Author Topic: Celer et Audax  (Read 11043 times)

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
Celer et Audax
« on: March 13, 2005, 19:26:17 »
I honestly have no idea which section this belongs in...

I was simply hoping someone could tell me the proper pronunciation as I have very limited knowledge of Latin...

I've heard it pronounced several different ways, and sadly google came up with nothing helpful.
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: Celer et Audax
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 21:21:21 »
Bit of an explanation here: Look for the Green Jackets

http://www.military-quotes.com/mottos/UK.htm

It translates to "Swift and Bold". It is 180 degree turnabout of the unofficial motto of the RCD "Audax et Celer" translating to "Bold and Swift"
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 21:29:39 by recceguy »
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 21:34:30 »
I was actually aware of the translation, what I've never known is how its actually pronounced.

I've heard 'See-lair et aw-doo-wa' and also 'cee-lair eh oo-du-wa'

Reason Im asking is, Im having it tattooed on my forearms (Celer on the underside of my right forearm, Audax on my left) and when asked, would not only be able to translate it, but at least pronounce it properly.

The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 21:36:21 »
when people ask, just look at them condescendingly, snort in dusgust at their appalling ignorance, and walk away.
...time to cull the herd.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is thinking beach volleyball.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 21:43:26 »
..or get something you can pronounce...........
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 21:50:36 »
..or get something you can pronounce...........

I'm not getting it for the words, but the meaning of them. Pronunciation would be a bonus mind you...

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 22:03:05 »
A tatoo.  Cool.  Get one that comes off easily in forty years.  On the plus side, it will keep you out of some "retirement" "security" (winkwink) "jobs" in later life, when you want to go fishing with the grandkids, but the "firm" wants someone who won't stand out on a beach. 

Oh, you have tatoos?  Next!

Tom
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 22:31:30 »
A tattoo.  Cool.  Get one that comes off easily in forty years.  On the plus side, it will keep you out of some "retirement" "security" (winkwink) "jobs" in later life, when you want to go fishing with the grandkids, but the "firm" wants someone who won't stand out on a beach. 

Oh, you have tattoos?  Next!

Tom

Not really an issue for me, pronunciation is though. Anyone?

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 23:08:51 »
http://www.dl.ket.org/latin1/review/

Learn away lad,

Since you have got a life time to wear the tat, then you can take the time to learn it.

Dileas

tess

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 23:26:47 »
From what I can gather, seems I was petty much on the dot with how I was pronouncing it...

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 23:31:34 »
whew that was quick...

See not that hard with the internet eh?  Now imagine a first generation Italian kid, in a Highland regiment, trying to explain the kilt to his family, then going out and getting a tattoo of his cap badge with a Gaelic motto.

No internet in those days...so I made it up with a lot of practice and booze to help soften the tongue....

hehehehe

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 23:37:42 »
whew that was quick...

See not that hard with the internet eh?  Now imagine a first generation Italian kid, in a Highland regiment, trying to explain the kilt to his family, then going out and getting a tattoo of his cap badge with a Gaelic motto.

No internet in those days...so I made it up with a lot of practice and booze to help soften the tongue....

hehehehe

dileas

tess

;D ;D It was mostly a question of whether the 'r' was silent, and how 'au' was to be pronounced. My family is Scottish with a lot of Military roots, so I've got things easier than you.  ;D :o

Offline J. Gayson

• Rate Post
  • . . .
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 07:56:19 »
Just make sure you get that Tat with a better font than Farmboy did.  Its so hard to read his.   :warstory:

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 07:59:17 »
I wasn't going to post, but can't resist.......Are you not a little concerned that the women will find "Swift" a little bit of a shortcoming?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline thorbahn

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 10:27:36 »
If you want to pronounce it as latin would be traditionally pronounced, I would guess:

"Seller et odd-axe"

Basically as it's spelled.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 10:33:53 »
I would have though keller et odd-ax - 'et' as in 'met'   and 'odd' as in 'Audi' - or, in a non-classical pinch, cheller et odd-ax - cheller as in Cheddar
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 10:40:14 by Edward Campbell »
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 11:35:40 »
I wasn't going to post, but can't resist.......Are you not a little concerned that the women will find "Swift" a little bit of a shortcoming?

hahaha, hopefully the "bold" will make up for it.  ;)

Offline Rocky_Infanteer

• Rate Post
  • Infanteer
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 19:06:44 »
Celer et Audax is also the motto of the Regina Johns. Whose British affiliate is the Royal Green Jackets

Offline PTE Brooks

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 13:00:10 »
I honestly have no idea which section this belongs in...

I was simply hoping someone could tell me the proper pronunciation as I have very limited knowledge of Latin...

I've heard it pronounced several different ways, and sadly google came up with nothing helpful.
Ch-ell-r ett awe-ducks
UP THE JOHNS!

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 14:00:24 »
Twelve years later we finally have an answer! [:D
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 21:59:52 »
It's been a long, looooong time since I was a schoolboy and perhaps our knowledge of how Latin was spoken has improved, but I learned that it was pronounced something like "Keeler." I remember a bit of doggerel verse designed to keep us on track with the C words: "Cato, Plato Cicero (pronounced kick-ero), they all make me sickero."

But maybe the knowledge of the classics has advanced while I wasn't looking ~ and it's been way more than a half century since I gave even the tiniest if damns.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 22:31:25 »
Twelve years later we finally have an answer! [:D

I wonder if he actually went through with getting the tattoo, and if he still has it.
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!