Author Topic: Former Canadian Soldier Wants to be a Reservist despite PTSD  (Read 2750 times)

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Former Canadian Soldier Wants to be a Reservist despite PTSD
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 11:51:38 »
Post them to the OTU, let them teach fighter pilot courses and fighter weapons instructor courses.  Some of the best fighter IPs I had were reservists with tons of Hornet experience (and in some cases, no Op deployments)

They can keep up with times by participating in multi-national exercises.  A fighter op deployment is always a tiny fraction of what we do (for example, in Irak we only did Close Air Support.  We did Interdiction but that was a piece of cake compared to what we train for).  This is one of 10 mission sets we train for.  In that sense, operational experience is not necessarily the be all end all.  Where we gain valuable experience is when we participate in exercises such as Red Flag.  This is where we truly learn how to employ as a fighting force.  And these individuals could participate.

So yes, retain the experience and find ways to capitalize on the investment.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 12:27:14 »
  has the condition under control and that his PTSD would not impede his performance as a nursing officer.

Impossible to say his PTSD wouldn't impede his performance or he wouldn't be exposed to a trigger and make his condition 100 times worse.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 12:58:02 »
... They can keep up with times by participating in multi-national exercises ...
I don't know if this is the right question, but if someone's medically unfit - for whatever reason - to deploy, or even remain in the employ of the CAF, would they medically fit to even go on ex?  Just askin' ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 13:20:18 »
If they are fit to fly an aircraft, what difference does it make if they fly that aircraft in Cold Lake or in Eielson or Nellis?

Offline Kokanee

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 13:29:13 »
I'll tell you, when I was in MJ, the best instructors were the ones that had just come from an operational unit and the worst were the ones who had just come from MJ themselves or who hadn't seen an operational Sqn in a dog's age, for the simple reason that they had either lost touch with what the rest of the CAF was doing or never had exposure to it in the first place and thought that MJ was the 'real' world.

Ha! Reminds me of a Sgt I had my last year who had come to my Unit (operational) from a school where they had been for over ten years... Literal white glove inspections of field vehicles etc.....
Retired EW 291

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
    • The Home of the Salt, Lilly, Winstall (Wincentaylo) & Blouin Family Tree Website
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 13:33:40 »
If they are fit to fly an aircraft, what difference does it make if they fly that aircraft in Cold Lake or in Eielson or Nellis?

But do the guys and gals posted to the fighter OT sqn even get to go on exercise beyond domestic tasks?  I know for my own fleet they very rarely (almost never) get sent outside their AOR because their primary task is to teach and they are damn busy doing that.
Don't piss me off.  I have two older brothers, work with a bunch of men, and I can kick their asses!
BOOT TO THE HEAD!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 22:46:30 »
What part of unit training do you give up to fund your museum and messes improvement because that would be the decision?

He volunteers, like all the others who do this work. He could likely add more value than a civilian volunteer in some areas because of his military background. And possibly, through networking, he can also find a civvie job locally.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon