Author Topic: Major Site Upgrade  (Read 94789 times)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Major Site Upgrade
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2017, 19:12:18 »
Finally got on with navy.ca.  It was offline for a bit there.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2017, 11:08:09 »
Everything should be back, for now. What really confuses me is that all the sites (Army.ca, Navy.ca, Air-Force.ca, Milnet.ca etc.) are just aliases. They run the same content off the same server, so it's not like one can goes down while the others are still up. Either the service as a whole is available or it's not, for all domains. Our server's inability to conform to reality is why it will be destroyed and rebuilt. Looking at late April for that. Apologies that it is so far out, but I am planning to merge in a network restructure and possibly platform upgrade at the same time, so it's a pretty big task.

Right now, only Army.ca has a secure version... in short it costs to get security certificates for each domain so there is only one for Army.ca at the moment. Plans are to address this come Sept.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 14:51:35 by Mike Bobbitt »

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2017, 12:04:15 »
Right now I can only get on with Navy.ca. Milnet.ca and Army.ca are not working for me, have not tried Air-Force.ca.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2017, 14:11:26 »
Right now I can only get on with Navy.ca. Milnet.ca and Army.ca are not working for me, have not tried Air-Force.ca.

Same.

I feel... Dirty. (Sorry Brad)
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2017, 15:32:42 »
Right now, army.ca is working, while navy.ca does not.  HTTPS connection.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 15:35:34 by dapaterson »
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2017, 16:28:16 »
Well that's a new one. Same over-arching problem though. In future, the general solution to the "white screen" is to try all of the following, until you get one that works:

The secure versions (https) will generate warnings/errors/be unusable for sites other than Army.ca. If you can accept/ignore these warnings it doubles your chances.

This is ridiculous advice frankly, and I will keep working on a solution, but I am convinced we simply need a clean slate.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 16:30:55 by Mike Bobbitt »

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2017, 16:39:05 »
Hmmm, progress. Please report when the issue happens again, and for which host(s). I have a tentative fix. :)

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2017, 16:45:30 »
I just tried every one of those links, and they all worked. So whatever weird *** yoga position you're doing while holding the antenna, Mike, you'll need to keep holding it. We'll bring you water at some point this evening.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2017, 17:10:08 »
I just tried every one of those links, and they all worked. So whatever weird *** yoga position you're doing while holding the antenna, Mike, you'll need to keep holding it. We'll bring you water at some point this evening.

Hey Hey....he's got lots of snow now.....let him melt some, but don't put down the antenna!!

:)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2017, 17:12:01 »
I'll even spring for a beer...

What's that?  Something for Mike, too?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2017, 19:09:48 »
Everything should be back, for now. What really confuses me is that all the sites (Army.ca, Navy.ca, Air-Force.ca, Milnet.ca etc.) are just aliases. They run the same content off the same server, so it's not like one can goes down while the others are still up. Either the service as a whole is available or it's not, for all domains. Our server's inability to conform to reality is why it will be destroyed and rebuilt. Looking at late April for that. Apologies that it is so far out, but I am planning to merge in a network restructure and possibly platform upgrade at the same time, so it's a pretty big task.

Right now, only Army.ca has a secure version... in short it costs to get security certificates for each domain so there is only one for Army.ca at the moment. Plans are to address this come Sept.

So?  Are we now talking about "quantum computing" and no longer binary?   [:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2017, 20:04:03 »
So?  Are we now talking about "quantum computing" and no longer binary?   [:D

We already are! I think it's the solid state spin qubits that are the problem!

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2017, 21:17:43 »
Don't feed them .......they will slow down......
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2017, 23:29:16 »

Brian,

My dad made me do that when I was a kid. I'd get it perfect until I let it go. I grew up holding the rabbit ears while looking over the top of the set and upside down at the screen. 😵
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2017, 00:09:13 »
My dad made me do that when I was a kid. I'd get it perfect until I let it go. I grew up holding the rabbit ears while looking over the top of the set and upside down at the screen. 😵

That explains a lot.  :cheers:

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2017, 00:13:41 »
Anyone else having problems with the html buttons and smilies not showing up? Also having issues with my avatar not showing up, and avatars of others seem to be randomly showing up.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2017, 00:51:06 »
That explains a lot.  :cheers:

You know me OS, I've always been upfront and open and readily admit I'm damaged goods. 😱

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The only solution for some people is <ignore>
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2017, 08:32:52 »
Anyone else having problems with the html buttons and smilies not showing up?
Buttons haven't shown up in a while, and the smilies were periodic (I just typed in the key strokes or the :WHATEVER: ). 

Also, my log-in password always takes at least two tries.

I figured they were/are minor irritants compared to the "site unavailable" or white screen, that Mike didn't need the extra issues to address.   :nod:
I even read works I disagree with;  life outside  an ideological echo chamber.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2017, 14:52:38 »
Hmmm, I haven't seen the missing icon/smilie or double login problem before.

For the buttons, do they show as broken images or just not at all? If they appear as broken images, you can right click and select "open image in new window" or something similar. From there can you copy the URL from the address bar and paste it here?

Thanks
Mike

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2017, 15:19:14 »
I was having issues with the "New" icon, but they have cleared up.  Fingers crossed, the goat you sacrificed seems to have done the trick.

Accessing army.ca through https. 

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The only solution for some people is <ignore>
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2017, 15:34:00 »
Hmmm, I haven't seen the missing icon/smilie or double login problem before.

This  time, just to be contrary, I logged in successfully on first try.  As for the buttons, one day they just disappeared (I'm not discounting that I ticked a wrong box somewhere).  The only thing I actually miss, is "Unread posts."  As it is, I just scroll through the forum looking for topics from "yesterday" or "today."

:dunno:   

No worries; you've got other things to worry about.  :cheers:
I even read works I disagree with;  life outside  an ideological echo chamber.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2017, 15:39:49 »
The only thing I actually miss, is "Unread posts."  As it is, I just scroll through the forum looking for topics from "yesterday" or "today."

Try: https://army.ca/forums/index.php?action=unread

Or go to https://army.ca and you'll see a short list of the most recent posts - and at the top of the page once you're reading a post, you can click on "Show unread posts since last visit."

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2017, 15:40:04 »
Sometimes the "shrink header" button gets clicked automatically and it hides stuff until you click it again to expand.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2017, 16:37:00 »
Or go to https://army.ca and you'll see a short list of the most recent posts - and at the top of the page once you're reading a post, you can click on "Show unread posts since last visit."

I just use:  https://army.ca/forums/index.php?action=recent

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2017, 17:40:47 »
Just observed the "white screen" problem and confirmed the fix. I even took a "snapshot" of the problem before clearing it. Now to figure out how to prevent it...