Author Topic: The Poppy Selling Superthread- Merged  (Read 158734 times)

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Cabelas won't allow poppy sales
« Reply #525 on: November 12, 2015, 07:54:05 »
Some clever guy has started manufacturing pins (http://poppypins.com/) that look like the center of the RCL's poppy.  The idea is that it provides a means to both keep your poppy in place and not prick you every time you move your hand past it.  The Legion claims it "defaces" the poppy and should not be used.  I just ordered a bunch.

I now also have yet another reason not to join the Legion...

I think the last thing the legion wants is have a permanent poppy and they want people to make another donation if one loses it. Its become a money making racket for them when the original intent for selling poppies was to provide employment for disabled veterans. I heard of the legion going after people "infringing" on the copyright.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: The Poppy Selling Superthread- Merged
« Reply #526 on: November 12, 2015, 08:01:28 »
Apparently the legion claims all poppy like symbols even if its like the UK one....
It's interestingly phrased here:
.... the Canadian Trademark for the Poppy includes both the Legion’s Poppy logo, as well as the Poppy symbol, as it relates to Remembrance ....
I wonder if the British Legion would jump on the Canadian Legion "claiming" the two-petal version if it came to it?
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Sigs Pig

• Rate Post
  • Don't wake the bear...
« Reply #527 on: November 12, 2015, 12:01:50 »
From the Legion Poppy Manual

RIGHTS OUTSIDE CANADA
The rights obtained by registering the trademark in Canada
do not extend outside Canada.

ME
We work to eat to get the strength to work to eat to get the strength to work.
- John Dos Passos, 1896 - 1970

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
Re: Cabelas won't allow poppy sales
« Reply #528 on: November 12, 2015, 12:10:18 »
...I now also have yet another reason not to join the Legion...

or conversely another reason to join the legion and help change some of this rampant institutional stupidity.
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #529 on: November 12, 2015, 13:29:23 »
I wonder if the British Legion would jump on the Canadian Legion "claiming" the two-petal version if it came to it?

I don't know if the British Legion executive are as big "a-holes" as their Canadian counterparts but they do seem to have the same protection for their "brand" (that's the word they use on their website).

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-us/our-brand/
The Legion's 2-petal poppy is a registered trademark and should not be used without permission. Additionally, as the national custodian of Remembrance the Legion will take action against companies who are deemed to be infringing its trademark by commercially benefiting from this during the Remembrance period, or at any other time.

To prevent being in breach and to follow best practice as required by the Charity Commission, it is essential to enter into a commercial partnership agreement with the Legion to obtain a licence.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #530 on: November 12, 2015, 13:49:07 »
At the very least, the explanation given by the British Legion is more in line with intelligent application of the trademark they are granted:  "infringing its trademark by commercially benefiting from...".

In the "RCL Whither..." thread, someone posted about the Canadian Legion bitchin' and throwing its "trademark weight" at a poor bakery which, at specific request of one individual purchaser made for his/her own private purpose, baked a single cake in the shape of a remembrance day poppy. That is not "commercially benefiting from the use of the poppy. If that bakery, without anyone's specific request had baked half a dozen of them and put them on display for sale in the days leading to November 11, that would be different.

The analogy here is the same difference as someone going to a baker and ordering a Donald Duck cake for his kid's birthday instead of baking it himself, for which Disney would have no recourse, or the same bakery baking half a dozen Donald Duck cakes once a week for general display and sale, which would be infringement.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #531 on: October 22, 2016, 05:49:01 »
Sad this has to be considered, but these are the times we're in, I guess.
Every year, we hear of heartbreaking stories of thieves snatching donation bins meant for the Legion’s Poppy Campaign, but one Calgary businessman hopes his solution will make criminals pass on robbing veterans.

Dan Kroffat says that his redesigned poppy box can’t be stolen.

The bin itself is made of composite metal and is attached to the store’s counter with a wire.

He says his redesign should stop spontaneous thefts of poppy boxes that account for 75 percent of incidents.

Kroffat says the inspiration for the change came from the amount of thefts in the news last year.

"I saw in the newspaper, there was a story about these veterans, their money was stolen. I said, 'next to that is stealing money from children'. When you think of the money and the value this plays in sustaining their lives, add to that, this. The veterans, a large, large amount of veterans are living below the poverty line, a large number, hundreds are living on the streets. I got pissed off and said 'we need to fix this'."

He's has built 50 of the prototype boxes and plans to put them in place as a test in Cochrane businesses ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #532 on: October 22, 2016, 08:14:54 »
Great idea, but I wonder how many thefts happen in Cochran?

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #533 on: November 14, 2016, 12:28:48 »
Saw this in our local news,

Toronto man faces 19 charges in alleged poppy box thefts
http://www.680news.com/2016/11/14/toronto-man-faces-19-charges-alleged-poppy-box-thefts/

Comments: "A quick Google search shows this guy is an aggressive panhandler who was jailed for threating TTC employees. Also a poppy donation thief apparently. Back to jail… not the first time and not the last."

Same alleged perp?
https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/02/13/panhandler_jailed_for_threatening_to_kill_ttc_workers.html