Author Topic: Political Correctness  (Read 11715 times)

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Political Correctness
« on: August 30, 2016, 14:29:10 »
New - Headdress controversy points to bigger problems, First Nations educator says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-school-headdress-lajoie-1.3741254

"I'm slightly concerned that people who don't understand how this is offensive are then going to teach children about Indigenous people."

I'm one of these "people". I just don't understand how this is offensive. If my kids were learning about Germany in school, and the teacher decided to wear Lederhosen, would that be offensive? If they were learning about Japanese culture, would a Kimono be offensive? What about a sari? Or Highland dress?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm legitimately ignorant; I just don't see how this was offensive.

Care to shed some light, Lightguns?
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
Re: Political Correctness
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 14:32:39 »
Concur, the progressive bandwagon is sounding Taps again.  But this story, the alarmed individuals who started it are an example of why our society is degrading.  The PC folks got their names in the news and are going to get their pound of flesh as well. 
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 14:41:52 »
Concur, the progressive bandwagon is sounding Taps again.  But this story, the alarmed individuals who started it are an example of why our society is degrading.  The PC folks got their names in the news and are going to get their pound of flesh as well.

Judging purely on the article and its pictures, maybe the concern is the eagle feathers?  This is going back a while, but I thought those were awarded for bravery/courage?  So yes, it's a part of headdress, but would it not be almost like a less-extreme form of Stolen Valour?
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 14:44:57 »
Some context I guess:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/behind-first-nations-headdresses-1.3506224

So it seems, headdress is earned or gifted.

People are upset the way we get upset when people who haven't earned medals or the right to wear our uniform do that.  I look at it from that context.

Offensive?  maybe to some, certainly inappropriate.   
Optio

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 15:45:11 »
The headdress in question is not even a part of Eastern woodland Native culture.  It's a device of plains natives.  It's like Scots complaining about the English playing Scottish bagpipes.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 15:54:05 »
The headdress in question is not even a part of Eastern woodland Native culture.  It's a device of plains natives.  It's like Scots complaining about the English playing Scottish bagpipes.
It could also be like a Canadian complaining about another Canadian wearing a foreign, but un-earned, medal on a uniform -- where the medal comes from doesn't matter as much as the "unearned honour" element.
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 15:56:06 »
Agree, but if the kids wore paper VCs on Remembrance Day, would you melt down? 

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 16:02:37 »

Considering that it was likely bought at the dollar store, it does have some semblance to certain Eastern headdress.  Mikmac, Ojibwa and some Algonquin. and even if it isn't then maybe the teacher should educate herself a bit more if she's going to teach something.

Still innapropriate. 
Optio

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 16:28:51 »
There's no shortage of items a person might wear that have some sort of cultural significance to some group, and no list of the subset of those items which should not be worn.

Do real cowpokes have a point if they demand all non-cowpokes cease wearing western garb meant to convey the image of a cowpoke?

Should a reasonable person assume faux-lumberjack is insulting to people who do work in the wilds?

Is any use of a cross or fish, or humorous modification of either, taboo to all non-Christians?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Omnia praesidia vestra capta sunt nobis.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

"But injustice is a rule of the service, as you know very well; and since you have to have a good deal of undeserved abuse, you might just as well have it from your friends."  - The Ionian Mission, by Patrick O'Brian.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 16:38:27 »
As long as the Teacher isn't trying to pass themself off as "xxx" and is just wearing a costume or piece thereof from "xxx" for educational purposes and is being respectful,  it's no different than a re-enactor or actor playing a role in costume.  Special interest groups and folks need to be less thin skinned, not everyone is out to get them culturally.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 16:40:49 »
Agree, but if the kids wore paper VCs on Remembrance Day, would you melt down? 
Good point.  Me?  Not so much.  Others' mileage may vary, though.
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 16:47:40 »
,  it's no different than a re-enactor or actor playing a role in costume. 

Like finding out Iron Eyes Cody wasn't * , or that James Caan aka Sonny C. isn't actually Italian?

* Native American name controversy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_name_controversy#.22Indian.22_and_.22American_Indian.22_.28since_1492.29

Do real cowpokes have a point if they demand all non-cowpokes cease wearing western garb meant to convey the image of a cowpoke?

"This wasn't in the brochure!"

"City folk!"  :)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 00:08:42 by mariomike »

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 16:49:47 »
Good point.  Me?  Not so much.  Others' mileage may vary, though.
Concur, thus the outrage.  First Nations have a numbers of issues to conquer but paper cut outs ain't one of them.  Now I am off to mount a scope on an inline, 60 days to deer season.

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 18:39:57 »
As long as the Teacher isn't trying to pass themself off as "xxx" and is just wearing a costume or piece thereof from "xxx" for educational purposes and is being respectful,  it's no different than a re-enactor or actor playing a role in costume.  Special interest groups and folks need to be less thin skinned, not everyone is out to get them culturally.

I think part of the problem that some may have is that not all native cultures wear the same garments. So a, presumably white, person wearing the wrong native garb would be akin to a native teaching a class on German culture wearing a kilt and being like, "who cares? You're all the same" We tend to group all natives together in spite of cultural and linguistic differences.

On the flip side, if the teacher's heart was in the right place than it really shouldn't be a huge deal. could be used as more of a teaching experience than a cultural appropriate one.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 20:03:27 by Bird_Gunner45 »

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 19:08:01 »
Concur, thus the outrage.  First Nations have a numbers of issues to conquer but paper cut outs ain't one of them.  Now I am off to mount a scope on an inline, 60 days to deer season.

Agreed.  I would suggest that proper education for Canadians about Aboriginal history, culture etc. is one of those issue to conquer though.
Optio

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 19:41:15 »
First Nations aren't exactly promoting themselves very well in the social spotlight. Shouldn't they appreciate these kids are being introduced to something interesting fun and cultural (even if it's not 100% accurate) rather than what they'll probably pick up on in the news about whats going on in reservations?

I'm pretty sure I've seen plastic toy police badges and military medals.  The in thing is to go around being offended and outraged, we must be getting close to remembrance day.

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • 546 days from 0 to being King of the Castle
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 20:16:49 »
It would appear she is a bit of a rabble rouser.......

".....It’s not the first time Dorner has complained about activities at the school....."

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/inappropriate-indigenous-costumes-worn-by-teachers-at-montreal-area-school-raise-parents-ire

Cheers
Larry
Proud sponsor of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project. http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 13:19:14 »
Angus Ried just published some interesting findings on Canadian thoughts toward political correctness, including some contrasts that set Canadian's apart from our US neighbours.

Majority of Canadians say political correctness has “gone too far” ... but we self-censor anyway.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 21:36:30 »
The ENTIRE point of Political Correctness is to promote self censorship and to take various ideas off the table of discussion in the public forum. This is far softer and gentler than using Newspeak and a ruthless Thought Police as described in 1984, but equally pernicious and sadly quite effective.

Want to stop a discussion on a topic? Call the speaker "racist" or accuse them of "xxxphobia". Unless they are totally fearless, have massive internal resources to survive political, social and even economic attack on their person or are card carrying members of the "alt-right" (who's watchwords are "bring it" and brush off accusations of racism and xxxpjobia with "I don't care" and continue speaking), most polite and normal people will stop for fear of being thought of as racist/phobic etc. or the fear of facing reprisals socially and at work.

Sad to say that it takes a man like Donald Trump to smash the walls of Political Correctness or some of the foaming mouthed members of the Alt Right to carry the banner of free speech, but it also shows how deeply entrenched the idea has become, and how much "firepower" it will need to overthrow the idea of PC censorship of speech, thought and ideas in our culture and society.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 21:58:16 »
Seriously?  This is really BS.  Political Correctness will mean the death of us yet.  The Ontario Liberals are proving themselves to be wack jobs out destroy the province.  Don't take this as being Islamophobic, but more a question of wtf are they thinking and what consideration have they given to other religions, ethnic minorities, etc. and where will it all stop?

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

October declared Islamic Heritage Month in Ontario

The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:44PM EDT

TORONTO -- October will now officially be recognized as Islamic Heritage Month in Ontario after the legislature unanimously passed an act Thursday.

It began as an NDP private members' bill, and party leader Andrea Horwath says it's an opportunity to celebrate and learn about the history of Islamic culture.

Horwath says she also hopes it's also a step toward eliminating Islamophobia, noting that in her city of Hamilton, a fire was set at a mosque recently.

Canadian Islamic History Month has been officially recognized federally since 2007.
Fareen Khan, with the International Development and Relief Organization, joined Horwath at the legislature and says it's important to profile and highlight the positive contributions of Muslims.

The news comes as Mirza Masroor Ahmad, the current and fifth caliph and leader of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, is slated to be in Toronto on Friday for a three-day Islamic convention.

He'll deliver a sermon to thousands of attendees representing more than 20 countries, and to Muslims worldwide via the global satellite TV network Muslim Television Ahmadiyya.

More on LINK.

There are only twelve (12) months in a year.  There are far more than twelve (12) religions practiced in Canada.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 22:11:42 »
Seriously?  This is really BS.  Political Correctness will mean the death of us yet.  The Ontario Liberals are proving themselves to be wack jobs out destroy the province.  Don't take this as being Islamophobic, but more a question of wtf are they thinking and what consideration have they given to other religions, ethnic minorities, etc. and where will it all stop?

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

More on LINK.

There are only twelve (12) months in a year.  There are far more than twelve (12) religions practiced in Canada.

Ya know George, I kind of have to agree with you. Treat all religions equally should be what is done, I see the good in this but I also recognize the stupidity in it as well.

I am an advocate for a fair and balanced representation of all religions, but you are right. More then 12 religions exist in Canada, so what makes Islam so special? What about Judaism and the issues around Israel?  Sikhs and the religious cleansing they faced in India? Etc etc etc

This is a good thing, I think, in the long run... but we must give equal treatment to all other religious groups in Canada too... pandering to much to any one group, is a sure way to shoot yourself in the foot. Canada has no extreme or rampant Islamophobia issues. Issues do exist, yes, but the general population of Canada is not bigoted or hateful? Whatever the right word is. But issues do exist sadly, but that is always the case a miniscule percent of the population always hates for no reason.

Anyways I think I am more with you on this issue, then against you. But I suspect this is somehow helping with votes. I cant trust politicians lol

Abdullah
Recruting Center: Vancouver
Component: Reg Force
Trade Choice 1: MSEOP
Application Date: 09/22/2016
First Contact: 09/28/2016
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA
Position Offered: TBA
Basic Training Begins: TBA
Trade *Correction trade is open, back to getting fit :)*

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 22:27:44 »
. But I suspect this is somehow helping with votes. I cant trust politicians lol

Abdullah

I think when it comes down to it, that is what it is all about; "Vote Buying".

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 23:28:43 »

Ummm....publicly funded Catholic schools?  Does that ring a bell?
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 23:40:16 »
Ummm....publicly funded Catholic schools?  Does that ring a bell?

I know that the government in part subsidizes almost all schools in the 1-12 range. The private Islamic/Christian/Sikh schools I know of all recieve similar funding, in this day an age.

The mistakes or actions of yesteryear I am personally not counting.
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 00:33:25 »
I know that the government in part subsidizes almost all schools in the 1-12 range. The private Islamic/Christian/Sikh schools I know of all recieve similar funding, in this day an age.

The mistakes or actions of yesteryear I am personally not counting.

I am personally not aware of religious schools outside of Catholic schools which receive public funding here in Ontario, and know for certain (having educated my children in private schools for as long as I could afford to) that Montessori and other schools do not receive any government funding whatsoever. Catholic schools receive public funding as a historical artifact, not through any decision or choice of this government at any rate.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 00:43:14 »
I am personally not aware of religious schools outside of Catholic schools which receive public funding here in Ontario, and know for certain (having educated my children in private schools for as long as I could afford to) that Montessori and other schools do not receive any government funding whatsoever. Catholic schools receive public funding as a historical artifact, not through any decision or choice of this government at any rate.

Okay it looks like it is up to the provinces to decide, if and how they fund private schools... at least from my extremely quick googling. Good to know none the less, this I would think should be standardized. Thanks for making me aware.

https://www.google.ca/search?client=ms-android-bell-ca&ei=Uib3V8njOIykjwPq0ogI&q=private+school+funding+in+canada&oq=private+school+funding+in+&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.2.0i20k1j0l4.4812.10951.0.12787.10.9.1.1.1.0.376.2601.2-3j5.8.0....0...1c.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..2.7.1749...0i7i30k1j0i8i7i30k1j35i39k1j0i8i30k1.b3dkyTGL2NM
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 08:48:03 »
I think this falls in here, and it legitimately has me scared how close we are coming to a 1984 style of government.

As far as I see it 'Hate Speech' and 'Hate Crimes' are ways to control society and peoples thoughts and opinions. To me both those laws should be struck down, one for being double jeopardy (Hate Crimes are already crimes in the sense that a hate crime is assault on someone you hate, guess what we already have laws for that, called assault, etc.). The other for being a limitation on our Freedom of Speech and Opinion (main reason is what qualifies as hate speech? What we consider wrong today, could have expanded to include many more ideas and concepts in the future, such as what is being proposed in bill C-16, it is a slippery slope that ends up with a authoritarian style of government or with people afraid to express there thoughts and opinions).

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/u-of-t-professor-attacks-political-correctness-in-video-refuses-to-use-genderless-pronouns

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.3786140/i-m-not-a-bigot-meet-the-u-of-t-prof-who-refuses-to-use-genderless-pronouns-1.3786144

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 09:19:46 »
Before we all get too hot under the collar on this, just remember how much the majority of us simply ignore or gloss over such other occurrences of similar 'events' such as "Black History Month",  "Aboriginal Week", etc.  [Edit to add a point that has been pointed out to me: One such 'event' is that May is Jewish Heritage Month in Ontario]

As I said in my original post; there are only twelve months in a year.  There are far more than twelve religions celebrated in Canada, more than twelve ethnic groups, and way more than twelve of any other group or ideal to pick one for each month and not alienate someone else.

It is a Political Party having a "Feel Good Moment" (or) trying to apologize for a perceived past sin to garner votes.  In this case, the Ontario NDP and Liberal Parties.

I do find it interesting that with the rise of Antisemitism among small groups of ignorant Millennials and university students, that no mention is being made at any level of Government.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 09:34:10 by George Wallace »

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 10:07:38 »
Regarding, "October declared Islamic Heritage Month in Ontario".

Perhaps it's the provincial government's way of saying, "We are sorry. Please forgive us, and don't forget to vote for us." ?

Muslim community taking the lead in latest round of Ontario sex-education protests
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/muslim-community-taking-the-lead-in-latest-round-of-ontario-sex-education-protests
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:11:10 by mariomike »

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 10:10:06 »
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the general public simply ignore these "special" months and treat them as window dressing?

I could not tell you when black history month is, nor could I have told you that May was Jewish heritage month. That does not make me a racist or a bigot. It simply means that I don't care that the powers that be have decided to dedicate a month to you. I can't wait for the day that whites become the minority and a white history month is enacted, that would really bring things full circle and just complete (what I view as) this ridiculousness.

To me this is special snowflake creating at it's finest.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 10:10:14 »
Bit of a difference here, George.

AFAIK, "Black History Month", "Aboriginal Week", and the likes are movements that start in the actual communities they represent and grow over time into an accepted and recognized celebration of these communities. They do not rely on legislation for their existence, even though they may eventually get recognition through a formal motion adopted by the appropriate legislative assembly.

Here we are talking about a politician driven initiative - not a community one - not called for and sort of imposing this "month" on a religion that hasn't asked for it. At least, unless somebody tells me otherwise, I have not been aware, so far, in Canada of any movement by the Muslim communities for a special month of recognition or "cultural" activity.

Also, this declaration, to me, smacks of anti-semitism: There is no way in ... well, hell ... that these legislators can ignore (or ought to ignore if they decide to play on the religious field of play) that October is the month that encompasses most (and the more important ones) Jewish high-holidays.   

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 10:15:17 »
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the general public simply ignore these "special" months and treat them as window dressing?

Like the tempest the other day over Guest Flags. Maybe it was a slow news day? But, does anyone really notice?
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=b3097aac783a1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD&vgnextchannel=7bbdb3066f9e1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2016, 10:23:09 »
Wow! Look at all the ceremonies associated with the raising of these flags.

I bet there is half a dozen city workers, if not  more, whose sole job is to plan for and execute these "ceremonial rising of the flags". Thank the gods they don't ask the CF for a ceremonial guard for each one of them.  ;D

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 10:25:15 »
Like the tempest the other day over Guest Flags. Maybe it was a slow news day? But, does anyone really notice?
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=b3097aac783a1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD&vgnextchannel=7bbdb3066f9e1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

I definitely wouldn't have known about the Vancouver flag raising thing if it wasn't posted here. It was interesting to learn that there is a flag pole dedicated for these guest flags and the frequency that it is used. I still view it as window dressing and another expense to tax payers that is not necessary.

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 10:28:32 »
Bit of a difference here, George.

Not really.  All of these have to start somewhere, and I highly doubt that all started anywhere else than in some community.  Eventually a politician will pick up with their cause and promote it.  I am sure that politicians at all levels of government have better things to do than sit around dreaming up some sort of 'holiday' or 'celebratory event'.  Those ideas have to be brought to them by the concerned parties.  To garner the favour of their electorate, the politician will run with it.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 10:32:37 »
I bet there is half a dozen city workers, if not  more, whose sole job is to plan for and execute these "ceremonial rising of the flags". Thank the gods they don't ask the CF for a ceremonial guard for each one of them. 

No need to bother the CAF, we have our own municipal Ceremonial / Honour Guard units!  :)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:57:58 by mariomike »

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 22:22:43 »
For the win!

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2016, 10:49:37 »
And now for a few words from Rex Murphy:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/800650819875

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2016, 22:48:19 »
How do we recognize Political correctness and fight against its corrosive effects?

From the comments of one blog we get this:

Try "The Progressive Virus" or "A Look Inside The Playbook" by Dr. Anthony Napoleon. "A Look Inside The Playbook" lists "Marxist Operations Manual" right on the cover. It's under 120 pages and covers about 20 techniques Marxists use to alter our culture.

and [color=black0SJW's always lie[/color] by Vox Day

Knowing and recognizing the tools they use is the first step in fighting back against Political Correctness.

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 11:00:56 »
We're teaching university students lies. An interview with Dr Jordan Anderson (U of T).

http://www.c2cjournal.ca/2016/12/were-teaching-university-students-lies-an-interview-with-dr-jordan-peterson/

If you only read one article in full this month, I urge you all to read this one. In it, Dr. Anderson convincing argues the dangers facing Canadian society from both Bill C-16 and the totalitarian tendencies imbedded within Canadian Universities.

Offline Ajacied34

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2017, 01:49:50 »
SeaKing Tacco is not lying,

The majority of these political science, anthropology/sociology/psychology arts streams are very pro cultural marxism/left-wing/political correctness

Thankfully I chose the economics stream where this kind of stuff is irrelevant but this whole political correctness bit has gone too far to the point where you just feel bad for these kids.

Case and point, I was browsing my Facebook this afternoon and stumbled upon someone who was 'outraged' and by the sounds of it emotionally shaken because he came across a faded 'heil hitler' scribble in the university bathroom while he was defecating and pointed out that because of this Nazism and white nationalism is alive and rampant at our university...

He didn't even scribble over top of it. :rofl:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 08:15:49 »
I try not to worry.  There is a whole "real world" waiting for these human My Little Ponies once they are done their studies.  And it is full of violence, intolerance and people willing to punch someone in the face for "reason X".  They'll either buck up or they'll spend their life like this.

Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 14:37:35 »
Not sure if this would fall under the political correctness section but I'm not sure I like this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/citizenship-oath-indigenous-treaties-1.3963508

Optio

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 14:46:53 »
I try not to worry.  There is a whole "real world" waiting for these human My Little Ponies once they are done their studies.  And it is full of violence, intolerance and people willing to punch someone in the face for "reason X".  They'll either buck up or they'll spend their life like this.

My generation was raised with Bugs Bunny and Road Runner versus Yosemite Sam and Wile E. Coyote. The more recent ones were raised on Barney the Dinosaur and Dora the Explorer.

I'll take Bugs bunny and Road Runner any time! (And, no - none of us were stupid enough to think you could jump off a cliff or use a small umbrella to protect yourself from a falling anvil and live to tell the tale).

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 16:15:43 »
Not sure if this would fall under the political correctness section but I'm not sure I like this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/citizenship-oath-indigenous-treaties-1.3963508

I know I don't.

I'm curious why they feel the need to bring attention to one aspect of the laws of Canada?

The Oath already includes obeying Canada's laws, which the treaties (that are still to be observed) are a part of.

This whole bending over backwards for the Indigenous is ridiculous. They are now Canadians like it or not and should not receive special benefits over another Canadian Citizen.

History is written by the victors. - Winston Churchill

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2017, 16:44:00 »
My generation was raised with Bugs Bunny and Road Runner versus Yosemite Sam and Wile E. Coyote. The more recent ones were raised on Barney the Dinosaur and Dora the Explorer.

I'll take Bugs bunny and Road Runner any time! (And, no - none of us were stupid enough to think you could jump off a cliff or use a small umbrella to protect yourself from a falling anvil and live to tell the tale).

Are you suggesting that 'todays generation' are weaker, mentally and physically, than generations before them?  I DON'T BELIEVE IT.   ;D

:facepalm:  We're ****ed in the near future...I swear.   :facepalm:
Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline Ajacied34

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2017, 16:55:47 »
Are you suggesting that 'todays generation' are weaker, mentally and physically, than generations before them?  I DON'T BELIEVE IT.   ;D

:facepalm:  We're ****ed in the near future...I swear.   :facepalm:

Just wait until we get into positions of power, its only a matter of time before the mess is replaced with a safespace. :rofl:

:facepalm:

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2017, 16:57:05 »
>Not sure if this would fall under the political correctness section but I'm not sure I like this.

It's awesome.  More recent immigrants are required to explicitly acknowledge that their citizenship is "second tier" - that they will have a duty to pay rents indefinitely - compared to a group of earlier immigrants.

"But injustice is a rule of the service, as you know very well; and since you have to have a good deal of undeserved abuse, you might just as well have it from your friends."  - The Ionian Mission, by Patrick O'Brian.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2017, 20:32:46 »
Winning the popular vote since 2016.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2017, 21:02:19 »
So, that's what happens when you fall into a barrel of dicks.    :nod:

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 17:15:19 »
The CBC's passion for political correctness will land them where the American news media is soon enough (80% or more Americans no longer trust the Legacy media for accurate information: the "Fake News" meme rebounded and struck down CNN, the NYT and the rest of the establishment media):

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 17:35:01 »
The CBC's passion for political correctness will land them where the American news media is soon enough (80% or more Americans no longer trust the Legacy media for accurate information: the "Fake News" meme rebounded and struck down CNN, the NYT and the rest of the establishment media):
And are you saying The Rebel et. al. share ALL the facts?  Or only those their audience want to hear?

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 18:27:19 »
What Ezra wants to do with his money is up to him, and if you don't like his work, then simply don't click. CBC on the other hand, is in our pockets for a billion/year, and we pay for the other legacy TV news through bundled cable subscriptions. Being forced to pay for the privilege of listening to lies is changing people's attitudes (as Europeans and Americans have discovered over the last few years).
+60

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2017, 22:12:41 »

Passion for political correctness?

Like advertising jobs but stipulating 'no Caucasians need apply'. Or Shaun Majumder’s Beige Power rap?
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2017, 06:59:48 »
What Ezra wants to do with his money is up to him, and if you don't like his work, then simply don't click.

CBC on the other hand, is in our pockets for a billion/year, and we pay for the other legacy TV news through bundled cable subscriptions. Being forced to pay for the privilege of listening to lies is changing people's attitudes (as Europeans and Americans have discovered over the last few years).
On the tax $ going to CBC, we're stuck with it -- a Conservative majority didn't defund it, so I guess it's here to stay.  As for its content ...
... if you don't like (the) work, then simply don't click (watch/listen) ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2017, 07:58:29 »
80% or more Americans no longer trust the Legacy media for accurate information
Source?
I even read works I disagree with;  life outside  an ideological echo chamber.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2017, 09:04:42 »
I read this,

"...in 2016, only 20 percent of Americans said they trust newspapers. Trust in television news has charted much the same course, and it fares only slightly better in 2016, with 21 percent trust."
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-dont-trust-their-institutions-anymore/

A far cry from A. M. Rosenthal's 56 years at the New York Times.
His epitaph inscribed on his grave marker, "He kept the paper straight," was chosen to memorialize his efforts at the NYT to deliver unbiased news.

He used to tell his reporters, "You can [make love to] an elephant if you want to, but if you do you can't cover the circus."  :)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:40:06 by mariomike »

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2017, 09:51:34 »
One of the reasons I like Insrtapundit (besides sharing Glenn Reynold's political orientation) is news items get dissected and covered by multiple sources.

I can see items from American Legacy media, Blogs, the Jerusalem Post, National Post, Der Speigal, the Guardian and a host of magazines from all over the world in a "one stop shop".

Of course the commentary is generally libertarian/conservative/right/alt-right in tone, but the occasional Progressive troll comments, and I haven't seen Instapundit ban people for taking the opposite track in comments (although I may have missed it as well)

I'm thinking this may actually be the model for well informed information consumers to follow, maybe with Instapundit like blogs covering specific global regions, industries or cultural endeavours so people with specific interests can get a more holistic view. Army.ca actually is a good model for a military themed blog in terms of being quite broad ranging and covering things from multiple angles.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2017, 11:24:25 »
>... if you don't like (the) work, then simply don't click (watch/listen) ...

That shouldn't apply to the CBC, except to the extent that the fraction of its content people don't care for should be approximately equal across the political spectrum.  As a child (1970's) I heard and read nicknames of the CBC - "Pravda Canada", "Communist Broadcasting Corporation".  Whatever is tolerated that allows such perceptions to develop is wrong; the CBC should not be that partisan.  If the CBC doesn't have roughly equal levels of support among people affiliated with teams Red, Blue, and Orange, it should be privatized.

It might simply mean the CBC's main organs just need to turn off all of the political opinion spouts and stick to straight investigative journalism.  No more outrage over what Harper, or Trump, or anyone else said.  Just report what they said.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2017, 12:37:30 »
In a nutshell Brad, that's what it's always been about with the CBC. No state television can rise above party politics, which is normally those governments that offer them lots of money and bonuses. One only needs to look at how many regular individuals, at CBC, that are wearing the Order of Canada or how many have been seconded right to government jobs when they leave the CBC.

It is impossible for them to report just the facts. They put the government political spin on it for the people that pay them. It's not the individual stories or facts that matter. It is the social conditioning and lack of interpretation, other than the party line. In the case of CBC, their masters are Laurentien Elites. It's more about how the government will solve a problem, the PMs feelings, the thespian outrage instead of the individual that brought the problem into the public eye. Unless the perp is integral to the agenda, IE: race, religion, political persuasion etc. These days, if it plays to sensationalism and allows the government to forward their agenda, it's used. If a caucasian went into a synagogue and killed a number of people with a .22 Cooey. The shooter will be branded as an alt-right, anti-semite that legally obtained that .22. Within days the government will be crowing about the availability of those firearms. The medium changes. It's no longer about the shooting, but the governments plan to curtail sale of .22 cal rifles. And the CBC will dutifully say whatever the PMO says. It has nothing to do with the fact that the shooter was mentally unbalanced, off his meds and would have picked a shopping mall if he'd seen that first. And like Polytechnique, they will drag it out over next 100 years to further their agenda. You'll hear the mosque shooting in Parliament every time the Liberals want to talk about tolerance towards muslims. It's not muslims we are against. We are against the barbaric culture that islam perpetrates, not the people. But that's not the message the government wants you to concentrate on, so they spin it as a racism problem. If they were called upon to defend the culture, they would be thrown out of power. Much easier to let the religion aspects stay off the table and talk about the, supposed, human plight.

"The medium is the message" - Marshall McLuhan

edit: spelling.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 15:48:05 by recceguy »
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline Jed

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2017, 12:53:26 »
In a nutshell Brad, that's what it's always been about with the CBC. No state television can rise above party politics, which is normally those governments that offer them lots of money and bonuses. One only needs to look at how many regular individuals, at CBC, that are wearing the Order of Canada or how many have been seconded right to government jobs when they leave the CBC.

It is impossible for them to report just the facts. They put the government political spin on it for the people that pay them. It's not the individual stories or facts that matter. It is the social conditioning and lack of interpretation, other than the party line. In the case of CBC, their masters are Laurentien Elites. It's more about how the government will solve a problem, the PMs feelings, the thespian outrage instead of the individual that brought the problem into the public eye. Unless the perp is integral to the agenda, IE: race, religion, political persuasion etc. These days, if it plays to sensationalism and allows the government to forward their agenda, it's used. If a caucasian went into a synagogue and killed a number of people with a .22 Cooey. The shooter will be branded as an alt-right, anti-semite that legally obtained that .22. Within days the government will be crowing about the availability of those firearms. The medium changes. It's no longer about the shooting, but the governments plan to curtail sale of .22 cal rifles. And the CBC will dutifully say whatever the PMO says. It has nothing to do with the fact that the shooter was mentally unbalanced, off his meds and would have picked a shopping mall if he'd seen that first. And like Polytechnique, they will drag it out over next 100 years to further their agenda. You'll hear the mosque shooting in Parliament every time the Liberals want to talk about tolerance towards muslims. It's not muslims we are against. We are against the barbaric culture that islam perpetrates, not the people. But that's not the message the government wants you to concentrate on, so they spin it as a racism problem. If they were called upon to defend the culture, they would be thrown out of power. Much easier to let the religion aspects stay off the table and talk about the, supposed, human plight.

"The medium is the message" - Marshall McLuhan

edit: spelling.

Man, I could not expressed my point of view better than if I would have written it myself.
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2017, 22:12:51 »
How to fight Political Correctness. We need to see more of this by our own politicians and others, to shatter the illusion (or Narrative) and get some actual debate on serious subjects (like here!)

https://spectator.org/trump-is-beating-the-media-at-its-own-game/

The left’s own politics by shorthand is now being turned against it.

Once asked by an aide to respond to a letter to the editor from one of his critics, Vladimir Lenin refused, saying: “Why should we bother to reply to Kautsky? He would reply to us, and we would have to reply to his reply. There’s no end to that. It will be quite enough for us to announce that Kautsky is a traitor to the working class, and everyone will understand everything.”

That has been the modus operandi of the left for decades. It doesn’t respond to arguments with arguments but with stigmatizing names designed to end debate. As the communications arm of the left, the media conforms perfectly to Lenin’s method. Instead of rebutting the arguments of conservatives, it has found it easier to brand them as “enemies” of science, women, minorities, the poor, and so on.

Whenever editors say that they refuse to acknowledge “two sides” on such matters as “marriage equality” or Darwinism or climate change, they are paying homage to Lenin’s devious politics by shorthand. They pay homage to it whenever they substitute their opinions of the news for actual reporting of the news. Even the squabbling among journalists recently over whether or not to suspend “conventional reporting” in Trump’s case, or whether front-page stories should declare his misstatements “lies,” is a tacit acknowledgment of that politics. With Lenin, the Christiane Amanpours have no use for the peskiness of precise responses. Just call Trump a “liar,” their attitude goes, and “everyone will understand everything.”

But that demagogic shorthand only works as long as Republican politicians defer to it. For years journalists opined self-servingly under the guise of objectivity and got away it because Republicans were too afraid to shatter that illusion of objectivity. They permitted the media to serve as the arbiter of what qualifies as “mainstream,” “extremist,” “racist,” and so forth, and made sure to stay within the media-determined parameters of any discussion.

Donald Trump has blown up that absurd arrangement and is beating the media at its own game. He labels reporters in the same way that they label him. He upends their dishonest framing of debates by treating them as what they are, liberal partisans. His exchange last week with April Ryan, a correspondent for the American Urban Radio Network, captured that perfectly. She asked him a loaded question not as a neutral reporter but as a water-carrier for the Congressional Black Caucus. So he treated her that way. “I’ll tell you what, do you want to set up the meeting?” the president said to her, after she asked if he would meet with the CBC. “Do you want to set up the meeting? Are they friends of yours?” Of course, they are friends of hers and she was trying to score a partisan point for them. Had Trump not deconstructed that for the audience, her question might have done him damage. Instead, it fell flat and looked unserious.

Reporters are thrown by a president who questions them as aggressively as they question him. And they resent that he refuses to accept as “facts” what is nothing more than their biased interpretation of the facts.

Everything they accuse Trump of is on display in their own coverage. One can only laugh at the eruptions of prissy sanctimony over Trump’s tweet calling reporters an “enemy of the people,” given the invective in which they have indulged over the last year. Having called him a despot and worse, who are they to scold anyone on intemperate language?

From ill-mannered reporters come lectures on manners. From partisans come demands for non-partisanship. Almost all of the complaints of the press can be boiled down to one demand: that its conservative targets unilaterally disarm. We fight, you surrender — that is the media’s idea of civility.

So expect the squeals of the media to grow in proportion to Trump’s exposure of its fraudulence. Bret Stephens and company can pompously say that Trump is an opponent of “objectivity itself.” But all that means is that he rejects their phony claims of objectivity and impedes their partisan wishes. In the end, it just means he is not a chump who is going to let them control politics by passing off liberal propaganda as “news” before which all must genuflect.

Contrary to the whining of Jake Tapper at CNN, last week’s press conference was not a distraction from his governance but an essential component of it. He recognizes that his agenda can only move forward if the people tune out the media’s distortions of it. Were Trump to take the media’s advice, he couldn’t govern. The more he neutralizes the media, the more successful he will be.

If he treats it as an opposition party, that’s because it is one. The fury of the media is the fury of exposed partisans, for whom ruling had once come so easy and now is too hard.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2017, 12:50:01 »
The end point of Political Correctness was always to silence the opposition. Now people are refusing to be silenced, and the Left does not like it:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/13/the-totalitarian-consensus/

The Totalitarian Consensus
David Krayden
Contributor
4:34 PM 03/13/2017

Ask yourself just what is it that has angered the anti-Trump forces with such an adamant refusal to acknowledge the results of the last presidential election and infused their protests with a perverse vitality that chronically transmutes non-violent dissent into an angry mob of hate? Well, ask yourself and you will have to admit that it really has nothing to do with just losing an election or assessing President Donald Trump as “unfit” for office or engendering a plague of bigotry and isolationism across America.

The Left hates Trump because he has destroyed the totalitarian consensus that former president Barack Obama had assiduously built over the last eight years and is now in tatters.

The totalitarian consensus is a virulent and pervasive characteristic of the left-wing thought that used to be isolated to its more extreme manifestations but that now dominates and defines liberalism writ large. It does not seek a forum to express liberal ideas, nor does it even seek the hegemony of that liberal discourse; its goal is the elimination of any thoughts and opinions contrary to its prevailing notions and a consensus that there are indeed no other ideas worth considering — and it seeks the total surrender of any dissidents who still proclaim an opposing truth and ultimately a solemn confession that they have been wrong all along and please forgive their foolishness and revisionism.

