Author Topic: Security Check/Level Superthread (incl dual citizenship) - Check Here First  (Read 515100 times)

Offline mike

• Rate Post
has anyone been through the process of having a enhanced reliability check on them?? myself, i have 3 assaults and went for my interview today. i am now told that i will have to wait 3 months for my fingerprints to come back, at that time my file will go in front of a review board where they will decide if  i am trustworthy enough to be accepted into the military. i also have to provide them with all my prior court documents as well as probation reports.
has anyone been in my shoes?? what outcome should i expect? my interviewer told me the interview went very well and i was an above average applicant..........help please!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 21:57:41 by George Wallace »

Offline GrahamD

• Rate Post
Re: enhanced reliability check etc....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 18:48:00 »
Well, I have been through this process also.  I have talked about it in a few threads, I‘ll try and track them down and link to them later.

I can‘t really tell you what to expect in the long run.
I can tell you that they ultimately granted me Enhanced Reliability Status after they reviewed all my information.
However I‘m in the waiting process right now so I have no idea if they are going to give me a job offer or not.
I guess I‘ll have a better idea if I don‘t hear from them in the next 8 weeks or so.

Offline mike

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 18:52:00 »
i appreciate the help from you and all others, they say not to expect anything to happen for 6 months. is your situation similar to mine by chance?

Offline GrahamD

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 19:20:00 »
Well I originally applied about 2.5 years ago now.
I had a weapons restriction still in effect at the time so they closed my file.
I petitioned a judge to remove my weapons restiction, which he did, but when I took the legal documents to the CFRC they told me I had to wait for 6 months to reapply (because you need to be 6 months clear of legal obligations to the courts).

I was disapointed but I decided it was a good chance to work on my fitness.
The 6 months elapsed during a long weekend and I was really excited to reapply the following Tuesday.
However on the Sunday I broke my leg in a skydiving accident.  It was a pretty serious break and required surgery to put in a bolt and reattach all my ligaments.
I was in a cast for about 4 months and had more surgery to remove the bolt.
I spent about 6 months after that in physio trying to condition my leg back to a degree where I could realistically cope with the rigors of life in the infantry.
 It was a nice stroke of luck that my physio therapist was an ex medic from the CAF, and seeing him several times a week afforded me a lot of insight and motivation toward continuing to pursue this carrer choice.

Anyway, so when I finished with physio I started back into trying to condition myself to surpass the minimum requitements handily.  Unfortunately my cardio fitness level is not where it was before the accident, but I passed that portion and did 34/40 on pushups/situps.

When I was ready to reapply finaly,  They made me go for allergy testing because of a few bad bee stings I had as a kid (3 months for blood work) and when I got that squared away, that‘s when they sprung the Enhanced Reliability Status thing on me.  It took me about 3 months to get that sorted out.
So finaly about 3 weeks ago now I went for my interview and handed in a medical document that I was still missing.  They shipped my med file to Borden that day.  I went for a second PT test because the first was outdated (6 months) about 2 weeks ago, and with that my file is totally up to date.

They said when the med file comes back (it should have by now) that they will send my complete file back to Borden and hopefully I‘ll hear something soon.
So I‘m hoping to something any day.  They quoted me "within 8 weeks".  If I don‘t hear something by then I should call in and see whats happening.
Although I have a feeling that if  don‘t hear something in that time frame that its going to be bad news when I call in.

Thats my situation.

Offline mike

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 19:31:00 »
sounds somewhat like my situation, first applied for reg force infantry about 2.5 yrs ago and just as you were, told to come back 6 months after all was cleared in the courts. re-applied after waiting the correct amount of time, waited and waited for a call to come, finally moved to b.c. (originally from wpg) to start our own business, then ironically i recieved a call from cfrc approx 2 weeks after we had gotten settled from our move etc. i then decided to give our business a go instead of continuing the application process (health and fitness club so fitness is not a problem!!) but still found myself talking nonstop to my wife about how if i don‘t at least try and get in i‘m going to go through life wondering, "what if". and also just as happened to you, the enhanced reliability check is now in effect!!
i‘d like to know who else is in our boat!!!!

Exvitae

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 20:52:00 »
I, too, am worried about the enhanced reliability check because I have bad credit.  (My experience of being self-employed did not work out at all.)  

I really hope they can look at extenuating circumstances and realize that nothing fraudulent or criminal occured - business just didn‘t work out the way I expected it to.

Got my test on tuesday and my medical the week after.  

mm

Offline GrahamD

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 23:42:00 »
Originally posted by Exvitae:
[qb] I, too, am worried about the enhanced reliability check because I have bad credit.  (My experience of being self-employed did not work out at all.)  

I really hope they can look at extenuating circumstances and realize that nothing fraudulent or criminal occured - business just didn‘t work out the way I expected it to.

Got my test on tuesday and my medical the week after.  

mm [/qb]
The credit is only a portion of what they look at.  They understand that most people have some form of debt to deal with.

As long as you don‘t have severe debt, that you‘ve never tried to pay down, then you‘re probably in the clear.
I myself am paying a collection agency for a defaulted student loan, and even that combined with a criminal record did not prevent me from gaining Enhanced Reliability Status.

My conclusion on the subject is that the CFRC knows that people make mistakes in life, and so long as you have learned from the mistakes and have demonstrated change, they are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

As for:  
They do not investigate you and gather evidence with which to press charges.  If there is no criminal record they will not assume you are a fraud or a criminal.
I don‘t know if you‘ve ever seen what a credit report looks like, but it only contains numbers, dates, and credit institution names.
It gives no deatils of "what" happened, so whatever you tell them they will take at face value.
They will know the exact months you forgot to pay a credit card on time, or missed a loan payment etc., but they don‘t care, as long as you didn‘t stop paying all together.

geofftheref

For those applicants like myself who have not spent the last 10 years living in Canada, we have to go through the Security Clearance Pre-assessment.  The CFRC is telling me 6-18 months to get this, does anyone have any first hand experience of this ?

humint

Re: Security Clearance Pre-assessment
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2003, 11:22:00 »
CSIS will do this, as with all sec.checks. They will likely talk to a few people/friends, may be relatives, the embassy, criminal records, travel history, etc., there own files, etc. In Canada, it only takes a few weeks.

It takes a long time because of the backlog and the fact that you are overseas. Almost every fed dept is getting a sec.check done, even for the lowest positions, so there are a lot of people in front of you.

There are lots of article on-line about CSIS and sec.checks, profiling, etc.

Do a quick search of the following online papers and you‘ll come up with plenty: Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, and The National Post.

You may also want to check the CSIS website for anything on sec.checks, etc. Although, what they say there will be corporate.

Illucigen

Re: Security Clearance Pre-assessment
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 19:01:00 »
depends on your clearance needs. If you are to be an officer, or in sigs, for example, youll need a higher clearance than just enhanced reliability (in any case Im sure there are senior ncm‘s out there who have high clearances as well).

The standard clearance for an officer is Secret, Top Secret for MARS people. This is only done after you join and after you clear an enhanced reliability, so... I wouldnt be surprised if they wanted to check first, before finding out your a crook in britain :-)

Offline Ralph

• Rate Post
Security/medical checks at St-Jean
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2003, 12:09:00 »
I was reading up on BOTP on the CFLRS site and it says the officer cadets go through another security check and more medical testing once course starts. So it‘s still possible to fail out after having passed the first round of tests and after I‘ve quit my job and moved across the country? What exactly do they do for the security clearance and the medical stuff at St-Jean?
Cheers,
Ralph.

Offline ProPatria05

• Rate Post
Re: Security/medical checks at St-Jean
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 14:20:00 »
I‘m not 100% sure on this, but...

I believe the security bit is simply getting your official security clearance. You are actually assigned a level e.g. confidential, secret, top secret, etc. This is different from the security check the Recruiting Centre does. I recently went through this with my Reserve Unit - I have a minor criminal offense on my record and there was no issue.

As for the medical, I noticed on the same site you‘re referring to that they mentioned eye and dental exams. I don‘t imagine there would be any issues with this if there wasn‘t one at the Recruiting Centre.

Ian

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2003, 15:22:00 »
Hey,

The security checks they are reffering to are probably a few periods at St-Jean where they have you fill out those papers again. They also get some more information at that time so they can make your ID cards and Dog Tags.

The only medical things they did at St-Jean were bloodwork for the vaccinations and an eye exam for a free pair of ugly eyeglasses, as well as a bunch of dental examinations.

I don‘t think you have anything to worry about once you show up at St-Jean apart from passing your course.  :)

Illucigen

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2003, 12:05:00 »
When you going through ST Jean?

The basic security clearance required for officers is SECRET (most trades), TOP SECRET (select trades, such as MARS).

At the recruiting centre, all the did was do a CPIC on you and maybe call a few references. This gave you an enhanced reliability, which is significantly lower than a Secret clearance.

You can go to the CSIS website and look up clearances for what they will be looking for.

It will be a period of the course where you fill out the forms all over again (even if you filled em out before coming on course) and take your fingerprints (unless you already have a clearance with the Govn‘t.)

As for medicals, you‘ll only see a nurse for vaccinations,unless of course you get sick or something.

Dental exams are done for EVERYONE, and Eye exams for anyone who has glasses.

Offline Gunnar

• Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.ealdormere.sca.org
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2003, 14:42:00 »
Pulled from the site:

There are three levels of security clearance as defined by the GSP: Confidential (Level I), Secret (Level II) and Top Secret (Level III). The level of security clearance required is determined by the need for access to classified information or assets in the performance of duties associated with an individual’s employment.

Level I and II security clearance requests, which are conducted electronically, require checks in CSIS data banks. Most result in a recommendation to grant the clearance being made to the Departmental or Agency Security Officer (DSO/ASO). Further enquiries including an interview with the subject or a full field investigation may be required at times, if the process reveals questionable information. A full field investigation is required for all Level III security clearances.

A field investigation includes CSIS records checks, the interview of friends, neighbours and employers, local police checks and possibly an interview of the applicant. During the course of the enquiries, every effort is made to explain the purpose of the questions being posed and participation in the interviews is voluntary.
If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism --Thomas Sowell

Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for the West as it commits suicide.

Illucigen

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2003, 19:48:00 »
Top Secret can be a *****, and can take upwards of a year. Several of the MARS Ocdts here still are waiting on theirs.

Arty

Security Clearance
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2003, 10:46:00 »
Hello to ALL,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me just how long does it take to obtain security clearance?

Since I was not born in Canada, and came here in 1998, so I do not meet the 5 years mininum residency requirement.  As a result, after my CFAT and interview with my unit, my file was sent to CSIS in October 2002 and I have not heard anything yet.  They say 6-18 months, but is it really that long?  :rocket:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 16:02:13 by George Wallace »

Offline Caz

• Rate Post
Re: Security Clearence
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2003, 11:58:00 »
Wow, I wish I could help you out with that.

I could see CSIS taking that long.  My advice would be to keep contact open with your CFRC contact, and maybe they can see what‘s going on with your file.

Bureaucrats have a habit of forgetting things, unless they are periodically reminded  ;)

Good luck!
JRC

geofftheref

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2003, 12:09:00 »
I am in the same position, the CSIS has had my file since April this year and I‘m not expecting much movement for 6-18 months.  I know someone who works for the CSIS, and I‘m told the process is not long (3-4 weeks) but the backlog of applications is.  Considering It took me 12 months to get to the point where my file was sent to the CSIS I‘m guessing it could be 3 years before I get the chance to join.  Could be a record ?!

Offline sm0ke

• Rate Post
  • Civ IT Geek
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2003, 12:12:00 »
does credit history effect your application at all?

Offline Caz

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2003, 21:46:00 »
A credit check is run as part of your enhanced reliability clearance.  If you have horrible credit, and a history of bankruptcy, or skipping town...  it can affect your application.
JRC

Offline Aquilus

• Rate Post
Re: reliablilty check?
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2003, 04:05:00 »
You should have recieved a sheet of paper with your app. that has questions on it. Its to help you prepare for your interview. Take the time to look over the questions and write down answers.
Other than that, they dont really tell you what they are looking for. If you are reserve, its always a good idea to go to your local unit and talk to a recruiter, and get a referal form. I was told by my recruiter that if you have a referal, and you dont go into a killing rage with your interviewer, you‘ll do fine.

EricR

security check? parking tickets...
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2003, 15:59:00 »
Just wondering how parking tickets effect your security check if they are unpaid due to being out of work for so long?  I was divorced 3 years ago and lived out of my car for 4-5 months and aquired a few tix as well as infractions wich i have not been able to pay due to being out of work on and off for the last 3 years. times are hard, and part of my joining is to get back on track in life.  I have since had my license suspended untill fines are paid is this going to effect me getting in etc...
God i hope not.  This is to important.
thanks
eric   :cdn:

Offline Bert

• Rate Post
  • Military
Re: security check? parking tickets...
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2003, 19:48:00 »
I‘ll take a crack at this.

The security check looks at your history and determines whether you are a relavtively stable person who can be trusted with important information and government assets.  Using criteria and info they find from your past and present, they make a determination and clear you for a certain security level.

Simple and small fines are not important but big wopping fines that may affect your employment in the Forces (like having to get a second job to make ends meet and the issues it may cause to your personal and working life, stress placed on you because of the fine, that sorta thing) will be a problem.  

Definitely, having unpaid fines and the temporary loss of your drivers license will affect your process.  I was told in my interview that all debts like fines had to be dealth with prior to getting and accepting the job offer.  Having the license is important since you may be driving military vehicles.  This may be most important.

I‘d say pay the fines and get your license back.  
Once this is done, you should be OK.  Definitely talk to your local Recruiter to get real information about your situation.

Etown

Re: security check? parking tickets...
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2003, 00:13:00 »
I can only speak for my personal experience, but my application is on hold due to an error on my credit report. Basically it shows an unpaid Mastercard bill  from about six years ago. It turns out that it was a reporting error (confirmed by Mastercard), but I still need to have it cleared up before my application can continue. My advice is get those bills paid asap.

Bert - you don‘t need a civilian drivers license to drive military vehicles. My sister drove for her engineer sqn for a couple years before she got her civilian license.