Author Topic: RAMBO 3D Printed Grenade Launcher  (Read 1011 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
RAMBO 3D Printed Grenade Launcher
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:01:54 »
Awesome technology and a pretty awesome look.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/meet-rambo-army-badass-3d-175521198.html

You know 3D-printing has hit the big leagues when the military starts using the technology to produce weapons. Researchers at the U.S. Army Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center this week announced the successful development and firing of a 3D-printed grenade from a 3D-printed grenade launcher.

Online Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: RAMBO 3D Printed Grenade Launcher
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 10:06:19 »
I have also wondered about the potential in logistics if, for example, spare parts could be printed and delivered from an in-theatre site.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:29:02 »
Thats a wonderful concept OS.I can see not only a cost savings but also a streamlining of the inventory of spare parts in the field.

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 10:31:17 »
Wonder how long before they can do human spare parts...

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 11:17:13 »
Wonder how long before they can do human spare parts...

MM

There are already companies making prosthetics with 3D printing, some of it specifically being oriented towards areas where standard prosthetic technology is unavailable (i.e. many parts of Africa).

Realistically it will be what the future is, they keep improving the technology by leaps and bounds, and it can do stuff which with traditional manufacturing methods is physically impossible (for example you could make a one piece solid item with a hole in the center completely sealed in, you can't do that with regular casting or machining techniques).

It could possibly end up as its own trade in the military, a designer fabricator type trade, which has the software to make it (and the training) and the ability to set up and maintain the equipment (and select the proper materials etc.). Not saying it would be a large trade, just something to consider for the future.

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 11:46:18 »
I've been using a 3D printer for various projects for a couple of years now. (M3D printer is pretty good bang for its buck) Overall, the technology is good but is still cumbersome. Learning to 3D cad is not hard (Solidworks), but it takes time to get the hang of it. It can take a lot of work to get a fancy printer to cooperate, let along mine. I use it for various parts I need, but it's limited to the forces and temperatures that plastic can take.

Take note that the main components of the grenade launcher are the original parts of a grenade launcher. It's interesting they are trying to use plastic printed projectiles. The ability to print out ammunition is a big plus for sure.

I'm waiting for an aluminum printer that is cost effective. That will open up a lot of doors for using 3D printing. In all, it's hard to predict how much longer it will be before the technology takes hold of military applications.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 13:10:40 »
Fleet Maintenance Facility Cape Scott at the dockyard in Halifax have a large metal printer.  It is only one of a handful in NA and what they're doing is being watched by the USN and others.  It's cutting edge stuff they're involved in.  We had a presentation in Gatineau covering what they're fabricating.  Very, very impressive to say the least.  The ability to make new parts and conduct repairs to existing parts is both a time and money saver for the navy.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 13:33:58 »
We'll know that we've arrived when one can make "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot".

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 17:18:57 »
Didn't realise this was also posted here, I had put an article in the "Equipment" section.

What struck me is while a 3D printer can be very versatile and make unusual or one off items for a fraction of the cost of ordinary machining, it is no substitute for mass production. The length of time it took to make all the parts, finish them and assemble a grenade launcher was several days, whereas once you set up the tooling, you can make a large number of "things" in the same time period. 3D printing is a fascinating subject, but the limitations need to be understood as well as the possibilities.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.