This is precisely why liberals relish the opportunity to declare various issues as “settled” because they have deemed them to be so. Take the issue of abortion: for the pro-abortion forces that Hillary Clinton represented, it was not only an alienable right for a woman to choose to have an abortion; it was an obvious fact that was beyond discussion. Hence, the abortion movement decided to eradicate the word “rare” from the old Clinton mantra that abortion in America should be “safe, legal and rare.” Why rare if you really embrace abortion as both a sacred right and something to be celebrated?

But along came Trump and rather fearlessly declared Clinton’s position on abortion to be “extreme” because it didn’t represent mainstream opinion. He also shot down a host of liberal assumptions that had been “settled” during Obama’s reign or even before that. He had the audacity to suggest that the climate change swindle might demand some reappraisal, especially given the enormous cost of enforcing this environmental religion. Settled? Forget it.

But try to question the totalitarian consensus on climate change and you immediately confront a world view that demands subservience and labels opponents as “deniers” not worthy of rational consideration.

Is this not more than vaguely reminiscent of another brand of totalitarianism that sought utter and blanket ideological conformity?

It’s neo-Stalinism, isn’t it?

Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin was not just characterized by megalomania, paranoid and consciousness brutality; he also possessed a fervent passion to annihilate all opposition and to have his victims recant for their heretical thinking just before the NKVD bullet hit them in the back of the head. It was not enough that they were wrong; they had to publicly admit that they were wrong through a full confession.

Stalin was adored by the young communists, not only in the Soviet Union but around the world, for his toughness and refusal to tolerate dissent. The millennials who are mindlessly trashing campuses or carefully articulating intellectual obsessions around microaggressions and white privilege would have been lining up to shake Stalin’s hand because here was a man who insisted that everyone comprehend and agree with the party line.

Just as Marxist theory was a fantasy of double-talk that the working people it pretended to represent could not begin to decipher, so the liberals have become the ultimate elitists who have little time for the little people with their mundane lives and archaic belief systems that should have been exorcised decades ago.

Hillary’s anticipated victory was supposed to signal their ultimate silence.

But they have found their voice again and have decided that neither an apology nor acquiescence is in order.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2017, 13:09:46 »
Regarding the above post,

Any predictions as to how future historians will rank the current occupant of the White House, compared to his predecessor?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=obama+12th&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&biw=1536&bih=723&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A2%2F1%2F2017%2Ccd_max%3A&tbm=#spf=1
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 15:35:27 by mariomike »

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2017, 23:32:07 »
Future historians, if they are honest, will compare measurable results such as economic growth, labour participation rates, inflation and so on. It will be more difficult to assess things like foreign policy since starting conditions are different each time, but certainly President Trump laid out a series of ambitious goals, so future historians can assess how well did he do in achieving them. Certainly anyone reading some future history might have to take into account the historian's background; I suspect a traditional academic historian from a Blue State will write a much different history than someone from a Red State background. Time also changes perspectives,  Amity Shlaes "The Forgotten Man" will seem quite shocking to people brought up with the "conventional" narrative of the Great Depression, FDR and the New Deal, even though all the evidence she cites has been in the archives for decades.

Ask again in 2020, and 2024.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2017, 09:13:32 »
Ask again in 2020, and 2024.

Hopefully, his ratings will improve,

"The 37% of Americans who approved of Trump’s job performance in a Saturday Gallup poll was lower than at any point during Barack Obama’s two terms."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/historic-approval-ratings-trump-bad-week-article-1.3003732

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:24 »
Same NYDailynews?

"Clinton has major lead over Trump in poll taken days after final debat"
"Despite scandals and two unpopular presidential candidates, history shows Hillary Clinton will win"
"Clinton takes lead over Trump in latest election poll"

Misinformation is now a full time business, polls are about as trustworthy as a Wainwright D-1  sickchit.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2017, 10:36:52 »
Gallup: "Trump's approval tanks and hits a point that Barrack Obama never reached."
https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=nTLRWLHTJ8eC8QenkYCwAg&gws_rd=ssl#tbs=qdr:w&q=trump+obama+37+gallup&&spf=1

"Donald Trump lost the popular vote by a bigger margin than any other US president in history."

"Trump’s Electoral College Victory Ranks 46th in 58 Elections."

Good luck in 2020!

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2017, 11:51:55 »
*wrong thread
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:58:38 by Jarnhamar »

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2017, 19:26:56 »
Misinformation is now a full time business, polls are about as trustworthy as a Wainwright D-1  sickchit.

Agreed. 

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #70 on: Yesterday at 11:00:05 »

Regarding trust,

"Now he’s President, and he needs support beyond the Breitbart cheering section that will excuse anything."

"Two months into his Presidency, Gallup has Mr. Trump’s approval rating at 39%. No doubt Mr. Trump considers that fake news, but if he doesn’t show more respect for the truth most Americans may conclude he’s a fake President."

Wall Street Journal
Mar. 22, 2017

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:22:13 by mariomike »