Author Topic: Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]  (Read 317113 times)

Offline Boujie

• Rate Post
Re: Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2006, 23:47:25 »
I'm on my QL6 at CFSAL right now...

And eff as of Mon, alcohol is now allowed in T-139.

FYI. :D

Offline Diver Down

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2006, 10:27:50 »
The reasoning behind the no alcohol within the CFSATE barracks is because the are many people here that decide to act like children and are in turn treated that way.  Rightfully so I might add.

Alcohol and women may not be PERMITTED in the barracks, but you would never guess that by the amounts that are seen floating around on any given night or weekend.

We had vending machines at one point that were vandalized and POOF .. removed by the company.

"Children" decided to bash the machine one night and empty it out.

What has the military come to?      ::)
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other ******* die for his"

- Gen. George Patton

Offline Proud Forester

• Tenacious and Versitile
  • Rate Post
    • G&SF
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2006, 11:24:59 »
Hi all,
Sorry to cut in on your post but does anyone know what the accomodations are like for someone who is going to be living in single's quarters for 6 months?  I am not on trades training.  Entering as a Cpl and will be there for my 6month OJE.   I have been informed that I will have a single occupancy room and that I could bring a microwave/small fridge/tv/computer and such for my room. Is this true?  How large are these rooms?  Any help would be appreciated as I am due to arrive there the end of January once I finish my BMQ.
Thanks
P

You will probably be in Building T-138. Literaly the same building as the H-Club(JR's mess). Its pretty sweet only having to stumble like 400ft to get into my bed.

Accomodations are alot like a dorm room in university/college. There are Mods of 10 rooms each. So you will room with up to 9 other people, you share 3 bathrooms, and 3 showers. laundry room(washer and dryer for each mod) and a common room with a sink/bar fridge/microwave, and a TV with cable.

The rooms itself have a single bed(the new ones in the few MODs that have been renovated are pretty comfortable. A nightstand with an alarmclock, and a desk light. There is a desk, 2 closets(you should be able to fit everything you need into the both of them.

Microwave/fridge- The Base cheif sent out an email to all the unit cheifs saying that this building cant have cooking appliances in the rooms. I have been there two years with a fridge/microwave/convection oven/blender, I have never once had a problem with anything. Though if you burn the food in your room, you migth set off the fire alarm. Also remember there is both of these appliances in the common room, but the fridge is only a barfridge, so not alot of room in there.

Computer-Absolutley, Highspeed internet is available from rogers(not sure about DSL from Bell).

TV-If you want to get cable in your room, you can get any level of cable right up to full digital cable from rogers in your room. Also there is about 3 satelite dishes on the roof of the shacks, so I geuse some people have Expressview or whatever.

Send me a PM if you want any more info on it. I have been in singles quarters in Borden for 2 years and a month now.

Man, Diver Down, I have had some crazy parties in the shacks over there with some of the guys on the AVN course.

Offline ManWithThePlan

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2007, 13:23:48 »
Just looking for some clarification.

Currently on my LCIS QL3 course in Kingston.  I was told that I have to pay rations and quarters while I am on course.  The problem with that is that travel back to Ottawa every weekend so I only actually eat at the mess from Monday to Friday at most. I was wishing to go on pay as you go but was told as long as I am on course that was not an option. Is this correct?

Also, I am getting married on 23 Dec 07.  I was told that I am still going to have to pay R&Q and will not be entitled to separation pay after I get married because marital status changes do not affect anything if it occurs after your COS date.  My course runs from 15-Oct-07 to 19-Mar-08.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer. 

Thanks for any help
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 15:15:03 by ManWithThePlan »
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter, don't mind."

Offline Tarlouth

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2007, 14:02:25 »
Wow you are going on course and travelling backwards in time?
LOL (sorry, couldn't resist.. you put Oct 07 till Mar 07 as your dates.. instead of Mar 08)

anyway.. I am pretty sure you will be entitled to separation pay effective the date you are married (or common law). I would talk to the OR about this.. although, I know what a pain the *** the OR at CFSCE can be, and I know they treat students like second class citizens. (as you can tell, I spent some time at CFSCE).
I was in the same situation as you and received all the benefits as of my change of status date.
As for R&Q when you go home to Ottawa for the weekend.. That is a lost cause.. You are obligated to pay, even if you don't eat a meal at the mess. Look on the bright side, as least you live close enough to drive home for the weekends.. (PS, when you start to receive separation pay, they will deduct the weekends from your allowance if you go home to Ottawa.. you cant collect separation pay while your wife is sitting next to you ! )

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2007, 17:50:52 »
Wow you are going on course and travelling backwards in time?
LOL (sorry, couldn't resist.. you put Oct 07 till Mar 07 as your dates.. instead of Mar 08)

anyway.. I am pretty sure you will be entitled to separation pay effective the date you are married (or common law). I would talk to the OR about this.. although, I know what a pain the *** the OR at CFSCE can be, and I know they treat students like second class citizens. (as you can tell, I spent some time at CFSCE).
I was in the same situation as you and received all the benefits as of my change of status date.
As for R&Q when you go home to Ottawa for the weekend.. That is a lost cause.. You are obligated to pay, even if you don't eat a meal at the mess. Look on the bright side, as least you live close enough to drive home for the weekends.. (PS, when you start to receive separation pay, they will deduct the weekends from your allowance if you go home to Ottawa.. you cant collect separation pay while your wife is sitting next to you ! )

Not true anymore.  They remove 2 days of separation expense every month, no matter if you took days of leave.  So you can go a whole month on leave at home and still get the separation expense.

Are you TD, Attached Posted or Posted there?

Max

Offline ManWithThePlan

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2007, 09:37:31 »
I am currently posted to Kingston.  The separation expense isn't the big issue that I have. I could live without that. However the Rations are killing my pay.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter, don't mind."

Offline Tarlouth

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2007, 09:47:01 »
The only way you are going to get out of paying rations while on course in Kingston is to move out of the shacks.
I know of a few guys who got together on previous courses and went into a PMQ together.. Although, your course is not that long (POET and LCIS used to be almost 2 years) so, your chances of getting one could be pretty slim.

Cheers,

PS.. I know a bunch of your LCIS instructors.. I could put in a good word for you !! LOL >:D  (jokes)

Offline ManWithThePlan

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2007, 14:06:49 »
What about if I have my name on a lease with my Fiance in Ottawa.  Would that get me out of paying for quarters?

Offline Tarlouth

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2007, 15:05:35 »
Unless you plan to go home every night.

What I meant by moving out of the shacks, was getting a local place. They would never authorize you to drive back and forth from ottawa everyday for course.
But, if you are listed as married, and are collecting seperation expense, you will not have to pay for R and Q. The CF does not expect you to pay for two residences at the same time. However, you are POSTED to kingston, so you have to have a residence within the geographical region on Kingston.. which for you, is in the shacks.
If you status changes to married while you are on course there may be a large amout of paperwork to be done before you can collect seperation expense.. (and thus get free rations and quarters) but, in your case, it would be worth pursuing.

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2007, 16:02:03 »
Sheldon,

hope it works out for you. When are you and your Fiance heading home for the wedding?

I should be back in Ottawa on or about Dec 15th.

Say hey to N for me!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Simian Turner

is a humbled, curious veteran!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2007, 21:17:11 »
From left field:

If you put in a weekend leave pass with the Ration Strength Yes Box checked perhaps you could convince the RMS clerks not to charge you for weekend rations. ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 21:30:43 by Gunner98 »
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline Sparkplugs

• Rate Post
  • Herc Junkie.
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2007, 19:03:16 »
I'm here in Borden, also having to pay rations, when I only eat on average 20 meals a month here. 

People on my course did the getting married thing now, partially to see if they could get off paying R&Q...  they could not get separation pay, until they got their next posting.  And the only way you could get out of paying R&Q was to get a PMQ... here in Borden they won't even let you have an apartment, you still have to pay rations.  And the only way to get a Q is to get married or be common-law, or have a kid with you.  Us single people can't even get together to share a Q.  I'm told it's because Borden is crowded, so I don't know how that goes in Kingston, but look into getting a Q with your pals if you can.
pilot:  Number 3 engine missing.
tech: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

pilot: Aircraft handles funny.
tech: Aircraft told to straighten up, fly right and be serious

Offline Klc

• Seriously, guys... has anyone seen my bolt?
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • My recruiter promised me a jetpack.
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2007, 19:18:14 »
Word is (at least at 3 SQN) CFSCE - no living out on course for single members - makes it hard to give you inspections when your not there :P

Would be good to know if its possible, seeing as I'm back here for LCIS 3's in a month or so... But judging on the fun you guys down the hall have been getting with those inspections of yours, I can't see them letting me get out of that, lol.

Best of luck with getting your monies taken care of.
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
- Winston Churchill

Offline Bcause Isaidso

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2007, 20:46:45 »
 ;) sorry to hijack your thread but I have a simmilar  question

I am ex-mil..my spouse is attending poet sometime in the spring...basic starts around 17 Jan...we have a 10 mos old and are hoping to get a Q.
I had not thought this pos until cfrc mentioned it and now seeing it on this thread.
does anyone know the procedure and timeline?
we were going to rent an apt locally just so he can see the little fella, but if living out of shacks is auth that would be great.

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
  • NTLDR is missing, PRESS Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2008, 15:42:04 »
I couldn't find any thread in regards to this topic, so here is the situtation (as per leaflet handed out by F&Q, their link is down).

Effective 1 April 2008 there will be a Re-Linking of rations to quarters in the Edmonton Garrison. Members are to choose one of the following meal plans that best suits their requirements and lifestyle (see below). Those not wishing to "take advantage" of re-Linking will be eligible for PLD as they move out onto the economy.

Plan 1 - Meals provided 7 days per week

Plan 1A - Full rations ($425.25 per month, $15.19 per day)

Plan 1B - Full month 2 meals/day ($364.50 per month, $12.15 per day

Plan 2- Meals provided Mon - Fri

Plan 2A - Mon - Fri 3 meals/day($303.75 per month, $15.19 per day)

Plan 2B - Mon - Fri 2 meals/day ($$243.00 per month, $12.15 per day)
(Note: these prices do not include table serive at the Officer's Mess)

Plan 2B, likely the most popular allows members to eat 2 meals per day, Monday to Friday, and not be compelled to pay for meals on weekends when they are not in the area.

Any thoughts on this ? Has this happened before at other bases or are there other bases currently under this system?

DISCLAIMER: This post is not in itself a rant, therefore does not welcome rants or "this is bullshit" statements. If you have something to contribute, by all means.

Edit: Mods - if I'm in the wrong lane, feel free to relocate to the right forum
"One of the most feared expressions in modern times is 'The computer is down.'"
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2008, 16:04:14 »
It should be pay as you go system. Simple as that.

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
  • NTLDR is missing, PRESS Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2008, 16:19:45 »

That is one of 2 status quo options, Full or pay as you go. Some view this as an administrative way to start forcing members out of the shacks due to the limited facilities on base.
"One of the most feared expressions in modern times is 'The computer is down.'"
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2008, 17:12:03 »
That is one of 2 status quo options, Full or pay as you go. Some view this as an administrative way to start forcing members out of the shacks due to the limited facilities on base.

There shouldn't be forced rations on troops living in shacks. Paying for the rations too... wouldn't you think somehow rats would be free to the troops? The food has to be made anyways... if one soldier is eating or 3 thousands. I know hay boxes cost money, but should it come out of the mess budget? Not the course or the soldier him/herself? It seems more and more the CF is becoming more of a business than pawns to the federal government. It's all about cost captures.

Well I guess I can look at it in another view. As "if it works, it must be right" idea.
I guess if the rats were free, so should the housing/PMQ/shacks. At less the MIR isn't charging us... yet.
Now as a minor question to some: On ship, does the sailor pay for his 10 o'clock soup?

All I can really say as a sum up: An Army travels on its stomach. ~Napoleon Bonaparte

Edit for Spelling
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 17:15:49 by Sgt Schultz »

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2008, 17:16:31 »

That's not realistic......remember when you blew your paycheque payday weekend and scratched through the next 2 weeks.....it's no different nowadays for the guys/gals in the shacks....
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2008, 17:18:40 »
That's not realistic......remember when you blew your paycheque payday weekend and scratched through the next 2 weeks.....it's no different nowadays for the guys/gals in the shacks....

What it should be... is a card you swipe with each time you go in. And at the end of the month, however many times you went during meals hours you are charge that amount.

The meal card at full charge is a non practical idea. (I understand where Edmonton is coming up with their idea.)

What if the member deploys out to sea or in the field? What if they are gone in a emergency? I'm sure there is no one at the counter after hours to freeze your card.

Edit to add the last bit.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 17:22:24 by Sgt Schultz »

aesop081

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2008, 17:24:04 »

Now as a minor question to some: On ship, does the sailor pay for his 10 o'clock soup?

No. And a soldier doesnt pay for his IMPs in the field either.

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2008, 17:27:59 »
What it should be... is a card you swipe with each time you go in. And at the end of the month, however many times you went during meals hours you are charge that amount.

That's a more realistic idea, plus it tracks their loads for future buying/preparing...
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2008, 17:28:42 »
Perhaps part of the problem is an inconsistent expectation that rations will be available to all who wish to "pay as you go".  If there are (pulling numbers out of thin air here) 3000 soldiers on a base and 1000 pay for rations off their pay and 2000 expect to be able to go to the kitchen whenever they want and pay as they go, then how many meals does the kitchen prepare?

If the kitchen underestimates and those who paid up front are the ones without satisfactory service or the food choices or amounts they expect for the money they already agreed to pay, whose fault is that?

If the kitchen then overestimates and a lot of food it discarded, who pays for that, and whose fault is it?

Should the chain of command be required to inform the kitchen a week ahead when their troops might be in camp, or not, so that the KO can make realistic estimates of meal requirements?

Flexibility has its common sense limits too.

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2008, 17:31:09 »
No. And a soldier doesnt pay for his IMPs in the field either.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was more referring to being "The CF cook serving warm food on a plate service." Not field rats, if you misunderstood me. IMP's and soup are totally different topic in my view.

Then brings in another question, the cooks, should they have to pay also? Even if they cook all day?

Food for thought...

Hehehe... I made a funny.  ;D