Author Topic: Selling house after BMQ  (Read 2082 times)

Offline fullmetalpacket

• Rate Post
Selling house after BMQ
« on: February 04, 2017, 21:39:01 »
Hello, sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I would like to know if there is any help from the CF after BMQ to sell my house? I mean movers / days off to move the family / etc ?

Thanks
Recruiting Center: CFRC Rimouski
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: AVS Tech
Trade Choice 2: AVN Tech
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: July 2, 2015
First Contact: July 9, 2015
Aptitude Test: July 22, 2015
Medical: September 15, 2015 (PASSED April 2016)
Interview: September 11, 2015
Merit Listed: April 19, 2016
Position Offered: May 4th, 2016 (AVS Tech)
Enrollment/Swear in: July 14th, 2016
BMQ Begins: July 25th, 2016

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Selling house after BMQ
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 04:56:42 »
Once you are approved, yes. 

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/toc-byyear.page

Usually, we get 5 days relocation leave on either end of the move, not counted against your Annual Leave for the year.
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline fullmetalpacket

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 12:54:14 »
Thanks for your reply.

That also works when you are sent to Borden for training? I was told earlier that you needed to be fully trained (QL5) in order to get those benefits.
Trade Choice 3:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 13:21:22 »
Thanks for your reply.

That also works when you are sent to Borden for training? I was told earlier that you needed to be fully trained (QL5) in order to get those benefits.

Usually, you will be posted with full posting benefits after your initial occupation training is complete and you are posted to your first unit.  It doesn't necessarily mean QL5 and it trade dependent.  What trade are you hoping to join as?

Some trades, you can also be approved for a move of family and effects while completing your training;  it depends on how long the training is.  I had a friend who went to CFSATE Borden (AVN Tech) and one who went ATIS Tech (Kingston) who were both approved cost moves of their families and effect (commonly referred to as D HG & E...Dependants, Household Goods and Effects) to their training locations because of the length of training, who then also were moved at public expense after becoming qualified in their occupation (QL3 for both) and posted to their first unit.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 13:24:59 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline fullmetalpacket

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 13:46:42 »
I will "re-join" as AVS Tech. I started BMQ last summer but had to leave on week 5 because of wife pregnancy going bad... Now that everything is fine with the baby the CF are allowing me to re-join without waiting the 1 year period. Really happy about that.

AVS Tech training is theoretically 6 months POET in Kingston followed by 12 months CFSATE. I would need to sell my house and move kids and wife to Borden or Kingston after BMQ.

Thanks for your time and help.

Trade Choice 3:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 14:24:39 »
I will "re-join" as AVS Tech. I started BMQ last summer but had to leave on week 5 because of wife pregnancy going bad... Now that everything is fine with the baby the CF are allowing me to re-join without waiting the 1 year period. Really happy about that.

AVS Tech training is theoretically 6 months POET in Kingston followed by 12 months CFSATE. I would need to sell my house and move kids and wife to Borden or Kingston after BMQ.

Thanks for your time and help.

Well, good luck and hopefully you'll find yourself in Borden sooner than later.  Once you get to CFSATE, I am sure they'll fill you in on what you can/can't do regarding moving your family there with you.  Worst case scenario, you get to move them after your POET/Common Core/QL3 trg when you get posted to  your first unit.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 16:20:21 »
Clarification on moves: There are 3 types of moves within the CAF.
(1) DND (New Recruit) move: This move type is handled by the military (not Brookfield), any clarifications should be channeled through the respective CFRC to the CFRG HQ Movements Sergeant.
(2) DND Move: This move type is handled by the members orderly room (still not Brookfield), any clarifications on benefits should be sent to the applicable HRA/FSA handling your move through the Base Superintendent HRA/FSA to DCBA.
(3) Brookfield Move: This move type is for those that have reached Occupational Function Point (OFP), any clarifications on benefits are clarified directly by Brookfield.

Normally moves that fall under (1) and (2) are prohibited so there isn't much to handle.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 22:48:38 »
OFP = Operational Function Point actually.   ;D

I haven't read thru the IRP stuff in 4ish years, it used to state when the mbr reached "Career Status", which for NCMs was 3 years or QL3 qualified (IIRC), whichever came first.  Not sure if it still goes off that definition.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 11:50:30 »
Even when I was the Movements Sergeant at CFRG HQ I always put occupational by mistake... one of these days I'll stop doing that...

(PS It actually stands for "Operationally Functional Point") :-D

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 15:10:20 »
Ya...they changed it around '09.  You know, to make it...more betterer!   

Any idea if the "Career Status" definition is still part of the whole move deal?

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 11:38:23 »
Clarification on moves: There are 3 types of moves within the CAF.
(1) DND (New Recruit) move: This move type is handled by the military (not Brookfield), any clarifications should be channeled through the respective CFRC to the CFRG HQ Movements Sergeant.
(2) DND Move: This move type is handled by the members orderly room (still not Brookfield), any clarifications on benefits should be sent to the applicable HRA/FSA handling your move through the Base Superintendent HRA/FSA to DCBA.
(3) Brookfield Move: This move type is for those that have reached Occupational Function Point (OFP), any clarifications on benefits are clarified directly by Brookfield.

Normally moves that fall under (1) and (2) are prohibited so there isn't much to handle

My trade has a roughly 4 year training time until OFP, so have done both 2 and 3.  You still get the main benefits for a DND move that you would from a Brookfield in terms of lawyer fees etc when it's not a prohibited move (ie you can buy a house and they move your furniture and effects). 

Not sure how common it is outside the Navy, as our training/employment is effectively at the same location, so it makes sense to not have a prohibited move for 2-3 years after some of the initial stuff is done.