Author Topic: Canadian Army headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general  (Read 167227 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
What we call it really doesn't matter.  It's war.  Call it peacemaking if it makes you feel better.

That's the thing. The liberals campaigned on more PEACEKEEPING  missions and we know that a lot of canadians have  a romanticized/confused /disjointed view on what peacekeeping is.

Whats the end result? The government pulls back fighter planes that are helping kill nasty murdering terrorists  but decide 500 soldiers are going to deploy SOMEWHERE, they're just not sure yet, to get some peacekeeping done.  Somewhere in Africa which is a crap hole. Believe it was Mali where a UN peacekeeper was getting killed every 11 or 13 days?

That harmless terminology may very well get someone on this bored killed.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
And yet the Liberals have gone to great lengths to explain that any of these missions that Canada may take will have real danger - real risk - the possibility of real casualties.  Canadians may picture cute and cuddly blue helmets.  I don't think the government does.

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
Perhaps they speak while hoping that no one is really listening which is probably true.  What the libs are doing is trying to find a painless way to keep Justin's rather foolish election promise.  They have discovered that all the options are quagmires in which we will lose men and equipment and they will lose votes (think Somalia) and they are desperately seeking an alternative.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
That harmless terminology may very well get someone on this board killed.

Exactly. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Online Ostrozac

• Rate Post
That's the thing. The liberals campaigned on more PEACEKEEPING  missions and we know that a lot of canadians have  a romanticized/confused /disjointed view on what peacekeeping is.

Whats the end result? The government pulls back fighter planes that are helping kill nasty murdering terrorists  but decide 500 soldiers are going to deploy SOMEWHERE, they're just not sure yet, to get some peacekeeping done.  Somewhere in Africa which is a crap hole. Believe it was Mali where a UN peacekeeper was getting killed every 11 or 13 days?

That harmless terminology may very well get someone on this bored killed.

I'm not sure why the government hasn't jumped all over a major leadership role for the RCMP in MINUJUSTH (the CIVPOL heavy replacement for MINUSTAH in Haiti). It would seem to check all the boxes -- limited logistics chain, no jihadist threat, well within capability, fulfills a campaign promise without actually deploying expensive armoured vehicles and aircraft. It wouldn't even strain RCMP manning numbers -- the vast majority of CIVPOL for MINUSTAH have been police seconded to the RCMP from the Sûreté du Québec and municipal forces, as the RCMP have historically struggled with generating sufficient numbers of French speaking police.

A cynic would suggest that only Africa will do, as the votes for a UN Security Council seat that Canada is looking for are African votes, or that the Canadian public doesn't think of Blue Beret CIVPOL as 'real' peacekeeping, but who would be that cynical?

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
Semi-related, using jmt's take on things, I heard that one of our 'peacekeepers' elsewhere in the world just recaptured for Canada the world record for longest 'peacekeeping remote stabilization actionTM.'  3,540m. :nod:

Regards
G2G

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
I am a firm believer in "remote stabilization actionTM" and hope that we are doing quite a bit more of it.  Not being PC, I think it should be done with extreme prejudice; but that would only show my bias'.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
This was first posted in July of last year with the heading CF to deploy to Africa soon....   :rofl:

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
I am a firm believer in "remote stabilization actionTM" and hope that we are doing quite a bit more of it.  Not being PC, I think it should be done with extreme prejudice; but that would only show my bias'.

I prefer 'Gunboat Diplomacy'. It's more 'authentic' .... and effective:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunboat_diplomacy
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • Currently posting at Canadian Defence & Foreign Affairs Institute's "3Ds Blog"
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
I prefer 'Gunboat Diplomacy'. It's more 'authentic' .... and effective:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunboat_diplomacy

I always preferred, "Terminated with extreme prejudice."
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
This was first posted in July of last year with the heading CF to deploy to Africa soon....   :rofl:

Okay, you caught us. We like to hold rumors of deployments over the heads of our soldiers to try and bribe them to behave, not get DUIs etc..

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Maybe they meant "very soon" in a geological sense ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Maybe they meant "very soon" in a geological sense ...

More like a glacial pace. :camo: