Author Topic: "Unionizing" the CF (merged)  (Read 78381 times)

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: "Unionizing" the CF (merged)
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2017, 15:08:33 »
The notwithstanding clause lets you set aside the rights and freedoms of art 2 and arts 7 to 15. Basically, the fundamental freedoms such as freedom of conscience, of belief, of expression, then the  judicial rights against search, seizure, your rights if arrested, etc (but including the right to life and liberty - but this one is already limited by "as exist" in a free and democratic society, which includes the right to conscript in most democracies I know), and the most important for setting aside: The right to non-discrimination based on sex, origin, religion, etc.

Now why would we want to restrict that last one? You implement conscription, bring it down equally on women, LGBT Canadians and members of any faith, I say. They want full equality - no reason not to do their fair share of the killing/dying protection of those rights requires.

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2017, 15:26:56 »
The notwithstanding clause lets you set aside the rights and freedoms of art 2 and arts 7 to 15. Basically, the fundamental freedoms such as freedom of conscience, of belief, of expression, then the  judicial rights against search, seizure, your rights if arrested, etc (but including the right to life and liberty - but this one is already limited by "as exist" in a free and democratic society, which includes the right to conscript in most democracies I know), and the most important for setting aside: The right to non-discrimination based on sex, origin, religion, etc.

Personally, I suspect that Conscription fails Article 7 -- security of the person. But your legal opinion may be equally valid, backed by common standards throughout world democracys. Anyway, it would be fun to see the supreme court case. Well, it would be fun if wasn't happening in the middle of World War III.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2017, 17:05:44 »

Now why would we want to restrict that last one? You implement conscription, bring it down equally on women, LGBT Canadians and members of any faith, I say. They want full equality - no reason not to do their fair share of the killing/dying protection of those rights requires.

I'm sure the groups you've mentioned would find sufficient reason to restrict conscription to eligible males only....white heteros, who have had the "privilege" of fighting and dying for for Canada for 150 years. I can hear the screams of anguish now.....
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2017, 19:36:18 »
I'm sure the groups you've mentioned would find sufficient reason to restrict conscription to eligible males only....white heteros, who have had the "privilege" of fighting and dying for for Canada for 150 years.

Canada has not had conscription in over 70 years.

The US conscripted males of all colours during Vietnam,

"Blacks suffered disproportionately high casualty rates in Vietnam. In 1965 alone they comprised almost one out of every four combat deaths."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War_casualties#Disproportion_of_African_American_casualties

"while blacks only made up about 11% of the population of the US."

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 20:23:44 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
Over, Under, Around or Through.
Anticipating the triumph of Thomas Reid.

"One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”  - James Lovelock

Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. [Ambrose Bierce, 1911]

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2017, 08:25:56 »
If conscription / draft was ever re-instated, how could / would that work with a unionized military?

Unionization during peacetime might be an interesting social experiment, but during wartime?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:25:04 by mariomike »

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2017, 11:21:44 »

Unionization during peacetime might be an interesting social experiment, but during wartime?

I don't know about the rest of the readership but the CAF is not a place for "social experiments". The CAF has a job to do and "social experiments" only distract from that.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: (merged)
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2017, 11:50:42 »
I don't know about the rest of the readership but the CAF is not a place for "social experiments". The CAF has a job to do and "social experiments" only distract from that.

Thank-you.

I did not suggest the peacetime CAF unionize. I understand the CAF has a job to do.

My question was, "If conscription / draft was ever re-instated, how could / would that work with a unionized military?"

"...during wartime?"

Although it hasn't happened since 1945, there may come a time "during hostilities or during a time of war as declared by the Government of Canada" when civilians are drafted into the CAF.

When, like it or not, Reservists are involuntarily activated to full-time and, like it or not, may be sent out of Canada.

VR's will / may be put on hold until "cessation of hostilities".

What good will a union do then?

I do not believe any of the readership served during Conscription.  So, I thought it was a reasonable question.

We have been debating this 11-page  ' "Unionizing" the CF ' thread for the last thirteen years.

I have no dog in the fight either way. Just asking.  :)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 13:10:26 by mariomike »

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2017, 13:54:21 »
I don't know about the rest of the readership but the CAF is not a place for "social experiments".

Huh? We've been a venue for social experimentation for almost four decades that I remember.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2017, 14:18:43 »
Huh? We've been a venue for social experimentation for almost four decades that I remember.

Saw this from a thread fifteen years ago,
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,2435.0/nowap.html

Why I Quit: A Sampling of the Survey

Some responses to the Canadian Forces' survey:

(The Canadian Forces) is now no more than a social experiment conducted by politicians who have no idea what the ultimate role of the military is."

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2017, 16:01:42 »

And you are correct in that assessment. I'm saying the CAF is not the place to conduct them.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2017, 17:08:54 »
But it is, as opposed to shouldn't be.

We do seem to make things work better and sooner than the rest of society, though.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #262 on: March 02, 2017, 17:19:41 »
But it is, as opposed to shouldn't be.

We do seem to make things work better and sooner than the rest of society, though.

Oh, sure, so you're suggesting that we're more effective just because we're run almost exclusively by middle aged white men who oppose unions, right? ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #263 on: March 02, 2017, 18:58:05 »
I have yet to reach middle age, but may qualify as "angry".

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #264 on: March 02, 2017, 19:41:50 »
I have yet to reach middle age, but may qualify as "angry".

So after 43 (?) years of service and those unproductive years prior to joining, you expect to live well past 118 years of age.  I've accepted that I'm a middle aged guy, however, I did get a little pissed several years ago when I saw a sign in a Sears store that indicated age 55 for the senior citizens discount.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Brasidas

• Rate Post
« Reply #265 on: March 28, 2017, 01:19:38 »
So after 43 (?) years of service and those unproductive years prior to joining, you expect to live well past 118 years of age.  I've accepted that I'm a middle aged guy, however, I did get a little pissed several years ago when I saw a sign in a Sears store that indicated age 55 for the senior citizens discount.

Many years ago, I made some idle observations and mentioned to my wife that I felt old. Seeking to reassure me as I approached my 30th birthday, she said that I wasn't old but rather that I was "just middle-aged".