Author Topic: 'It's time to consolidate NDHQ' & 'DND to take-over Nortel Campus' (Merged threads)  (Read 155049 times)

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: It's time to co-locate and shink NDHQ!
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2008, 17:59:26 »
Hey may not answer since that post is 2004 and he is a "Guest"
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: MND told to cut top heavy ND HQ
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 18:00:23 »
I find it amusing that a lot of these opinions come from civvies, ppl in the recruiting process, or ppl who have never served here at NDHQ. 

- Kind of like all of the other threads on this site.  We all often discuss places we have never been and things we have never done.  Ahhhh.....  the glory of the Internet.talk abou
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2008, 18:01:14 »
Hey may not answer since that post is 2004 and he is a "Guest"

- Then how did my post from yesterday.... is this a merged thread?????!!!???
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline N. McKay

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2008, 15:50:25 »
That is too bad, because there is a lot to be gained from putting it all under one roof.  At the very least, the Army could look to ensure those scattered elements of the Land Staff get brought into the national capitol region:

So, to sum up what has happened over the last 40 years: in trying to create a more efficient organization in which everyone is under the same roof and you don't have to walk the length of a city block to get anything done, we have instead created one that is too big to fit under any existing roof and is now at least as dispersed as the original three Service headquarters were.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2008, 15:57:29 »
So, to sum up what has happened over the last 40 years: in trying to create a more efficient organization in which everyone is under the same roof and you don't have to walk the length of a city block to get anything done, we have instead created one that is too big to fit under any existing roof and is now at least as dispersed as the original three Service headquarters were.

Much more dispersed. Until circa 1970 the three service HQs were clustered together in downtown Ottawa - with a few offices in other, nearby buildings. Now part of NDHQ is in the Pearkes Building (two 17+ story towers by the Rideau Canal) but much (most?) of it is scattered all over two cities: Ottawa and Gatineau.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2008, 18:13:18 »
- Well, dispersion IS crucial to survival on a nuclear battlefield.

8)

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2008, 18:17:55 »
- Well, dispersion IS crucial to survival on a nuclear battlefield.

8)

Only if you ARE NOT down wind and down river from a strategic targeted Nuclear facility outside a Military Reservation.... >:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline 54/102 CEF

• Rate Post
    • 54th Cdn Inf Bn CEF 1915-1919
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2008, 20:56:17 »

Not really - There`s the big building you see on TV then several other Complementary Bldgs around the City. Plus its as connected as any corporate HQ - but there are little power centres all over the place.

Get this - Minister approves a project - then it continues to circulate for signature - then it gets re-approved and verified at the Treasury Board. Sounds like big time duplication higher than DND to me.

Projects are supposed to start and stop in 28 months vs 108 months over ER Campbell's time. But obviously some will take longer and some shorter. If its a COTS project - Commercial Off the Shelf - it may look quicker but is it really?

So if the government could push the approval of certain levels of projects lower down - to say the Dept rather than the Dept plus Treasury Board - that could speed things up and make a spread out HQ greater than a pasture for some and a heart attack in the making for others.

Just my 2 cents as I ride the Shuttle to Point B from Point A. :)

You can visit me when I retire to the Island of Sayonara - but if the tide goes out - you go too - OK?

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2008, 00:46:44 »
Minor query, not a hijack:

Okay, Im confused - how did that 4 year gap get spanned?  Was this split from something else?

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is back. Still says fitness, not drugs.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2008, 07:57:00 »
We like to keep things info-friendly, so it was merged from another topic that swerved away from its original topic.

We're not just a bunch of pretty faces, ya know.......  :-*
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Big-Honkin' New DND Building Coming?
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2009, 11:36:42 »
First item here, shared in a new thread for those wanting to discuss it....
.... Through the RFQ process, DCC intends to qualify potential development teams with the interest, capability and capacity to design, build, finance and maintain (DBFM) a new DEFENCE Department office and special purpose facility to be constructed in the greater Ottawa area utilizing a Public-Private-Partnership (P3) approach.  The facility will be located on a site owned by the Government of Canada. This upcoming opportunity will be of interest to developers with the capacity, either directly or through a consortium, for the design, construction, financing and management of a facility comprising a total of 72,000 rentable square metres of office, support and special purpose space, together with associated site development and infrastructure requirements ....
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Big-Honkin' New DND Building Coming?
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2009, 12:07:18 »
Another one with the same square footage as Pearkes.  Interesting.

Offline mellian

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2009, 12:39:23 »
They are going to move DND office? But really enjoyed seeing the current one across from Rideau Mall, seeing all the CF folks on taking OC transpo to places...oh and the past protest marches on MacKenzie bridge. :(

:p

Online Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2009, 12:47:45 »
It wouldn't be replacing NDHQ (Pearkes).  The new one would be supplementing (and consolidating - one can dream, right?) the umpteen buildings that DND occupies in the NCR.

Offline gcclarke

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2009, 12:48:54 »
They are going to move DND office? But really enjoyed seeing the current one across from Rideau Mall, seeing all the CF folks on taking OC transpo to places...oh and the past protest marches on MacKenzie bridge. :(

:p

The Department of National Defence occupies, in whole or in part, over 40 buildings within the national capital region. While it is possible that this new building could be intended as a replacement for the current occupants of 101 Colonel By Drive, I highly doubt it. More likely it would be used to consolidate personnel currently scattered throughout the region. And of course, for additional capacity, which is frankly desperately needed.

I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing 101 Col. By Drive emptying out anytime soon.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
- Calvin Coolidge

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2009, 13:15:36 »
They are going to move DND office?
As stated, a consolidation of other workplaces seems more likely.  I’ve heard rumour of a Louis St. Laurent 2 in order to bring the Hotel de Ville crowd back to co-locate with DLR & DGLEPM, but the suggested plot of land wouldn’t fit what is described on the MERX.  In any case, consider the amount of floor space that DND already manages for NDHQ:

101 Col By74,660 m2
Louis St. Laurent 40,092 m2
Constitution22,625 m2
Startop20,769 m2
400 Cumberland15,523 m2
285 Coventry10,374 m2
4210 Labelle8,697 m2

… and that is just a selection of the buildings that DND manages.  There is another much longer list of PWGSC managed facilities that devote a significant amount of floor space to NDHQ

However, if we are going to make the investment in a new major construction, I would think we’d get the best value from one single massive building to consolidate the workspaces of all the others.  Sure, there would be a large capital cost at the front end, but I wonder what we could save down the road with:
  • simpler facilities management requirements (smaller staff because they only worry about one place)
  • no more contracted DND shuttle services
  • no more paying for taxis or parking for business related visits between buildings
  • no more lost productivity hours as pers travel between buildings (I wonder if anyone has ever determined the number of PYs lost annually to time spent waiting for or traveling on NDHQ shuttles)
  • Increased productivity from interacting staffs that would be regularly able to directly interact

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2009, 14:13:12 »
There would still be a need for a limited shuttle service between the new building  (for now, let's call it MILNET Tower), 101 Col By, the relocated HCC and Clothing Stores.

DND would also no longer have to pay multiple gym memberships at almost every YMCA in town for those folks who's building is neither close to or has PT facilities. 
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline COBRA-6

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2009, 14:49:30 »
We should have bought the JDS campus when we had the chance... maybe the Nortel campus near Connaught will become available in the future...
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2009, 14:50:50 »
There would still be a need for a limited shuttle service between the new building  (for now, let's call it MILNET Tower), 101 Col By, the relocated HCC and Clothing Stores.
Not in my world  :P  There currently is not shuttle to the HCC, so that would not have to change.  Clothing Stores would move from HPB to the consolidated NDHQ super building, and so would the occupants of 101.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2009, 14:51:46 »
My nderstanding from press reports is that this will be a secure facility for the secret squirrels of CSE.  However, whether other DND offices will be consolidated into their old stomping grounds remains to be seen.

Remember, though, that like most departments in the NCR, DND is expected to have about a 75-25 split between Ottawa and Hull Gatineau; efficiency will never happen for that reason alone.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2009, 14:55:43 »
Don't forget that the former NDMC is rumoured to come down in 2013.  They may be looking at amalgamating people who are in offices in a dozen (or more) buildings all into one. 

40 buildings in the NCR?  I think there's more than that.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Simian Turner

is a humbled, curious veteran!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2009, 15:59:57 »
NDMC was "condemned" in 1999, so 2013 is the new date?
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Online PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2009, 16:03:44 »
NDMC was "condemned" in 1999, so 2013 is the new date?

Well, CF H Svcs C (O) is just moving out now (I moved today  ;D).  I mean, they have to have somewhere to put everyone before they can actually tear it down, no?
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2009, 12:54:24 »
Remember, though, that like most departments in the NCR, DND is expected to have about a 75-25 split between Ottawa and Hull Gatineau; efficiency will never happen for that reason alone.
Then, lets throw the .COMs into Gatineau (since they want to be seperate anyway) and leave QETE in the NPB (since it is more of a unit than part of the HQ).  Everything else could move into the new consolidated NDHQ (which would have enough floor space for the .COMs to eventually move in).

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2009, 17:26:48 »
Then, lets throw the .COMs into Gatineau

I'd rather throw them into the Rideau river.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html