Author Topic: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]  (Read 1824615 times)

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
Re: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]
« Reply #1950 on: December 18, 2016, 23:27:06 »
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I just wanted to get some insight on because I am not that great at test, sometimes when I do tests I get Test Anxiety and it hinders me from doing well on certain tests, but I get what you said by even scoring low but qualify, you can still get in but you will have to wait longer for an opening. Thanks again.
No worries, if you havent already wrote it, there are lots of good study guides on this site. Concentrate on grade 10 math. Decimals to fractions and number patterns. Its really not that bad.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline Rex12345

• Rate Post
« Reply #1951 on: December 18, 2016, 23:31:58 »
No worries, if you havent already wrote it, there are lots of good study guides on this site. Concentrate on grade 10 math. Decimals to fractions and number patterns. Its really not that bad.

Yeah I got a few things to practice with like a book called Pass the CFAT and the CFAT Trainer APP on my phone. I seem to score in the 70 to 80 percentile on those practice tests, but when it comes to real tests the anxiety hits, lol.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #1952 on: December 18, 2016, 23:34:10 »
Yeah I got a few things to practice with like a book called Pass the CFAT and the CFAT Trainer APP on my phone. I seem to score in the 70 to 80 percentile on those practice tests, but when it comes to real tests the anxiety hits, lol.
I found math.com was really good at getting me ready for the math portion.
The cfat can be stressful....just take a breath, relax, and work through it.

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline Rex12345

• Rate Post
« Reply #1953 on: December 18, 2016, 23:37:44 »
I found math.com was really good at getting me ready for the math portion.
The cfat can be stressful....just take a breath, relax, and work through it.

Thanks. The trades I really want to apply for are Infantry, Artillery, and either Combat Engineer or Mobile Support Equipment Operator. I don't know what the competition is like for those trades, but I will do my best to qualify for those trades.

Offline GINge!

• Rate Post
« Reply #1954 on: February 13, 2017, 23:17:37 »
Hey Fellas, first time over in this part of Army.ca. Got a friend who wrote her CFAT today. She was trying for PSEL. Did not meet the cut off. That's the short version.

A bit more info - she has graduated with BA in Psych, was a former PRes Security Officer (Lt), passed FORCE, E-E-E French profile, has held TS clearance, and currently a project director managing 'large' budget for DND. She has also been out of highschool for 20+ years, and despite numerous practice tests and apps, did not meet the cut.

My question is..is this the end? I understand the value of a standardized test, but I do believe the CAF is mission out on someone who forgot how to divide a fraction or could not put the cube with right circles back together.

It got me wondering on a hypothetical...Let's say we have a civilian, he's a Radiologist. We're in critical short supply. Because this guy so specialized in his medical fields, he's forgotten some basic math rules too. Does the CAF forgo an opportunity to hire someone like that because of CFAT?

Thanks for any info, its been nearly 30 years since I wrote mine, and I'm 100% certain I could not pass it 'cold' now.
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

Offline canadianbacon22

• Rate Post
« Reply #1955 on: February 14, 2017, 22:26:01 »
Hey Fellas, first time over in this part of Army.ca. Got a friend who wrote her CFAT today. She was trying for PSEL. Did not meet the cut off. That's the short version.

A bit more info - she has graduated with BA in Psych, was a former PRes Security Officer (Lt), passed FORCE, E-E-E French profile, has held TS clearance, and currently a project director managing 'large' budget for DND. She has also been out of highschool for 20+ years, and despite numerous practice tests and apps, did not meet the cut.

My question is..is this the end? I understand the value of a standardized test, but I do believe the CAF is mission out on someone who forgot how to divide a fraction or could not put the cube with right circles back together.

It got me wondering on a hypothetical...Let's say we have a civilian, he's a Radiologist. We're in critical short supply. Because this guy so specialized in his medical fields, he's forgotten some basic math rules too. Does the CAF forgo an opportunity to hire someone like that because of CFAT?

Thanks for any info, its been nearly 30 years since I wrote mine, and I'm 100% certain I could not pass it 'cold' now.

