Author Topic: 16 Jan 2017 - VCDS relieved of duty  (Read 36442 times)

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
16 Jan 2017 - VCDS relieved of duty
« on: January 16, 2017, 10:22:56 »
Mercedes Stephenson from CTV is reporting that VCDS Adm. Norman has been 'relieved of military duties' by the CDS, and that the head of the navy will fill in VCDS. Little further yet. Anyone got any word on this?

- mod edit to add year to thread title -
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:50:58 by milnews.ca »
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: 16 Jan - VCDS relieved of duty
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:23:28 »
I came to post this.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 10:43:18 »
Apparently, as reported, it was done with a letter.  That to me sounds very peculiar.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:44:45 »
Not at all. Letters are used to provide clarity and a traceable record.

The letter is on Twitter.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:54:43 »
I would expect a letter for sure.

This is not a US cop show with the Chief just walking in and saying "give me your badge and gun and go home".

What I find a little more bizarre is that the twitter confirmation that Mercedes Stephenson received does use the peculiar "relieved of  military duties". What other type of duties does the VCDS have? I just find it weird that there was a need to specify. instead of just saying "relieved of duty"

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:56:19 »

This is not a US cop show with the Chief just walking in and saying "give me your badge and gun and go home".

What I find a little more bizarre is that the twitter confirmation that Mercedes Stephenson received does use the peculiar "relieved of  military duties". What other type of duties does the VCDS have? I just find it weird that there was a need to specify. instead of just saying "relieved of duty"

yeah, the letter would have gone out on Friday...peculiar indeed.
Optio

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 11:00:42 »
I would think the proper process would include a face to face with his superiors.

The way this is done opens the door for all sorts of speculation.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 11:11:11 »
Yup- sudden punting versus request for resignation, etc etc... Speculation will be rampant on this, hopefully they can get something out this afternoon to clarify what's going on here. Unfortunately the nature of is easily leads one to worry the worst.

I checked the references on the letter that was published- no clues there, just the normal regulations on command authority, delegation of financial approvals, etc.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 11:13:13 »
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 11:14:07 »
Obviously there would be a face to face meeting. That's when he would be handed the letter, right after he has been informed.

The letter is what makes it official and remains recorded in the files of the CDS' office. There is a process for these things and a written notification is one of the requirements.

Personally, I hope they come out with some sort of explanation soon. Innocent until proven guilty is fine as legal concept and protects the individual, but the sudden removal from office of such a high ranking defence official has to be explained, even if only to specify the general category of allegations being investigated without specifics, so that the public may know if national security is at stake.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 11:14:32 »
Probably best to keep speculation out of any discussion really until more facts are known.  The media is sniffing everywhere to get a scoop on this.
Optio

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 11:25:34 »
I am not speculating in any ways. In fact, avoiding rumours and speculations is the very reason why such action as was taken here with regards to someone so high in the hierarchy must be explained to the public and cannot remain hidden in some sort of cloud hanging over the man's career.

The public deserves no less, and so does Mark.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 11:39:21 »
Oldgate,

This wasn't directed specifically at you.  More of a general comment in that regard.  The media lurks here at times and I suspect they smell blood in the water what with some of the media attention the CAF and DND has gotten in the last year or so.

Cheers.
Optio

Offline beachdown

• Rate Post
VCDS Relieved of Duty
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 11:55:05 »
*Admins...apologies, pls merge with other thread* Cheers

In an unexpected move, Vice-Admiral Mark Norman has been relieved of his duties as vice-chief of the defence staff – the second most powerful position in the Canadian Armed Forces.

The military is offering no explanation for this extreme measure which took place Monday morning.

Vice-Adm. Norman has served in the Forces for 36 years and was previously in charge of the Royal Canadian Navy.

Canada’s top soldier General John Vance, the chief of the defence staff, made the change in an order dated Friday that went out Monday.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/second-ranked-soldier-in-canadian-armed-forces-relieved-of-duty/article33632281/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:11:14 by beachdown »

Offline beachdown

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 11:56:38 »
You are getting Trump and the CDS mixed up  :rofl:

Not at all. Letters are used to provide clarity and a traceable record.

The letter is on Twitter.

Offline beachdown

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 12:01:24 »
Just a figure of speech. You are reading too much into it, and like someone else pointed out, what other duty does the VCDS have other than Military? Don't forget it's a news publication and the media is just being specific in case the average public didn't know is my guess, and could it just be a case of medical leave jusdging by the quote below?

So far the Department of National Defence has not provided any explanation for the move, which is apparently temporary and outlined in a brief letter dated Jan. 13.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:04:33 by beachdown »

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 12:21:27 »
Just a figure of speech. You are reading too much into it, and like someone else pointed out, what other duty does the VCDS have other than Military? Don't forget it's a news publication and the media is just being specific in case the average public didn't know is my guess, and could it just be a case of medical leave jusdging by the quote below?

That quote suggests nothing of the sort.
Optio

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 12:43:58 »
That quote suggests nothing of the sort.
Exactly.

Yet you posting "...they smell blood in the water what with some of the media attention the CAF and DND has gotten in the last year or so," makes oblique reference to the spate of recent media attention on sexual impropriety in the military. 

Just as there is NO indication that VAdm Norman is ill, there is EQUALLY NO suggestion of impropriety.

But that's the problem when people who haven't the vaguest clue of what's going on feel a need to post.    :facepalm:

Offline Bearpaw

• Rate Post
  • Politics is the womb from which war develops--Carl

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 12:57:18 »
Exactly.

Yet you posting "...they smell blood in the water what with some of the media attention the CAF and DND has gotten in the last year or so," makes oblique reference to the spate of recent media attention on sexual impropriety in the military. 

Just as there is NO indication that VAdm Norman is ill, there is EQUALLY NO suggestion of impropriety.

But that's the problem when people who haven't the vaguest clue of what's going on feel a need to post.    :facepalm:

No my post is exactly what it means.  The media is looking for anything to support whatever narrative they see fit to project.  It is an oblique reference to that fact not that any impropriety took place.  You can bet the media is sniffing it out under that context.  If anyone thinks otherwise then they're being naïve.  like it or not we are under the microscope and my point is that we shouldn't speculate on that,  given the current climate/situation.
Optio

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 13:18:06 »
Some more details.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/second-ranked-soldier-in-canadian-armed-forces-relieved-of-duty/article33632281/?2

Vice-Admiral Mark Norman was relieved of his duties as the Canadian military’s second-highest-ranking officer over alleged leaks of highly classified information, The Globe and Mail has learned.
Optio

Online jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 13:19:07 »
Very surprised at this news.  Looking forward to more clarity when it comes to light.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME Instr
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 13:22:04 »
Just a friendly reminder.....Until all the facts have come out please don't post rumors or hearsay about why the VCDS got relieved of command.

MILNET.CA MENTOR
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 13:39:22 »
Even the deplorable CBC is spinning it one way. Remind me why they are publicly funded?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/norman-military-relieved-1.3937401