Author Topic: Desexualized clothing instructions fail for gender specific directions  (Read 22157 times)

Offline MARS

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
Re: Desexualized clothing instructions fail for gender specific directions
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 20:15:25 »
I wish that the mom would have went to the Air Cadet Corp directly and voiced her concern over the directive instead of running to the media.

Guess she wanted her 15 min of fame.

Because its 2016.  [:)

"Managers do things right; Leaders do the right thing"

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 20:27:47 »
It takes up less time and space than saying "airmen and airwomen" every time!   8)  They should just make the leap and call us air-people.

Sky soldier.  Adding Sky makes you guys sound cooler. We need to waste money so let's change it.

Sky soldier
Sky corporal
Master Sky corporal
Sky sergeant
Sky warrant
Master Sky warrant
Sky chief

Sky cadet
Sky ensign
Sky lieutenant
Sky captain
Sky major
Lieutenant Sky colonel
Sky colonel
Sky Brigadier
Sky Brigadier 2
Lieutenant Sky marshal
Sky marshal
Optio

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 20:36:23 »
Sky soldier.  Adding Sky makes you guys sound cooler. We need to waste money so let's change it.

Sky soldier
Sky corporal
Master Sky corporal
Sky sergeant
Sky warrant
Master Sky warrant
Sky chief

Sky cadet
Sky ensign
Sky lieutenant
Sky captain
Sky major
Lieutenant Sky colonel
Sky colonel
Sky Brigadier
Sky Brigadier 2
Lieutenant Sky marshal
Sky marshal
It's 2016... replace sky with aerospace at the least, so that we can have aerospace cadets for example

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2016, 20:40:28 »

Sky soldier
Sky corporal
Master Sky corporal
Sky sergeant
Sky warrant
Master Sky warrant
Sky chief

Sky cadet
Sky ensign
Sky lieutenant
Sky captain
Sky major
Lieutenant Sky colonel
Sky colonel
Sky Brigadier
Sky Brigadier 2
Lieutenant Sky marshal
Sky marshal

God DAMMIT !! take that down before someone sees it and talks about it on Monday morning at the Good Idea Fairy O Gp!!

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 20:41:39 »
It's 2016... replace sky with aerospace at the least, so that we can have aerospace cadets for example

And the rank could be abbreviated A. Space Cdt  8)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 23:29:13 »
Already done:

I bet his leather jacket is authorized for flying ops!   ;D

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 23:42:38 »
Earrings on men - not in uniform - ever.

Admiral Sir Henry Morgan of the Royal Navy disagrees; earrings are a strong part of the naval tradition, right up there with the executive curl and the rum ration.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
I sailed with a CO who authorized earrings on men for rounding the Cape of Good Hope.  He even got one himself, if I remember correctly.  The had to be removed before we got home.

Snr PA did the piercing and the men supplied their own earrings.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:20:37 by Halifax Tar »
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
I don't believe a CO has the authority to authorize earrings, despite the wording of Ch 1, Para 8 of 265....but, hey, Snr Officers can do whatever the hell they want, right?  Screw the 'lead by example' stuff.  "I will do what I want, but you must follow the orders".  Awesome.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
I don't believe a CO has the authority to authorize earrings, despite the wording of Ch 1, Para 8 of 265....but, hey, Snr Officers can do whatever the hell they want, right?  Screw the 'lead by example' stuff.  "I will do what I want, but you must follow the orders".  Awesome.

I think you missed the circumstances under which such permissions would be set.

Let me see now.  When you were green and you were in the Field and your issue kit sucked, did your CO authorize you to wear non-issue kit....American rain jacket perhaps?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
American rain jackets, though, aren't weren't strictly prohibited in 265...they were authorized 'beyond the range control gate' or something like that in G-town IIRC; so, authorized by the CO or Base Cmdr or whoever said we could wear them (back in the day) after crossing range control;  we also had to remove them, and jungle boots, etc before re-entering the garrison (I recall getting reamed out with my US rain jacket on outside the Crse WO bullpin in the School when RSM Brown walked by  :nod: and said "that$@&*@&#@ jacket comes off when you hit Range Control, Cpl !!!!!).

Every Dress Instruction I have seen, to date, males with earrings on duty/in uniform has been explicitly not authorized. 

So...not quite apples to apples?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:53:16 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
You are still missing the circumstances and context.

and all that goes with ship's/unit's moral.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Well...what to say to that.  I'm glad I ended up at a Sqn that doesn't sail?   ;D

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
There was a reason why sailors have worn ear-rings.

This bit below from a association of funeral directors website

British seamen had a gold earring placed in their left ear when they first rounded the horn. It was in the left ear as that was the shoreward side in the outbound crossing and thus pointed to land, port, or, hopefully, safe harbor. The earring had an additional significance. If they died at sea, the gold earring was supposed to provide recompense for a proper burial.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
You are still missing the circumstances and context.

You were saving that photo for JUST this moment, weren't you?
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was

Sky soldier
Sky corporal
Master Sky corporal
Sky sergeant
Sky warrant
Master Sky warrant
Sky chief

Sky cadet
Sky ensign
Sky lieutenant
Sky captain
Sky major
Lieutenant Sky colonel
Sky colonel
Sky Brigadier
Sky Brigadier 2
Lieutenant Sky marshal
Sky marshal

Meanwhile, in the world's biggest air force: http://www.stripes.com/news/airmen-gender-based-job-titles-not-high-on-radar-1.416831
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Meanwhile, in the world's biggest air force: http://www.stripes.com/news/airmen-gender-based-job-titles-not-high-on-radar-1.416831

The difference being that the "M" word is being changed in job titles (MOS, trade, classification, specialty, rating . . .) in the other services.  Their ranks and rates will remain as before as well as certain traditional terminology (e.g. "Every Marine is a Rifleman" - rifleman is not an occupation).  Airman is a rank, not a job title.  Seaman is a rate (i.e. rank), not a job title - it will stay.

Even if it was high on the USAF's radar to change AFSCs to reflect this policy, there are not many that would be affected.
http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/FactSheets/Display/tabid/224/Article/104609/enlisted-afsc-classifications.aspx
8C0XX Airmen/Family Readiness Center
8H0XX Airman Dorm Leader
9F0XX First Term Airmen Center
9T0XX Basic Enlisted Airman

Now, what I thought was stupid was changing the rank title of RCAF air element uniform wearing Privates to Aviator.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
There has to be a 'line in the sand' somewhere, no?   For me, yes.  If not, what next?  Makeup and skirts are okay for males too?  Heels?  Where IS the line?  Nowhere?  5 years from now, the nose rings, or lip studs, or ear grommets WILL be allowed if we don't stop this crap at some point.  Earrings are a fine place to stop in my books.
Canadian society has decided it is okay for men to wear earrings.  I suspect that if the issue made its way to a court marshal today, the military would have a hard time winning the argument that male soldiers cannot wear earrings in situations where women can.  Hell, we are in the age of "choose your own gender and washroom."  We either get ahead of the wave and define the gender-free professional looking dress standards, or eventually those standards will be externally defined for us without concern for what we may think looks professional.  So yes, it is skirts & blouses as an option for everybody or for nobody.  Either everybody can choose between peak cap and peak hat, or everybody is directed to wear the same.

Anyway, the general in charge of the cadet program and the CDS have now joined the MDN in providing public comment.
Defence minister slams cadet letter referring to breasts as 'developing bits'
CTV News
30 Sep 2016

A letter outlining the dress code for young people interested in joining a Newfoundland air cadets squadron is offensive and "completely unacceptable," Canada's defence minister said Friday after learning that the document referred to girls' breasts as "developing bits."

Harjit Sajjan issued the blunt statement after a parent complained about a leaflet handed out recently by the 510 Lions Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron in St. John's.

A photo of the document provided by the military shows it outlines what the squadron considers appropriate civilian dress for cadets and lists the Four Bs: "boobs, belly, bums, boxers," going on to say that girls should wear shirts that do not "reveal their developing bits."

"This kind of language and the attitudes it represents are completely unacceptable in the cadets, in the Canadian Armed Forces and in our society," Sajjan said. "This shaming of young women is offensive to me as a person, as a father, and as the Minister of National Defence. It is completely inappropriate."

The strongly worded condemnation comes after the mother of a 13-year-old girl revealed the letter and told the CBC she believed it sexualized young girls and imposed different standards on them than their male counterparts.

The document also spells out guidelines for acceptable hair, makeup and body piercings.

Canada's top soldier, Gen. Jonathan Vance, also criticized the leaflet and said he would try to make sure materials distributed by cadet organizations show more respect to members of the Canadian Armed Forces.

"While we expect all cadets to dress appropriately and professionally, this letter used language that is completely unacceptable and not in keeping with Operation Honour," he said in a statement.

"This document does not reflect the high standard expected of the program. To the members of the 510 Lions and their parents, please accept my personal apologies."

The squadron did not respond to a request for comment.

Brig.-Gen. Kelly Woiden, commander of the national cadet program, said he has ordered that the document be rescinded and that regional cadet support units determine if they have material that uses similarly offensive language.

Woiden said the guidebook sends a bad message to young girls interested in joining the cadet program, which has about 1,100 squadrons representing 53,000 cadets. He believes it was produced locally as a way to introduce people to the cadet program.

"It's a very sexualized response -- the four Bs is not a vocabulary that we utilize to describe any kind of dress and deportment," he said in an interview form Ottawa, adding that he was trying to contact the officer in charge of the 510 squadron.

"It's not a good message and I find I'm personally a little bit angry at its content."

The revelation comes at a time when the Canadian Forces are stepping up efforts to stamp out what retired justice Marie Deschamps described as an "underlying sexual culture" in the military. In her report in April 2015, she described an environment that was hostile to women and left victims of sexual assault and harassment to fend for themselves. In response, military leaders promised to take immediate action to root out unacceptable behaviour.

Randall Garrison, the NDP defence critic, said the leaflet shows that more work is needed to shift what he called the "sexualized nature" of the military culture.

"Training is offered to all leaders -- including leaders in the reserves -- to help kind of eliminate this kind of approach to problems in the military," he said. "So obviously, somebody either hasn't had the training yet or failed the training."
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/defence-minister-slams-cadet-letter-referring-to-breasts-as-developing-bits-1.3096718

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Canadian society has decided it is okay for men to wear earrings.  I suspect that if the issue made its way to a court marshal today, the military would have a hard time winning the argument that male soldiers cannot wear earrings in situations where women can.  Hell, we are in the age of "choose your own gender and washroom."  We either get ahead of the wave and define the gender-free professional looking dress standards, or eventually those standards will be externally defined for us without concern for what we may think looks professional.  So yes, it is skirts & blouses as an option for everybody or for nobody.  Either everybody can choose between peak cap and peak hat, or everybody is directed to wear the same.

Anyway, the general in charge of the cadet program and the CDS have now joined the MDN in providing public comment. http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/defence-minister-slams-cadet-letter-referring-to-breasts-as-developing-bits-1.3096718

Bingo! You're quite right ... we you do it, the right way, or it will be done to you, most likely the wrong way.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Harris

is in to a warm place.

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
It takes up less time and space than saying "airmen and airwomen" every time!   8)  They should just make the leap and call us air-people.

How about "Village People"  [:)
Cheers

Todd
Army.ca

"...persons escaping a lethal dose of radiation may well be rendered seriously ill and or be more prone to various forms of cancer in later years. Hence, their morale and performance may be expected to slump."
Crap, I think I got a lethal dose!!!

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Quote from: MCG

I think you're bang on the money with your observations MCG. Conservative as we may be the CAF is a reflection of Canadian society (even if it can be said we lag somewhat behind). Society today is moving towards someone picking their gender, picking their sex, picking their pronouns (just read a hillarious story about a university student changing his to your majesty) and whatever identity.   Someone who is physically male can use a female shower if they identify as female. They can dress in women's clothing. Drawing a line in the sand saying a man can't have an earing honestly seems like a losing battle. And we all know someone out there will try and push the limits. A male wearing a DEU skirt with a hajab over his turban with a long pony tail sticking out, why not if he identifies as all those?

If the CAF doesn't try and do some damage control and find a happier middle ground we're just going to be told what our dress standards by someone outside the military.

Lets start a revolution. One uniform, one rank system >:D
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

Lets start a revolution. One uniform, one rank system >:D

Sure, the Naval one! >:D

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Sure, the Naval one! >:D
I'd sooner recommend something grey.  It is a neutral colour, so there would be less whining about whose identity is being most stepped upon by the others.  But ... this is getting a little off topic and there is a whole thread for discussing the aesthetic aspects of unification, de-unification, reunification, and other such tinkering.