Author Topic: Security Check/Level Superthread [MERGED]  (Read 522848 times)

Offline Gumby

• Rate Post
Re: Security Check/Level Superthread [MERGED]
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2003, 14:15:00 »
what about things like vagrancy and drinking in public?  theft?  i know a guy who broke into a car a few years ago, he got alternate measures or something, but he is afraid to apply.  I told him to just come with me and talk to the recruiter but he doesnt want them to hear about it untill he sees what kind of effect it will have on him.
Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim

bradley

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2004, 10:12:00 »
As of now I am a landed immigrant with permanent resident‘s status. I have been here two years and in a year I will apply for my citizenship. After speaking to many recruitment officers, I have heard different opinions as far as a how long one must have spent in the country to join the forces.

-What I want to find out is some opinions on whether I will be able to make it in as a Citizen living here for 3 years or whether I would have to wait longer.

-My grandfather was born a Canadian Citizen, would this help me at all if I had a problem with time or security?

-I was born in Rep. of South Africa and would like to know if this could be a country of security concern.

I would be really thankful for any help anyone can provide.

dalredane

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2004, 01:28:00 »
my ex g/f was from South Africa and she only lived here for 3 years and she joined.  Reserves mind you.

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2004, 22:30:00 »
kinda odd that more than 1 person at CFRC has told you diferent things. I think it depends on the person, and from what dalredane said..SA isnt a country of security concern.

I dont think Reserves and Regular forces recruitment standards would be different..
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline portcullisguy

• Rate Post
  • Border Services Officer
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2004, 09:59:00 »
Shortbus, no offence bud, but how would you know if RSA was a country of security concern or not?

RSA went through a lengthy period where they were barred from the Commonwealth due to humanitarian concerns (Apartheid).  After political changes, they have undergone major internal changes and the country‘s urban centres are some of the most violent in the industrialized world.

And while the RSA may not be a hotbed of international terrorism, for security clearances a lot depends on the availability and accessibility of criminal and intelligence information and how much of that information canbe shared with our own authorities.

Some countries do not share information, and for that reason security checks will take much longer, or cannot be completed at all.
portcullisguy

non dormiverit gladius meus - dileas gu brath

48 Highrs

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2004, 20:46:00 »
Originally posted by Sh0rtbUs:
[qb]  from what dalredane said..SA isnt a country of security concern.
[/qb]
I never gave facts and claimed that they were true or not...I simply relayed what dalredane said. I dont see what it was that i said that was wrong..
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

bradley

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2004, 20:47:00 »
Well, its not so much the apartheid thing, it is more to do with whats been going on since 911 that seems to be a concern. But if its more of an issue of sharing information it shouldn‘t be too much of a problem as there is enough of an infrastructure to do this, if anything it‘ll just take a bit of time.

Thanks for the comments; if anyone has any more opinions I'll appreciate them.

Ender57

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2004, 01:21:00 »
Is it normal for the background check to be done first if CFRC knows about a criminal record?

If so how long will it take to get back? I‘m asking because CFRC decided to my background check before anything else and it has been out for nearly 2 months now and I am just wondering what is happening with it.

Offline yot

• Rate Post
  • Born to HELP
    • Exuberant
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2004, 01:46:00 »
agree, for myself, I passed all tests on Jan 2004, and I called them, they just sended my secrity check papers to ON. And they said it may take around 6 mon to 18 mon for that part. However, I know that some of my friends just took around 3 weeks. But keep phoning them to find out what is ur status.
- Nameless

Offline Greywolf

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2004, 01:55:00 »
It can take a while for the check to be done if you got a criminal record.  I‘ve heard even for some people who don‘t have a record, it still takes months.
Antes la muerte que la deshonra

Offline GrahamD

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2004, 11:55:00 »
Actually, they send your finger prints to CSIS.

They are then sent a hard copy of your criminal record and depending on the seriousness of your offence they will either accept a verbal explaination, or put you through a process to determine wether or not to grant you Enhanced Reliability Status.

Receiving your finger prints can take from a relatively short time, to a really long time depending. I was informed by the Captain reviewing my file that he could expediate the process "if he so choose to do so". In the end he did, but I had a weapons restriction still in effect at the time, and my file was closed because you need to be 6 months free of ANY obligation to the judicial system.

Anyway, back to the present, I have been through the process to determine my Enhanced Reliability Status, and I can tell you that if they find your criminal record to be sufficiently serious, they will make you go through the process too.

You will be asked to retrive a number of documents including: All legal documentation in regards to your conviction, letters from your parole/probation officer/s, letter from your cousellors detailing nature of treatment your progress etc., additional letters of reference from your previous employers over the last 5 years, and a letter from you detailing every nuance of the incident in question, why you did what you did, and what you learned from it.
They then convene a board to either grant you "ERS" or deny it to you.  At this stage your file will be scrutinised by a senior officer, in my case a Lieutenant-Colonel.
They will of course verify everything you submit, and what they are trying to determine is if you have sufficiently proved yourself to be trustworthy in the context of National Security and Defense.
Honesty is not the best policy, it is the only policy, get caught omiting anything here and you‘re done for good.

To answer the question "Is it normal for the background check to be done first if CFRC knows about a criminal record?"

Yes it is normal, because if your Enhanced Reliability Status is in question it is a total waste of time and effort to allow you to proceed with your application until you have been granted this status.
It doesn‘t really matter what stage of your application you are on, if they discover a criminal record, everything will cease until this issue is cleared up.
Example, you are schedualed for a PT/Medical test 2 weeks away, but they discover the criminal record and decide to give you questionable status, they will almost certainly cancel those appointments, until a decision is reached.

In my case it took me twelve weeks to gather all the required information to make my case.
In the end I proved myself to have made sufficient progress in my life, and have demonstrated reliability and trustworthiness in employment to such a degree that they felt I would not be a security risk.  I was granted ERS

Now after almost 2 years of trying, I‘m at the waiting stage (all my testing/interviews are done)  Only I‘m holding my breath moreso than most other people because of the criminal record. It‘s a pretty significant minus to have on your file, and a lot of people will be selected ahead of me because of it.  I‘m crossing my fingers for a big recruitment season.
The reason I‘m telling you this is to let you know that the criminal record is likely to slow down your recruitment process considerably, and you need to be prepared to dig in and fight for yourself.
This is assuming that your record is "serious" of course.  I‘ve heard other people say that they were able to explain away their convictions without having to go through the ERS process.  You should probably already know which it will be.

Anyway, good luck.
Keep at it no matter what and you‘ll get through.

James Wood

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2004, 21:15:00 »
hey Graham D. What do you think a conditional discharge will do to my process, no serious crime, just pety stuff. Will that slow my process down considerably? I have an interview on the 31st

Offline Benoit

• Fallen Comrade
  • Pte. (R)
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2004, 13:41:00 »
What is an advanced backround check? I was talking to the recuriter yesterday and he told me once they get my pt results and my edvanced backround check then everything else is smooth sailing. Thnaks in advance
God I love it, God help me I do.
Gen.George Patton

Offline GrahamD

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2004, 16:16:00 »
Did he say advanced or "enhanced"?

Every potential member of the Canadian Armed Forces must be granted "Enhanced Reliability Status" before they are eligiable for employment.
The CAF does a detailed backround check on every induvidual to determine if the candidate is worthy of this status.
Basically they do a criminal record check, follow up on the references that you provided them, and do a credit history check.  As long as there is no problems in any of those areas, then it should still continue go fairly smoothly for you.

smoky

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2004, 12:52:00 »
what do they look at in the credit history??

im making payments osap and well my credits not that great  :(   but i dont owe anyone money

BestOfTheBest

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2004, 13:15:00 »
I just went today and did my applications forms, and they said that i need to do the normal bakground check first, then do another check because i was not born in Canada although I have my Canadian Citizen Ship.
The guy said the process will take a long time for that because of the two background checks, which sucks becuase I am not be gareented to go to basic this summer.  :(

Offline ringo_mountbatten

• Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2004, 20:05:00 »
From what I know about the credit check they are looking more for whether you will be able to pay your cuurent loans off with the pay you will recieve.  As for student loans, it is not a big deal because almost everyone has them in one form or another.  I think they are looking for more bouncing checques once a month and maxxing out credit cards at the same frequency and not paying them.

Offline primer

• Rate Post
    • www.armycadethistory.com
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2004, 02:57:00 »
This might help. I had to do an upgrade last week.
It sounds like a security check..

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/tbsf-fsct/330-47_e.asp

Cheers::
True North Strong and Free

CIC Coin # 091

Superman

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2004, 01:28:00 »
Haha.. ummm no.. Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) does a security check on you... It probably checks out if you have a criminal record... if you have been to any foriegn countries that are on our bad list.. Im quite possitive they dont come see your neighbours... If they did they woulda had a little trouble trying to get info out of the chickens and cows on my orchard/farm...

Offline hoser

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2004, 02:10:00 »
The closest they come to asking anybody about you is the reference letters they ask you to provide.  So even if 99% of the people you know hate you and would say bad things about you, all you have to do is come up with two people who would say otherwise.

Trey

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2004, 02:15:00 »
Actually, they do.
I‘ve got some family in the government (fairly high level), and they get that kind of security check  every 7 or 10 years (I forget which). They check with the neighbours to find out if any suspicious stuff goes on at your house.

I‘m also having that kind of security check done, becuase I‘ve been out of the country within the last year. I had to give 3 neighbourhood references.

Offline Greywolf

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2004, 12:21:00 »
I have to enter the name of a neighbor for the references other than the 3 (who could be friends, colleagues...).  That‘s on the form where you have to take to St. Jean when you go to Basic.
Antes la muerte que la deshonra

Offline Willy

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2004, 14:23:00 »
Yes and no.

If you require a security clearance, then a much more detailed background check will be done.  Depending on what kind of clearance you need, a visit may well be made to your neighborhood.  It won‘t be made by the dummies from the CFRC just swinging by your place on their way back from Tim‘s though, it‘s CSIS that does such checks.  Don‘t worry about your neighbor not knowing you, it‘s probably better that way.

Gorgon5000

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2004, 16:30:00 »
My name raised red flags the first time they sent my clearence out to borden so they recalled me in for finger prints to verify I was the good guy with my name and not the convicted killer with the same.

Dehahaha

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2004, 03:32:00 »
Hello. I was just wondering when CF does a back ground check on me, are they looking for a criminal record? Thanks.