Author Topic: Moving in the CF  (Read 47774 times)

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
Moving in the CF
« on: April 05, 2005, 13:42:28 »
Whe  join Reg I want to be PPCLI so I would have to move all my stuff to Edmonton The CF will pay for it correct? Do you move around a lot or does it depend on what you do?
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

Offline 7 - 10 days

• Rate Post
  • "The Grass is Greener!"
Re: Moving in the CF
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 16:51:28 »
Yes CF will pat to move u to each posting.  DEpending on trade, is how often u move.  Infantry not so much.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 11:34:14 »
Thanks 7-10 days. What is Edmonton like?
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005

Offline 7 - 10 days

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 18:12:49 »
lol, i wish.  I am in Shilo, MB right now.  It is what u make of it.  Personally, if I had a choice, I would want 3 PPCLI.  They train all the time, go different places, and do not have LAVs eating up their budgets, light is the way. That said I am proud to be 2VP.  2nd to none.  At the end of the day as long as your a "cowboy" and not a........what do they call the RCR's??    sry couldn't resist.  Iron those uniforms :blotto:  Anywhere in VP and you'll be happy :-)

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 18:28:05 »
Thanks a 7-10 days just a question what do you mean by "cowboy" and "VP" mean thanks maybe dumb question
- Jul 2005

Offline 7 - 10 days

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 00:08:54 »
The CF considers us (PPCLI) the cowboys i.e. wild compared to other regiments.  RCR is a little more straight-lased then us. VP  Is another acronym we use to represent PPCLI  i.e. 2 PPCLI is the same as saying 2 VP.  The literal translation of "VP" is something im not quite clear of.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 09:28:14 »
The CF considers us (PPCLI) the cowboys i.e. wild compared to other regiments.   RCR is a little more straight-lased then us. VP   Is another acronym we use to represent PPCLI   i.e. 2 PPCLI is the same as saying 2 VP.   The literal translation of "VP" is something im not quite clear of.
  Thanks for the clarification just wasn't sure. Do you know if PPCLI needs soldiers?
- Jul 2005

Offline mover1

• Rate Post
  • I wasn't looking at anybodys birthmark man........
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 09:47:38 »
In answer to your original question. Once you are done basic and trades training. The CF will contract a moving company to pacl load and transport your Furniture and Effects (F&E) to your new duty location.
But what If I don't have any furniture? You are saying
The CF will still hire a moving company to come in a pack and load what ever effects you have at home.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 09:49:27 »
I have barley any stuff that would be a waste of money but hey whatever I'm not paying for it :D
- Jul 2005

Offline mover1

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 09:52:36 »
actually the cost for a service like that is much cheaper than you think.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 12:25:58 »
Oh well that's still good then
- Jul 2005

Uberman

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 13:20:17 »
VP stands for "Victoria Patricia".

Offline RedSash

• Rate Post
  • WOG- Worn Out Grunt
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 14:22:12 »
How do you know that you are posted to Edmonton? Do you still have to do basic Training? You might find yourself in the wonderful Shilo Subburbs.........lol
EVERY MAN THINKS MEANLY OF HIMSELF FOR NOT HAVING BEEN A SOLDIER!     Samuel Johnson 1709-1779

Offline 7 - 10 days

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 08:12:34 »
VP stands for "Victoria Patricia".

As for reaction I received about not being quite sure about the literal translation, I knew it was 1 of 2 things, and instead of looking like a knob and posting something I am unsure of I choose the easy answer and said I wasn't 100% sure.  I am not a regimental history buff by any stretch and have never cliamed to be  ;D

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 09:14:35 »
How do you know that you are posted to Edmonton? Do you still have to do basic Training? You might find yourself in the wonderful Shilo Subburbs.........lol
I'm not sure if you go to Edmonton or not that is just what I am thinking. If someone could clarify for me that would be fantastic :salute:
- Jul 2005

Offline 7 - 10 days

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 10:03:00 »
While in Battleschool or whatever they call it now, you'll find out for sure, eaxctly where u are going.  Either Edmonton or Shilo (if PPCLI).  As discussed above there is pro's and con's to each.  It will be what u make of it. 

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 10:30:21 »
I want to make it the funnest thing ever. What is Battle School like?
- Jul 2005

Offline 7 - 10 days

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 23:18:26 »
Well....5:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday to Friday. (For me 6 Years ago)  I think it's PT (Physical Training) 3 times per week.  This is where u learn the BASICS of being an infanteer.  You still have tons to learn when your done, your Battalion will take care of that.  Weapons, fieldcraft, unarmed combat, tactics etc..1 thing to remember, do not stand out.  Don't be "that guy".  If you are a born leader then naturally people will listen, if you are not and you try to be i.e. ALWAYS trying to take charge even though your right out-of-er then life will not be easy.  That's the kind of thing that will stay with you when u hit Battalion.  Don't stand out, be the grey man.  Do everything you are suppose to on time(if possibly) and correctly (good luck) without making a big show of it.  Don't always be the guy running at the front of the ranks wih the platoon commander, kissing *** and such.  BAD scoobies.  That will ALWAYS haunt you.  In the end its a good time, lots of "bonding" with beer and women on weekends.  Probobly fighting as well, everyone is "tough" in Battleschool, well until they run into a rigger in a bad mood that is.  Hence why you don't want to be the guys who wear their pt gear to the bar with there dog tags showing.  People are NOT impressed by that.  lol ok enough verbal crap thrown your way.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 18:32:30 »
Well....5:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday to Friday. (For me 6 Years ago)   I think it's PT (Physical Training) 3 times per week.   This is where u learn the BASICS of being an infanteer.   You still have tons to learn when your done, your Battalion will take care of that.   Weapons, fieldcraft, unarmed combat, tactics etc..1 thing to remember, do not stand out.   Don't be "that guy".   If you are a born leader then naturally people will listen, if you are not and you try to be i.e. ALWAYS trying to take charge even though your right out-of-er then life will not be easy.   That's the kind of thing that will stay with you when u hit Battalion.   Don't stand out, be the grey man.   Do everything you are suppose to on time(if possibly) and correctly (good luck) without making a big show of it.   Don't always be the guy running at the front of the ranks wih the platoon commander, kissing *** and such.   BAD scoobies.   That will ALWAYS haunt you.   In the end its a good time, lots of "bonding" with beer and women on weekends.   Probobly fighting as well, everyone is "tough" in Battleschool, well until they run into a rigger in a bad mood that is.   Hence why you don't want to be the guys who wear their pt gear to the bar with there dog tags showing.   People are NOT impressed by that.   lol ok enough verbal crap thrown your way.

Thanks 7 - 10 days that was really informative great advice :salute:
- Jul 2005

Offline Chimo

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2005, 23:48:49 »
Please check with the Recruiting Center Administration staff about paying for your move. My understanding is that you are not entitled to a move until you have reached career status. I may be wrong but would hate for you to find out the hard way. You should be receiving a briefing on all your entitlements, if your recruiter hasn't mentioned it ask he/her about it.

Good luck in your career. :salute:
All my heroes are soldiers...and all my soldiers are heroes.

Offline Otto Fest

• Rate Post
  • If you're warm & dry you're just cheating yourself
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005, 01:27:30 »
Holy for ****, would want to go thru the COComd or talk to the clk about this.... why bother.....
You can't be first, but you could be next.

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
  • Managing expectations is the key to success.
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 00:19:18 »
This seemed the best place for my question:

I'll be finished my degree in May and heading to Gagetown (from Montreal) for CAP and PhIII/IV (infantry). Since I'll be there for a year or more, I expect I'll be posted. If actually posted, am I correct in assuming that the CF will pay the packing/moving expenses (IE move me through a civi moving company)? I realise that a similar question was asked in this very thread, but the replies seemed to address a member moving to their first unit posting once trade qualified. I don't know if that makes a difference, but better safe than sorry.

Regarding storage, is there any kind of storage capacity on base for my effects? I don't have that much but it's enough that I'd require storage. If there's storage on base, is it free? If not, how much per month would it be? If there's no storage on base, does anyone know of a company out there that provides storage (preferably the cheapest, but beggars can't be choosers)?

Thanks.
Bureaucracy is hell.

Offline mover1

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 16:20:15 »
Whether the CF will pay for your move is really up to your career manager. I have seen pilots get posted for a year because of training and I have seen people procede to Borden for a year have theirs paid for. THe biggest factor would be if you have a family or not (don't take this as gospel ask your OR to be sure)
Once the funding comes through then you will be entitled to your move. If you have a bedroom full of stuff and mom and dad are keeping it for you, then yes we will have a moving company pick up your stuff and deliver it to shacks for you. 
If you have an appartment full of stuff or its in storage already we will make arrangements to have a civvi company pick it up for you. BUT and this is a big but....
BUt      if you are entiled to have your F&E (furniture and effects) stored at government cost (up to your career manager and it will say on your posting or course message) Then we will have a civvi company sent to your home have it packed and stored (for a limited amount of time ie after your course or until your posted to your permanent unit) at the moving company unitl you are able to receive it.
If you have it moved and are not entitled to having it stored by thec crown then you are able to make negotiations with the moving company themselves to have them store it in there locations. Other than that look in the yellow pages to find a storageplace for your goods.

The best place to start is your orderley room to tellyou exactlywhat your entitled to.

To dispell a few myths. Moving companies DO NOT rent your furniture out. We inspect their wharehouses every year. If a freind or a buddy has a freind of a freind who had this happen I would be the first one to call BS on the matter.

Have a happy move ;D

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
  • Managing expectations is the key to success.
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2006, 08:13:33 »
Ahhh, thanks alot for the clarification.
Bureaucracy is hell.