Author Topic: Canada's New Defence Minister  (Read 106282 times)

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
Re: Canada's New Defence Minister
« Reply #325 on: June 15, 2017, 07:22:54 »
Nope, not the Iltis, that's a whole other fiasco.
 She gave us the LSVW. The rights to build it were bought from Iveco by Western Star. Like the Iltis and Bombardier, is was then built to the lowest standard possible, with inferior parts and the will to make as much as possible off of a government contract at the cost of performance and a complete disregard for the soldiers that then have to use this crap in combat situations. Heaters that wouldn't work because the rubber band it ran on would break in the cold. Crippling, no crap leg breaking spare tire mounts and, IIRC, 60bhp with the turbo kicked in. And we can't leave without the cause of the name, LSVW. Loud Squeeky Vehicle Wheeled. They were the hardest brake pads known to man, actuated by minimum pressure wheel cylinders. All in an attempt to have the warranty, that covered them, void by the time they finally wore out.

Not to mention all those poor RCEME types that ran out of parts for their well maintained '76 Chevy trucks.........
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #326 on: June 15, 2017, 09:12:58 »
Not to mention all those poor RCEME types that ran out of parts for their well maintained '76 Chevy trucks.........

...although, that was one of the better "MIL"COTS buys out there, all things considered.  Yes, the 24V bit always was a bit wonky, but otherwise, it was kind of hard to screw up a Chevy 1-ton (called a 5/4 ;) ).

Regards
G2G

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #327 on: June 15, 2017, 10:14:05 »
We also picked up the US army Dodge 1 ton Milcot as well as a interim buy (not to mention the M151, CJ5)