Author Topic: Desexualized clothing instructions fail for gender specific directions  (Read 22448 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
For instance, headdress: In the Navy, as an example, the ball cap and berets are already similar, why not the service cap too? If you look at cruise ships and merchant ships where officers wear caps, they use the same for men and women.

The USN is actually doing that right now; female Chiefs and Officers can wear the male peaked cap, and NCMs can wear the Dixie Cup hat.  Also, USN females will be wearing the male "square rig" uniforms and high-collar whites in the next few years.

https://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/10/09/sweeping-uniform-changes-emphasize-gender-neutrality/73602238/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 19:50:28 by Dimsum »
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
Do we have all that much female clothing left in the military?  In my day every but combats was different for women, even the colour of their "Greens" was lighter, their shirt collars rounded instead pointed, oxfords with a heel, etc.  I can only think of tunics, Navy bowler hats, skirts and dress shoes as being different now.  I see no issue in females wearing the forage cap, cops do.  Ban skirts and eliminate the oxford for both and go with low boot for all (including the officers).  This leave only tunics to be phased in with new female sizes.  No new gear just new dress regs.  Mess kit, wear what you buy!

The religious crap is a horse of another colour, I doubt you will ever re-secularize the military again in a multi tribe country like Canada. 
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
For instance, headdress: In the Navy, as an example, the ball cap and berets are already similar, why not the service cap too? If you look at cruise ships and merchant ships where officers wear caps, they use the same for men and women. This logic IMHO could apply to the Army and Air Force too - especially as they are moving to beret and/or wedge caps only.

IAW with the latest Naval Dress Committee minutes, females will now have the option of wearing either the Peaked Cap or the Bowler. Their initial issue will remain as the Bowler, however.

Men are still restricted to the Peaked Cap... unfortunately... ;D
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
I find it interesting that most of the female MARS Officers of a certain age that I know prefer the bowler cap.

The younger ones seem ambivalent.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
When the decision came out, I spoke to a few of them, and the consensus was not that they wanted to wear the Peaked Cap, but that they didn't want to wear the Bowler. Letting them wear the peaked cap didn't fix their original issue.
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
And what is their original issue? They don't want to wear a hat? (So they don't become bald like all old MARS officers  [:D?)

Online jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
When the decision came out, I spoke to a few of them, and the consensus was not that they wanted to wear the Peaked Cap, but that they didn't want to wear the Bowler. Letting them wear the peaked cap didn't fix their original issue.

Beat me to it OGBD.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
And what is their original issue? They don't want to wear a hat? (So they don't become bald like all old MARS officers  [:D?)

What is wrong with letting the women wear a beret?

Maybe everyone should wear a shapeless loose fitting moo moo like Homer Simpson.

cheap and easy to wear!

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Maybe everyone should wear a shapeless loose fitting moo moo like Homer Simpson judges and many lawyers.
FTFY with an already fixed precedent  >:D
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

The issue, as I (being a male, probably imperfectly) understand it is: female personnel in the RCN want a hat that fits properly and will stay on in most weather conditions, given the average female hair style (understanding that this varies wildly from mid back length hair to close cropped). Those who wear their hair in a bun, state that the forage cap will not fit properly over the bun.

To me, the solution is obvious: ships are inherently dangerous places. Everyone who serves on a ship should have short hair....<ducks>

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
To me, the solution is obvious: ships are inherently dangerous places. Everyone who serves on a ship should have short hair....<ducks>

Whenever I see an individual in the RCN uniform with a particularly full beard, my immediate thought is "Gee, it's been a long time since you went to sea..."
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
 :goodpost:
Whenever I see an individual in the RCN uniform with a particularly full beard, my immediate thought is "Gee, it's been a long time since you went to sea..."
:nod:

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was

You could probably add 'wanna be Pioneers' to that list ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
I suppose this has been said many times before, but the "why" we have dress regulations in the first place is to set us apart as a standardized and uniform military force, rather than a bunch of people in uniforms (I believe we have the guild of foresters of something like that to cover off the dress-up part).

To quash all the moaning and bitching, I would simply suggest that every person in the forces today be told to don their IPE and then be inspected to see if their (accoutrement/hairstyle/clothing) of choice interferes with the wearing and operational use of the kit. This includes CBRN protective gear, arctic gear and being able to use rifles, comms gear and other operational issue kit. Can't put on the helmet? Respirator doesn't seal? Looks like you, troop, better sort out what is interfering with the proper operational use of kit, or look for another line of work since *we* cannot afford self inflicted casualties.

Social Justice Warriors should be told to sod off, since this is operational necessity, and the ones who ***** and complain the most can always be invited to come and try on the kit in a gas hut, so they can understand what it is they are complaining about.

My $0.02
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
Social Justice Warriors should be told to sod off, since this is operational necessity, and the ones who ***** and complain the most can always be invited to come and try on the kit in a gas hut, so they can understand what it is they are complaining about.

My $0.02

So if the long haired freaky people pass the fit test, what then?
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
So if the long haired freaky people pass the fit test, what then?

They become signalers and we keep them in a dark room for their entire careers, of course :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
They become signalers and we keep them in a dark room for their entire careers, of course :)

Might as well, already a lot of weirdos in the trade.
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Like the observant Prince George, perhaps we should be listening a bit more to our kids:

Gender clothing completely shut down by an 8 year old.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Coffee_psych

• Rate Post
@George Wallace, I liked that video a lot, thank you :P

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Desexualized clothing instructions fail for gender specific directions
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2016, 09:15:41 »
I wish that the mom would have went to the Air Cadet Corp directly and voiced her concern over the directive instead of running to the media.

Military probe finds 'unacceptable language' in cadet dress-code pamphlets
http://www.680news.com/2016/12/19/military-probe-finds-unacceptable-language-in-cadet-dress-code-pamphlets-2/
The language came to light when a mother complained her 13-year-old daughter was given the brochure at the 510 Lions Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron in St. John’s.
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww