Author Topic: 16 Jan 2017 - VCDS relieved of duty  (Read 13093 times)

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: 16 Jan 2017 - VCDS relieved of duty
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2017, 15:40:14 »
Is this legit? If it is, why has it not been picked up by other media? This story from the Toronto Star, reproduced under the Fair Dealings provision of the Copyright Act, claimed that LGen Alain Parent has been appointed VCDS.

Canada's military gets new senior commander
Canada’s military has a new second-in-command to take the place of Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, who has been sidelined under a cloud.

By BRUCE CAMPION-SMITH Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 6, 2017
OTTAWA — Canada’s military has a new second-in-command to take the place of Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, who has been sidelined under a cloud.

Lt.-Gen. Alain Parent was named acting vice-chief of defence staff Monday by Gen. Jonathan Vance, the chief of defence staff.

Parent is currently is the deputy commander, Allied Joint Force Command Naples, a position he has held since July 2015. He will assume his new role on May 30.

Norman was abruptly removed from his post in January and Vice-Admiral Ron Lloyd, the commander of the Royal Canadian Navy, has tapped to do the vice-chief job, too. Monday’s announcement allows Lloyd to return to his navy job full time.

Vance has been tight-lipped about the circumstances surrounding Norman’s sudden departure, saying only several weeks ago that it was the “right thing to do.”

High-profile Toronto lawyer Marie Henein is now representing Norman and last week, she issued a statement declaring that the long-time navy veteran, “looks forward to being cleared and unequivocally denies any wrongdoing.”

Parent joined the air force in 1979 and went on to fly helicopters before rising through the ranks in a series of command roles.

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2017, 16:51:18 »
The good old National Post is reporting this as well.

(Link withheld for legal reasons)...

Offline Tcm621

• Rate Post
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2017, 20:20:11 »
It's legit. I saw it on the DIN today.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2017, 10:18:24 »
It appears that both sides in this are doubling down.
Admiral Norman hiring a real shark is telling his superiors that he is not going to take one for the team. The release of the story that most security leaks come from the Navy is the senior leadership (IMHO) setting up the evidence for their reasons why Norman was relieved.

I have a feeling that this is not going to end well for either side but there may be silver lining in this cloud. That our procurement system is so FUBARD that this fight will finally show the public how unbelievably bad we are at buying stuff and that we have to burn the whole thing down and start fresh.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2017, 10:22:05 »
It appears that both sides in this are doubling down.
Admiral Norman hiring a real shark is telling his superiors that he is not going to take one for the team. The release of the story that most security leaks come from the Navy is the senior leadership (IMHO) setting up the evidence for their reasons why Norman was relieved.

I have a feeling that this is not going to end well for either side but there may be silver lining in this cloud. That our procurement system is so FUBARD that this fight will finally show the public how unbelievably bad we are at buying stuff and that we have to burn the whole thing down and start fresh.

The Public already knows.  They just don't care. 
Optio

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2017, 10:37:37 »
The Public already knows.  They just don't care.

You would think that the BILLIONS we waste because our procurement system is so FUBARD would cause rioting in the streets. But you are right, nobody cares.

Idiots, the lot of them.

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2017, 16:20:08 »
You would think that the BILLIONS we waste because our procurement system is so FUBARD would cause rioting in the streets. But you are right, nobody cares.

Idiots, the lot of them.

I don't think the public quite fully understands how messed up the system is. I concur that they understand it is not running how it should, I just don't believe they have wrapped their head around how bad it is.

I am also starting to think that the public is starting to accept that the government misspending a couple billion here and there is the new norm in certain government programs. It happens so frequently that it will have to take a major misstep in order to stimulate the public and get their attention.

Offline Loachman

• Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2017, 18:19:15 »

Idiots, the lot of them.

Nobody's kicking up a fuss over the billions to be wasted buying eighteen F18s for politically-created reasons, because if dreamy Justin likes them, they must be alright.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2017, 18:51:36 »
I find Ken Hansen pops up a lot as a 'SME' for this stuff, do they have him on the payroll as convenient shill on call?  He's pretty off the mark for the most part; whenever I see him in a story confirming the half baked theories I immediate disregard the whole thing.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2017, 19:52:51 »
I find Ken Hansen pops up a lot as a 'SME' for this stuff, do they have him on the payroll as convenient shill on call?  He's pretty off the mark for the most part; whenever I see him in a story confirming the half baked theories I immediate disregard the whole thing.
They must.  As he has them convinced he's the crap.