involve a move until their normal posting out of the TC.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2014, 18:48:36 »
Thanks.  This guy is already trained an in a BN. Is there any advice I could give him to try and increase his chances at getting approved for re-badging that you can think of? (I'm not familiar with the specific reasons he's asking)

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2014, 19:03:36 »
Thanks.  This guy is already trained an in a BN. Is there any advice I could give him to try and increase his chances at getting approved for re-badging that you can think of? (I'm not familiar with the specific reasons he's asking)

Is there a personal or compassionate reason involved ?
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2014, 19:19:16 »
I'm not sure, I can ask though.

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2014, 20:47:18 »
If your troop is seeking for contingency or compassionate reasons, DAOD 5003-6 is the relevant reference.

However, these are not without ramifiaction as the troop is essentially saying that, unless his circumstances change, he cannot achieve universality in terms of service.

All other requests fall under the "please, if I may ask, can you move me?" category.

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2014, 01:13:45 »
Remember that rebadging regimental affiliation and moving to a specific location are not necessarily the same thing. Don't request one if you actually want the other.

Example: if the member has a compassionate reason to move to Edmonton in the short term, but simply requests "I want to rebadge to PPCLI", there is every possibility that the member could receive a posting message to the 2nd Battalion in Shilo. Or to the Infantry School in Gagetown. Or an RSS billet in Winnipeg. All of which are perfectly normal positions for a PPCLI infantryman. If the member needs to go to Edmonton right now (possibly even on a contingency or compassionate move), then that's what he should ask for.

If the member has a more long term goal to switch locations (married a francophone girl, likes skiing, wants to raise his kids in French schools) then requesting rebadge is the way to go. A rebadge, for example to R22eR, would result in the bulk of your career being in Valcariter over the long term. But in the short term, there's no reason that you wouldn't be badged to R22eR and for your first posting in the new regiment to be the Infantry School.

Offline Capt. Happy

• Every day is Monday in the Engr Corps
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2014, 14:28:33 »

If your troop is seeking for contingency or compassionate reasons, DAOD 5003-6 is the relevant reference.

However, these are not without ramifiaction as the troop is essentially saying that, unless his circumstances change, he cannot achieve universality in terms of service.

Compassionate, yes. Contingency Cost Move, no. CCM does not prevent deployment, coursing, etc. like a compassionate posting does nor does it pause a member's career progression.

Offline hotbarrelunload

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2014, 13:22:31 »
Joe crack.
You can rent a PMQ and move your wife in. Or she can stay at the condo and you can live in the shacks. You will be paying for rations while in the shacks. $565 a month for food at the mess. your call.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2014, 14:17:07 »
I have a fiance and we own a condo. We were thinking of renting it out while I'm at borden, with her moving down to borden with me.

Unless the CF has authorized you a funded relocation, I definitely wouldn't be doing that.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-ch8.page#art-08-02-02

Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2015, 22:02:19 »
Ill add to this thread to not make a new one.

Does it matter when you take your relocation leave? To start my leave I have one day for travel (thur), a day for losing unit relocation (fri), a weekend, then Canada Day week, then Im starting my annual leave. Can I lump in my gaining unit relocation leave at the end of my annual leave? And Im assuming in this scenario Im pooched for the second relocation leave day of my losing unit?

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2015, 22:38:54 »
Would seem like it acts like other special leave, I've had annual up against special (from taskings). Maybe its just a matter of resubmitting the leave pass so the special relocation is first, and annual after?

Looking at the leave manual, it appears that on posting a member is entitled to 5 days leave from losing unit, and 5 days leave from gaining unit? (3 pers admin, 2 HG&E). That seems generous, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth if its true. One of our fantastic RMS SMEs be able to help out?

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2015, 22:43:43 »
On relocation, your travel days aren't leave days. They are duty days. That is an important distinction -- you are on duty when you travel between losing unit and gaining unit. And you take losing unit relocation leave prior to travel, gaining unit relocation leave after travel. Normal procedure is clear out of unit, relocation leave pass from losing unit until the day before travel, travel on duty status, report to new unit, receive leave pass from gaining unit, go on relocation leave while you unpack.

You didn't mention if you are moving your stuff (what the leave policy manual calls HG&E). If you are moving your stuff through a moving company then some of your days must be taken in conjunction with pack and load/unload and unpack.

Taking annual leave in conjunction with a move can be done, but it can get very complicated very quickly. Make sure you read and understand the references. You don't want a moving truck to be in front of your home trying to unload while you are on leave in Vegas.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/leave-policy.page#chap5

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2015, 11:39:27 »
For members moving on a restricted or prohibited posting (no authority to ship HG&E) the maximum granted is 2 days at each end.
For members moving on a posting with HG&E, it is 3 days for Admin, 2 days for HG&E at each end.

As stated, leave is taken before the travel day(s) begin, and if it can't be done, it is lost.

The intent is to use the Special leave at the locations of the losing and gaining units. A CO would not likely sign off on a leave pass that does not have the place of leave as the new or old place of duty. Therefore, it would be recommended that two separate leave passes be submitted if you aren't taking your annual leave in the geographical area of either duty location.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2015, 11:47:36 »
For members moving on a restricted or prohibited posting (no authority to ship HG&E) the maximum granted is 2 days at each end.
For members moving on a posting with HG&E, it is 3 days for Admin, 2 days for HG&E at each end.

Always loved that discrepancy.  I understand that someone posted IR will not have HG&E moved (although they can ship stuff through CMTT) and they may or may not require "admin" time at their old location as far as getting cable, internet, etc disconnected, but they more than likely will require that time to set up services at their new location.

So my question is, why only 2 days for a restricted member when the breakdown is 3 for "admin" and 2 for HG&E?  Does someone think it's a different process for one person to get cable, internet etc as opposed to a family?
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2015, 12:03:31 »
It probably lies in the fact you don't need to also shuttle family members around and get their admin done as well, thus taking overall less time?

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2015, 12:19:48 »
It probably lies in the fact you don't need to also shuttle family members around and get their admin done as well, thus taking overall less time?

By that reasoning, single people should only get four days relocation leave.  Two for HG&E and two for admin.

It's not the amount of leave that is the issue, it's the wording of the breakdown, IMO.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2015, 12:36:40 »
Back before we had Special Leave - Relocation, I was lucky in that all the bosses I had always treated moving as a tasking and/or part or your job.  In other words, when I was home with the packers/movers I was not required to take leave.  Nor was I required to take leave to change licenses, open new bank accounts, etc.  Sadly, not all bosses were this intelligent and I certainly had friends tell me horror stories of having to take annual leave in order to do these things.  Because of those idiot "leaders" the system had to write a new policy and create a new form of leave.

One of the best bosses I ever had* put it simply - "Take all the time you need to get your family sorted out because once that is done, you can put all your effort into learning your new job."  Looking after your people is always a good investment.  Not only is it actually more efficient and cost-effective, it generates loyalty.

*The only man to whom I've ever given a bottle of scotch in thanks for getting me promoted.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline ixium

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2015, 15:47:35 »
Always loved that discrepancy.  I understand that someone posted IR will not have HG&E moved (although they can ship stuff through CMTT) and they may or may not require "admin" time at their old location as far as getting cable, internet, etc disconnected, but they more than likely will require that time to set up services at their new location.

So my question is, why only 2 days for a restricted member when the breakdown is 3 for "admin" and 2 for HG&E?  Does someone think it's a different process for one person to get cable, internet etc as opposed to a family?

Same with why does a single member get half a months pay and a family person (0 kids or 10 kids) get full months?

Most systems hate on single people.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2015, 16:07:05 »
The whole "month's pay" is another oddity that needs to be revisited; why does a married Doctor LCol with no kids get $20K in relocation, while a Cpl with 5 kids only gets $5K?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2015, 18:53:05 »
Hey, if we start asking two many questions, someone may just look and go, why are they getting extra anything  >:D

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2015, 21:18:26 »
First, thanks to all the replies. It has helped clear up my leave pass.

Second, since we are all b****ing about something I will throw my gripe in. Hopefully people who dont know will read this and realize that relocation leave can only be revoked by the Formation Commander and with cause. And it is not up to the whim of your local Pl/Tp WO to give out as he or she sees fit.

Still peeved about that. But as I was a trusting Cpl to a new trade and didnt want to make waves, I didnt push any buttons. Wont make that mistake again.

Thanks to Eye in the Sky for this post:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/lea-con/cflpm-mprcfc-eng.asp#chap5

Section 5.11 Special Leave (Relocation)

5.11.04 Withholding or limiting leave

Special Leave (Relocation) in consideration of a compulsory relocation on posting or attached-posting may be denied, withheld or limited but only because of exigencies of the service such as time constraints in the event of a rapid deployment or operational reasons beyond the control of the CO. The authority that withholds or limits Special Leave (Relocation) in these situations shall be no lower than the Formation Commander or, in consideration of deployments to an international operation overseas, the force employing operational commander.