Poll

Remembrance Day should be a National Holiday?

Yes
69 (62.7%)
No
35 (31.8%)
Undecided
3 (2.7%)
Don't care
3 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: Remembrance Day: National holiday?/"Veterans' Day"? (merged)  (Read 86232 times)

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
Re: Remembrance Day Petition Gaining Momentum
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 10:27:20 »
Thanks for bringing this up. Signed.

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 14:25:44 »
Sadly, you're probably right.  Not to take anything away from the significance of that event, but I don't believe it had anything near the same level of impact to our country as a whole.  Remembering a specific event such as the murders at L'Ecole Polytechnic, while noble and very much necessary, is one thing.  Paying tribute to the thousands of people that built our nation's international reputation, and provided us with the freedoms and privileges we now enjoy (and often abuse) to me is on a totally different plateau, and should be recognized as such.

Edit:  Typo(s)

The death of 10 people is a tragedy, the death of a few thousand is a statistic.... paraphrasing someone, badly,  I'm sure.
Signed it 5 days ago.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline sm0ke

• Rate Post
  • Civ IT Geek
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 14:29:00 »
...Stalin I think  :)

Offline Log Offr

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 16:45:24 »
I actually don't think it should be a holiday.  Currently, downtown cores shut down for the parades on 11 November, and in many (most?) schools and offices, a moment of silence is observed at 1100hours. At the very least, this causes young students to recognize that "something" happened on 11 November that is meaningful, and they will remember the solemnity of the moment of silence.

If 11 November becomes a national holiday, all that will end.  The children will be out playing at 1100hrs, and of course won't be bothered to pause and take note of what happened, so in one generation, we will have lost the habit of pausing at 11/11/11.  No one will be at work to peer out their windows at the veterans parade around the cenotaph in their city, or to actually leave their offices to attend the parade, as many do now.  No, 11 November will simply become another long weekend - another chance to have a BBQ or to maybe close the cottage or watch a football game.  The impact will be lost - most Canadians will simply take a day off work and not be bothered to remember or acknowledge why they get to go hunting on a Tuesday, or go shopping in the States for a long weekend in November.  The only people who will put any effort into the day, are us, of course.  But by providing people the opportunity to pause during their schoolday or workday to reflect on the occasion, we keep the memories alive.

Offline ArmyVern

in Ottawa.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 17:52:47 »
I actually don't think it should be a holiday.  Currently, downtown cores shut down for the parades on 11 November, and in many (most?) schools and offices, a moment of silence is observed at 1100hours. At the very least, this causes young students to recognize that "something" happened on 11 November that is meaningful, and they will remember the solemnity of the moment of silence.

If 11 November becomes a national holiday, all that will end.  The children will be out playing at 1100hrs, and of course won't be bothered to pause and take note of what happened, so in one generation, we will have lost the habit of pausing at 11/11/11.  No one will be at work to peer out their windows at the veterans parade around the cenotaph in their city, or to actually leave their offices to attend the parade, as many do now.  No, 11 November will simply become another long weekend - another chance to have a BBQ or to maybe close the cottage or watch a football game.  The impact will be lost - most Canadians will simply take a day off work and not be bothered to remember or acknowledge why they get to go hunting on a Tuesday, or go shopping in the States for a long weekend in November.  The only people who will put any effort into the day, are us, of course.  But by providing people the opportunity to pause during their schoolday or workday to reflect on the occasion, we keep the memories alive.

I've got to disagree with your doomsday predictions for this. I live in a province where the 11th is recognized as a holiday...and let me assure you that a heck of a lot of those kids...and their parents can be found at the Cenotaph on November 11th.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Mr.Newf

• King of the Granite Planet
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 18:01:04 »
It should be a national holiday, and that's that. (my personal opinion)
I am the one and only

Offline condor888000

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 18:06:07 »
Signed. Number 298. Its getting there. 
This is what it would have looked like had the plane crashed into a school for bunnies.

Offline military granny

it\'s May 12 and it\'s snowing what the ?

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 18:26:09 »
Signed  # 297 and sent on to everyone I know
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally
worn out, shouting..Holy crap!! What a Ride!!"

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 18:53:48 »
So it's cool for the death of 12 (wasn't it?) women to have that much more importance (ALL Canadian flags at half-mast, etc) than the death of tens of thousands of soldiers/sailors/airmen, because there's a chance people won't pause at exactly 1111, and will instead spend the day hearing about our soldiers/sailors/airmen through said football games and whatnot? Wow, you really got a weird conception of rememberance, don't you? I'd much rather have people spend the day watching football and having little vignettes on TV about past wars and ads and having the announcers thank our troops, than have everyone stop for a minute and then go on business as usual.

I say, if events like Polytechnique are going to have such importance for the government, 9/11 should be a holiday as well, and Rememberance Day should have it's own long weekend. (Or a few days if it falls in the middle of the week)
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is back. Still says fitness, not drugs.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 19:30:27 »
I'm torn on this just because of my past experiences.
My Father was the 'head mop' at a local high school and being a proud WW2 veteran he would give the Remembrance Day speech in the gymnasium packed with over 1000 kids whom he always held spellbound. I never had the chance to hear his speeches[ already in] but the reason I know how much effect his words had on them is the fact that many times I have run into people whom were those very students and that's one of the things that sticks out in their minds when my Father comes up in conversation.

Just think of all those kids every year sleeping in and playing video games instead of hearing how it was 'over there'.

P.S.......One of my prized possesions is a ratty folded-up copy of one of those speeches.

IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
    • The Home of the Salt, Lilly, Winstall (Wincentaylo) & Blouin Family Tree Website
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2006, 19:57:49 »
The children will be out playing at 1100hrs, and of course won't be bothered to pause and take note of what happened, so in one generation, we will have lost the habit of pausing at 11/11/11.

God forbid we put the responsibility of teaching children a bit of history on the parents.

My personal Nov 11th tradition?  Parade of course, maybe have a few drinks at the legion.  Then go home, get something nice and warm to drink ('cause I'm usually still frozen from the parade) and watch "Bridge Over the River Kwai" or some other movie of that ilk.  It may be "The Great Escape" this year.

I also concur that it should be a holiday.  Although we may all gripe about NS being slightly backwards (see the forum on Sunday shopping) they certainly got that one right.  The father of my brother-in-law was a bombardier (of Tirpitz fame a-la Damnbusters) and every year he brings his boys to the cemetery and tells them about their grandfather.  They go home and he pulls out the log books, photos, etc and just talk about what it was all about, and how things are similar and different today.
Don't piss me off.  I have two older brothers, work with a bunch of men, and I can kick their asses!
BOOT TO THE HEAD!

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 20:46:20 »
I know this is slightly off topic...However... I personaly believe that schools especially High Schools should rewrite their cirriculum so that it includes more Canadian Military History. This should include things like the The Boer War, WWI, WWII, Korean War, Iraq 1, all the peacekeeping missions and Afghanistan. It should properly explain the history and the importance of how every event has shaped our country.

I dont know...maybe have a dedicated military professor rotate around in a district? Preferably a veteran? Just a thought...

BTW: I signed. It's there.
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline Signalman150

• "All this, and pay too, boys!"
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 13:59:03 »
I think it should be a holiday as well.  I've worked in the private sector for over twenty years, and have often had to deal with firms that don't give Remembrance day off.

the first time it happened was in Yellowknife.  A memo was circulated in the office reminding all employees that Nov 11 was a regular work day.  I took the memo, scrawled "Lest We Forget" on it with a hi-liter, and posted it beside my desk.  Got a few raised eyebrows, but the boss didn't bite.  I snuck out that morning to attend the service. When I moved back south and rejoined the PRes, I took a day of annual vacation to parade.

These days I just mention to the boss that I'll be gone a couple of hours, and she's okay with it. The only down side is that I don't get an opportunity to partake of post-service festivities, since I head back to work right after the ceremony. I would prefer having some time to socialize, and spend time with the vets.

Remembrance Day was a school holiday in BC back when I was in the cadets, but we always had an assembly in the gym the day before.  I would expect--if it became a national holiday--the same thing would happen again. So, even if they stay home on Nov 11 (playing their video games), they will still likely be exposed to a school organized service.

And yes, I've signed.
Morality is our agreement with ourselves to abide by our own rules

Offline Cdn Blackshirt

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 15:01:39 »
I think I was #283 the other day....

Matthew.    :salute:
IMPORTANT - 'Blackshirt' is a reference to Nebraska Cornhuskers Football and not naziism.   National Champions '70, '71, '94, '95 and '97.    Go Huskers!!!!

Offline career_radio-checker

• Hello everyone, my name is CRC and I am an army.ca - aholic.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 15:49:14 »

I have to agree with QM. In the US, words of "Memorial long weekend" and "Memorial Day Sale" have already polluted the real meaning of rememberance. Two minutes at the cenotaph, I think, would be more appropriate and sincere than a whole day off. It reminds me of the Biblical tale of the little homeless girl who put her only two penies into the donation basket and the rich man, who followed, put in a whole sack of cash. God teaches that he prefered the little girl's donation because it was all she had and she was sincere about it while the man just made his donation for posterity.  The moral of the story is that sometimes two heart-felt penies is worth more than a bundle of indiscriminate cash.
Still confused? (So am I. I can't understand my thoughts sometimes)
Here. Watch this "Pittance of time." Terry  Kelly says it better than me. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvhN5uth8_g
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 23:06:20 by career_radio-checker »
How could anyone not fall in love with Canada's baby seals?... They make really good gloves.

Offline the 48th regulator

When you smoke the herb, it reveals you.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2006, 16:25:37 »
I have to agree with QM. In the US, words of "Memorial long weekend" and "Memorial Day Sale" have already polluted the real meaning of rememberance. Two minutes at the cenotaph, I think, would be more appropriate and sincere than a whole day off. It reminds me of the Biblical tale of the little homeless girl who put her only two penies into the donation basket and the rich man, who followed, put in a whole sack of cash. God teaches that he prefered the little girl's donation because it was all she had and she was sincere about it while the man just made his donation for posterity.  The moral of the story is that sometimes two heart-felt penies is worth more than a bundle of indiscriminate cash.
Still confused? (So am I. I can't understand my thoughts sometimes)
Here. Watch this "Pittance of time." Terry  Kelly says it better than me.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvhN5uth8_g

I Disagree with with both yourself and QM, and I have gone to explaining this to great lengths in my Challenge;

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,42677.0.html

dileas

tess

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline rifleman

• Son of Martha
  • Rate Post
  • No White Belts - No Pipeclay!
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2006, 16:39:29 »
No need for another day off. Keep the tykes in school and make them learn about the sacrifices, have them meet vets. When they get older, they won't question the need for remembrance on Nov.11.  Hold services in the mall at 11 a.m. where the people are. At most I'd have a law like election day, all employees are entitled to time off to attend a service.

Offline alfie

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2006, 16:45:25 »
No way, and let all the gov't and peace nut types and other @#!% get a day off to go shopping. I enjoyed telling my boss I am taking a single vacation day, at first they asked why especially during the week. Once I showed up with my medals on the way to the ceremony they stopped asking. Besides when do you recall getting the day off in the army sure the mess opened after but if you had duty no day off for you soldier.

Offline GUNS

ARMY.CA coin is back at FMG.

• Rate Post
  • Are the spades dug-in?
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 19:06:52 »
Remembrancee Day as a national holiday - I don't think so.

There are far to few people in Canada who actually care about Nov. 11, why should we reward those who don't give Nov. 11 a second thought a paid holiday.

I agree with someone who said that Canada's military history is barely mentioned in schools, more effort should be done in that area.

Leave Remembrance Day for those who will do it justice, my first Nov.11 in uniform was 1964(cadets) and my respect and gratitude for those that made the supreme sacrificee has not diminished.

Soldiers have always looked after their own, lets keep it that way.

When I do right, no one remembers.
When I do wrong, no one forgets.

Offline Shec

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 19:32:42 »
I'd compromise with settling for a morning  of statutory commemoration, ( I hate to apply the word "holiday" to this solemn occasion).  No business whatsoever before 1 p.m. with a complete shut-down of all but the most essential public safety services from 10:45 until 11:45.    But then again I will never be supreme ruler with the power to decree this. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 19:38:27 by Shec »
From the cold water of Fish Creek, into the sunken road at Rumilly, onto the beach at Normandy, and across the wastes of the Sinai desert, the silver gate has gone and is still ready to serve.

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2006, 20:52:41 »

Hummm, in Saskatchewan even when I was a kid, 11 Nov was a stat holiday, and any ceremonies, say at school were the day before. I remember them well, from elementry to high school. Even in the UK the 11 Nov service is on Remberance Sunday, the Sunday closest to 11 Nov.

In my Militia days, I can remember that old Armouries, on Elphinstone Street packed as hell every 11 Nov. Vets, cadets, locals of all ages, and all the Militia Units, Legion band,etc. A good turnout.

So, I disagree with you about people loosing sight of the meaning of Remerance Day if it becomes a recognised national day off. I had always thought it was anyways. I guess that some provinces don't recognise it.

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline Black Watch

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2006, 21:59:21 »
So it's cool for the death of 12 (wasn't it?) 
Actually, nine women were shot. Still, it almost makes me cry to see a bunch of separatists (I live in Québec) to yell at soldiers and veterans because they fought for Canada
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 00:44:15 by Black Watch »

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2006, 22:12:55 »

+1. 
   I agree.  Look at the Memorial Day in states, they shop!  My children know about Remembrance Day because there (was) is usually a ceremony in thier schools. When we were in Moncton, the school asked the base to have some members to come and line the walls during the Legion Ceremony in the gym,as a show for the youth. 
   When I was involved in Scouting, I brought the young Beavers to the Legion so they could see a Ceremony.  To them it was "old people who fought and died in a war years ago".  But it was "something.  I think it is very important for our youth to know why we do this every year as the "they who grow old" ranks are getting thinner every year.
 :salute:

Offline youravatar

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2006, 22:31:54 »
Signed.

Offline the 48th regulator

When you smoke the herb, it reveals you.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2006, 02:03:55 »
+1. 
   I agree.  Look at the Memorial Day in states, they shop!  My children know about Remembrance Day because there (was) is usually a ceremony in their schools. When we were in Moncton, the school asked the base to have some members to come and line the walls during the Legion Ceremony in the gym,as a show for the youth. 
   When I was involved in Scouting, I brought the young Beavers to the Legion so they could see a Ceremony.  To them it was "old people who fought and died in a war years ago".  But it was "something.  I think it is very important for our youth to know why we do this every year as the "they who grow old" ranks are getting thinner every year.

You are losing me here.

+1.     I agree.

That it should not be a holiday.

Look at the Memorial Day in states, they shop!

Really?  They do.  However, the whole nation, 300 Million understand what memorial day stands for, do you reckon all 30 million of our people do?

My children know about Remembrance Day because there (was) is usually a ceremony in their schools. When we were in Moncton, the school asked the base to have some members to come and line the walls during the Legion Ceremony in the gym,as a show for the youth. 

Fair enough,  tell me what they think of remembrance day when they leave school.  I was part of the generation when November 11th was stricken from Ontario as a public Holiday, I saw the crowds dwindle at the parades, only ones at most of them were family members, and people out walking their dogs, that passed by the ceremony.

Good on you.  Now strip the local populace of all liberties of "relaxing" such as shopping.  And remove all programming, except those dedicated to our Soldiers, Past, present and future.  Fallen and repatriated.  Leave them no avenue to take the day leisurely, short of staying in their homes with curtains drawn, and rose coloured glasses on, and cumbaya playing on the old 8 track.

Give people the understanding that the Nation Remembers.  Let them understand that for one day, just one day, the Country will "MAKE" people understand the sacrifice.

We are more concerned with the date we hand in our taxes, with adds on every media source telling us to file, however we do not enforce the understanding of the Sacrifice that our fellow Canadians make.

You may have taken the time to remind your children, and yourself what that sacrifice is, but it is high time we as a nation remind EVERYONE.

We have misinterpreted what the word Holiday means.  We take it as a day to lounge, however is means Holy Day, a sacred day.  Therefore we must all understand that this is a Sacred day, dedicated to all Warriors.

dileas

tess

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 02:15:17 by the 48th regulator »
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.