So her CFAT result wasn't high enough for her trade? I pulled this from the Forces website.

REWRITES

Rewriting the test is only allowed in certain conditions. If you do not pass, you can request to rewrite the test after 3 months. You will only be allowed to write the test a third time if you provide proof that you are registered in a college or university program, and that you are passing courses without difficulty.

Offline DirtOnMyBoots

• Rate Post
« Reply #1956 on: March 06, 2017, 17:46:29 »
When I saw the topic of this thread I visibly winced. I got to my CFAT 15 minutes early and had a 5 minute lecture on the importance of being 30 minutes early. With that said cancelling is one thing, completely missing it is another. While it probably didn't scream "responsible" to reschedule you certainly won't have any black marks on your application for doing so.
Recruting Center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade Choice: Intelligence
CFAT completed : December, 2016
Application: September, 2016
First Contact: October, 2016
Enrolment Interview: March 27, 2017
Medical: March 8, 2017
Position offered: TBD
Enrollment/swearing in: TBD

Offline MikeApplying

• Rate Post
« Reply #1957 on: March 13, 2017, 21:04:12 »
Hi all, sorry for the CFAT question..I'm sure you get far too many as it is. I write the CFAT next Tuesday and I have spent the last 6 weeks or so preparing and reviewing math. I am confident about my ability to solve the sorts of problems on the CFAT problem solving section. But I am worried about the time constraints. I'm not that quick at math and I'm a lot slower reading off a computer screen than from paper. Are the questions long or require a lot of arithmetic? Or are the questions generally similar in format to the practice test? The practice test questions are usually a sentence or two in length, and I think I can handle that in under a minute but nothing more. Note that I am not asking anything about the content of questions so I hope I'm not breaking any rules. Any reassurance would help me get over some pre-test nerves. Thanks!
Recruiting Centre: London, ON Detachment
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: DEO Officer
Trade Choice 1: MARS
Trade Choice 2: Intelligence
Application Date: February 3, 2017
CFAT: March 21, 2017
Interview: May 1, 2017
Medical Exam: May 1, 2017
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing in:
BMOQ:

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1958 on: March 13, 2017, 21:08:47 »
Hi all, sorry for the CFAT question..

For reference, perhaps,

Length of CFAT questions

will be merged with,

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=23193.0
36 pages.

See also,

CFAT Math Specific Questions (Merged)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=26449.50
8 pages.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 21:14:53 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1959 on: March 14, 2017, 08:51:34 »
Hi all, sorry for the CFAT question..I'm sure you get far too many as it is.

Yes, as you can see - thirty-six pages in this thread alone, and more in the Math-Specific one.

Please take some time and explore existing threads. Start with the stickied ones at the top of each forum. They are stickied for a reason.

Offline MikeApplying

• Rate Post
« Reply #1960 on: March 22, 2017, 21:17:14 »
First off, I cannot and will not tell you anything about the aptitude test itself, it would be a crime to do so. But I do want to share my experience preparing for the test. I was very nervous to write it, and I'm sure there are other people who, like me, are nervous test-takers and are feeling the same.

I wrote the test yesterday and qualified for all the occupations I applied for. I achieved it by STUDYING. I hear many people say things about their approach and they often fall into one of two categories. There are the (i) "It's an aptitude test, there's no real way to prepare for it" sort of people and there are the (ii) "You shouldn't try to prepare it for it because then they won't get an accurate idea of how capable you are and you'll get offered a trade you can't handle" sort of people. IMHO these are both very wrong attitudes to take. It's an aptitude test, not an IQ test. Study.

That leads me to my next point - study materials. I looked at a lot of internet sources and apps and considered a few books, but there are three sources in particular that I believe helped me a lot. Number one is the book 501 Math Word Problems. It was definitely worth the 20 or so bucks I spent on it. Just search it on Amazon or something. This book will lead you through mathematical word problems that range in difficulty and complexity, and give a comprehensive set of answers to all the questions that not only tell you the right answer, but explain how to get there. Working through about 60-70% of this book before I wrote the test really helped me a lot to sharpen my problem solving skills. I'm a whiz at algebraic word problems now, where you're given a scenario and have to come up with an equation and solve to find the answer. Yet before, if you were to show me one of those problems I'd just shrug. For vocabulary I used an app called Vocabulary Builder by a company called Magoosh (for Android, I don't know if it's available for iPhone). The app gives you vocabulary flash cards and quizzes you until you get them all right, and moves you through a number of different difficulty levels. For spatial, I used an app called 3D Cubes. It's a really simple app (again, for Android) that gives you folded and unfolded cubes with different patterns and asks you to indicate whether the folded cube can be made from the unfolded pattern. I believe this app helped me to develop and strengthen my perception of spatial relationships.

But it's not just about what you study, but how you study. Study consistently. Don't just sit down on Saturday afternoon and hit the books for five hours and then do nothing through the week. That won't cut it. Do an hour every day, it's much more effective.

Finally, one of the biggest things I learned you need to get good at to be successful is executional efficiency. What I mean is, just because you understand a problem doesn't mean you can quickly and efficiently solve it. For the CFAT, you're going to have to work quickly and efficiently. Admittedly, I focused too much on learning to recognize certain kinds of problems and solve them and not enough on solving them quickly. Don't just aim to sharpen your problem-solving skills, aim to gain speed an accuracy. If you're like me and you're not so good at math, this will be difficult. But it's very doable! You may surprise yourself with how much progress you make if you study consistently rather than in bouts.

Good luck to all those writing the test. Hopefully nothing I said here breaks any rules. Godspeed!
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing in:
BMOQ:

Offline Ryan_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #1961 on: March 22, 2017, 21:26:04 »
I passed mine yrs ago.. if you have studied your problem solving and math, you shouldnt have to much of a problem. Get some good sleep the night before and try not to be nervous. Go in with confidence. I failed the 1st time from being to nervous. The 2nd time i passed. I had more confidence that i can do it.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1962 on: March 22, 2017, 21:36:07 »
First off, I cannot and will not tell you anything about the aptitude test itself, it would be a crime to do so. But I do want to share my experience preparing for the test. I was very nervous to write it, and I'm sure there are other people who, like me, are nervous test-takers and are feeling the same.

I just added thirty-six pages to your thread, just to keep things all nice and neat and in one place 'n' all.

I kept the title from the other thread, though, to make it easier for all of the people who know where to look already.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Loachman

Offline MikeApplying

• Rate Post
« Reply #1963 on: March 22, 2017, 21:37:56 »
I passed mine yrs ago.. if you have studied your problem solving and math, you shouldnt have to much of a problem. Get some good sleep the night before and try not to be nervous. Go in with confidence. I failed the 1st time from being to nervous. The 2nd time i passed. I had more confidence that i can do it.

Nerves can be a real problem. I was extremely nervous, I don't know how I managed to pass on the first attempt. People should realize that being too nervous can give you a serious short-term cognitive deficit and lead to failure. It doesn't mean you aren't capable, just means you need more confidence.
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing in:
BMOQ:

Offline Ryan_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #1964 on: March 22, 2017, 22:42:32 »
Nerves can be a real problem. I was extremely nervous, I don't know how I managed to pass on the first attempt. People should realize that being too nervous can give you a serious short-term cognitive deficit and lead to failure. It doesn't mean you aren't capable, just means you need more confidence.
I agree. I had more confidence on my 2nd attempt.

Offline Eric16

• Rate Post
« Reply #1965 on: March 24, 2017, 04:19:18 »
How does the CFAT scoring work? I've selected 3 trades listed below, and only qualified for boatswain. The captain at the recruit centre said I bombed the English and the spatial part, but I did decent on the math part which boosted my overall mark up. I'm planning to apply to RMC in my grade 12 year (if I can get in) if I only qualified for boatswain, and not my 2 other selected trade. Does that mean I did horrible? And probably will have to take the CFAT again in order to go through the ROTP program?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:25:02 by Eric16 »
Recruiting Centre: HMCS Discovery/New Westminister RC
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: Boatswain
Trade Choice 3: Naval Communicator
Online Application: July 19th 2016
First Contact: July 21th 2016
FORCE test: July 28th, 2016 (Passed)
CFAT: September 22nd, 2016 (Passed)
Medical: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Interview: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Position offered: Boatswain
Swearing in: December 6th, 2016
BMQ: July 3 Weeks

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #1966 on: March 24, 2017, 07:53:15 »
Please READ the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ Thread and other CFAT related threads.

No need for yet another CFAT thread.

Topic Locked
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #1967 on: April 13, 2017, 10:30:19 »
How does the CFAT scoring work? I've selected 3 trades listed below, and only qualified for boatswain. The captain at the recruit centre said I bombed the English and the spatial part, but I did decent on the math part which boosted my overall mark up. I'm planning to apply to RMC in my grade 12 year (if I can get in) if I only qualified for boatswain, and not my 2 other selected trade. Does that mean I did horrible? And probably will have to take the CFAT again in order to go through the ROTP program?

Being that you've selected 3 NCM trades and you were told that you only qualified for 1 of them, if you're trying to go ROTP you are going to have to write the CFAT again as Officer occupations require a higher CFAT score than most of the NCM occupations.

Offline zodiac13

• Rate Post
« Reply #1968 on: May 04, 2017, 13:22:42 »
Hello All,

I just wrote the CFAT this morning and received a response within two hours. I am surprised at how quickly they got back to me. The bad news is I do not qualify for my chosen trade based on my results, which is ATIS tech. The trades I do qualify for, I have no interest in. Basically they are Infatry, Crewman, Boatswain, Medical Assistant, Mobile Support equipment, Operator, Combat Engineeer, Artillery, Int OP, Cook, and steward.

I am trying to figure out where I went wrong. I left about half of the questions blank on the vocabulary part of the test as I marked them to go back to then ran out of time. I don't know if that worked against me or not.

Also when I filled out the substance use form, I was completely honest and admitted to drug use that I did over ten years ago. Nothing major but things like shrooms and ecstacy. Did I screw myself by being this honest? I figure its better to be honest than to lie.

The whole thing is a blow to the self esteem. I feel like I would be a good fit as an ATIS tech as I have been in the field of IT for over 10 years and am currently a network administrator.

Anyway, just wanted to rant and get others feedback.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 13:28:29 by zodiac13 »

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #1969 on: May 04, 2017, 13:35:21 »
Blank answers are always wrong. Best guess answers are 50/50. Fly through the ones you definitely know, go back and best guess the rest. A lot of vocabulary questions answer themselves if you break the word down into components. If you don't like the trades offered, wait a year and reapply, or take one as a foot in the door and attempt remaster later.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1970 on: May 04, 2017, 14:34:38 »
Blank answers are always wrong. Best guess answers are 50/50. Fly through the ones you definitely know, go back and best guess the rest. A lot of vocabulary questions answer themselves if you break the word down into components. If you don't like the trades offered, wait a year and reapply, or take one as a foot in the door and attempt remaster later.

Or go take an upgrading course (English) and ask for a rewrite.  I believe if you prove you have further educated yourself (course certificate/report/grade), they will grant you a rewrite.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1971 on: May 04, 2017, 14:44:55 »
Welcome to Army.ca, zodiac13

Please read through this thread, into which I have merged yours. There is little that has not been answered herein.

Offline CalifornianMoose

• Rate Post
« Reply #1972 on: July 22, 2017, 18:50:26 »
Hey fellow applicants,

Like many of you, I've been wondering about the various aspects of the application process.

If you're waiting to take the CFAT, you're welcome to ask me what I did to pass.
I qualified for all NCM and officer trades.
It involved selectively tackling what I needed to review (algebra and spatial skills) while using time constraints during practice tests to simulate exam day. It sounds like a no-brainer, but maybe there is something useful I can offer you. Feel free to ask anytime. 

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1973 on: July 22, 2017, 20:55:40 »
Your offer is most kind.

There are seventy-nine pages in this thread, however. Unless somebody has read through them, they should not be asking a question that has already been answered, possibly multiple times. That's why some of these threads are as long as they are.

If you discovered a new/unique method, please share with all.