Author Topic: Canadian Army headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general  (Read 136207 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
Re: Canadian Army headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general
« Reply #775 on: February 07, 2017, 17:01:59 »
 ;D
Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #776 on: February 07, 2017, 17:09:00 »
Phoenix is off the table as a military pay solution (at least for the near term).  CMP said as much at a town hall several months ago.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #777 on: February 07, 2017, 17:11:44 »
Is there a reason why we couldn't provide a Commanding Officer to the Mali mission?

Is one of the conditions of providing a CO that we also have to provide a contingent of troops also?  The article states that the UN put out a request for CO's for the multinational UN mission - didn't mention anything about troop contributions also. 

Just curious.

We provided Dallaire no soldiers in Rwanda and he was stuck leaning on Bengalis to do his bidding (placing him in a very awkward position).  I wouldn't ever want to see another Canadian Officer placed in such a position.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
A couple of tidbits ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Don't forget, we've got the Phoenix pay system to look forward too soon when we're deployed;  surely that will make live easier for our families back home.
You do know that Phoenix is for civilian pay, right?

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
IIRC, recently Trudeau said wherever we go from now on, it'll be a total package.

The Commander and their troops and a gaggle of government civies.

I envision two problems immediately.

1) It'll be a constant struggle deciding if it's the 'Commander's mission' or some civie government worker's.

2) crap is bound to hit the fan, but instead of the mandate, Canadian soldiers will end up protecting the civies.

:2c:
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
IIRC, recently Trudeau said wherever we go from now on, it'll be a total package.

The Commander and their troops and a gaggle of government civies.

I envision two problems immediately.

1) It'll be a constant struggle deciding if it's the 'Commander's mission' or some civie government worker's.

2) crap is bound to hit the fan, but instead of the mandate, Canadian soldiers will end up protecting the civies.

:2c:

To be honest "soldiers protecting the civies" sounds about right.  The mission should be led by the civvies unless it is a full blown military coalition type effort.

The role of the Canadian military should be, first and foremost, to secure Canadians.  The Military Mission Commander's role then becomes telling the Civvies when it is time to pull pole because he/she can no longer guarantee their safety.
Over, Under, Around or Through.
Anticipating the triumph of Thomas Reid.

"One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”  - James Lovelock

Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. [Ambrose Bierce, 1911]

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
Not to worry.  If our civilians are from the same pattern as those I encountered there, they won't leave Bamako (which is a very well guarded, reasonably safe town).  All administrative decisions were made from the bar, oops sorry,  conference rooms of the hotels.  Military outside of the city are mainly on there own.  The majority of UN troops remain in lager as well.  Just ask the french!

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • Currently posting at Canadian Defence & Foreign Affairs Institute's "3Ds Blog"
milnews.ca:

A couple of tidbits ...

"Canadian aid and foreign affairs officials have made repeated visits to Mali — including one visit just last week — as politicians continue to consider a long-awaited peace operation, the (Toronto) Star has learned...

The acute Norman Spector tweets the Crvena zvezda story as a go:
https://twitter.com/nspector4/status/839801919912632323

Norman Spector‏ @nspector4

Based on this 'exclusive' on the front page of *this* newspaper, my guess is that a peacekeeping mission to Mali is a go...

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
We provided Dallaire no soldiers in Rwanda and he was stuck leaning on Bengalis to do his bidding (placing him in a very awkward position).  I wouldn't ever want to see another Canadian Officer placed in such a position.

Sorry, not sure what you meant by, "[h]e was stuck leaning on Bengalis to do his bidding"?
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Not to worry.  If our civilians are from the same pattern as those I encountered there, they won't leave Bamako (which is a very well guarded, reasonably safe town).  All administrative decisions were made from the bar, oops sorry,  conference rooms of the hotels.  Military outside of the city are mainly on there own.  The majority of UN troops remain in lager as well.  Just ask the french!

There's your problem.  They need a proper drink - a nice glass of brown ale.

"One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”  - James Lovelock

Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. [Ambrose Bierce, 1911]

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
Spelling was never my forte.  Should be laager.  As for our troops being there to protect Canadian civilians.  Mali is a war zone.  There shouldn't be any civilians outside the wire at all and the UN has thousands of them already in place.  A few dozen or even hundreds from Canada won't make any difference at all until there is some sort of peace to administer. 

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Spelling was never my forte.  Should be laager.  As for our troops being there to protect Canadian civilians.  Mali is a war zone.  There shouldn't be any civilians outside the wire at all and the UN has thousands of them already in place.  A few dozen or even hundreds from Canada won't make any difference at all until there is some sort of peace to administer.

No.  You were right the first time.  Lager simply means rest.  Tanks rest up in a lager, even when it is called a leaguer or even a Boer laager.   And lager beers are created by allowing the beer to rest and the yeast to settle.

As for the explicit role of Canadian troops - protecting civvies going outside of the wire in personal protection details (team to platoon size) doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  If the exercise is a "Whole of Government" exercise then it is the civvies that need to be out in front being seen to be "making a difference". 

Now, as to the particular case of Mali - I have no idea how much freedom of movement there is - or if it is better or worse than Northern Ireland 1969.  Or Israel, or Palestine, or any number of other countries where civilian life continues in the midst of armed conflict.

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
There is very little administration outside of Bamako, Timbuktu, and a couple of other major towns that are also garrison locales.  No airways, no navaids, and no controlled airspace except Bamako TMA.  No approaches either as they have stolen all the electronics and melted them down.  Mines are common and planted today where you walked yesterday.  Very few operational schools and clinics and those that are are well-guarded.  The north, is by far the worse.  Bamako itself has several dozen families sharing a single electric socket (when driving watch for extension cords), there is no sewage and the vast majority of locals are refugees from the north; living in tin huts and shacks.  Lots of NGOs running around sucking money and they live fairly well and every set of letters imaginable from the UN have a representative there.  If Canada really wants to spend money wisely, they will not send anyone other than soldiers and pilots.   

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
There is very little administration outside of Bamako, Timbuktu, and a couple of other major towns that are also garrison locales.  No airways, no navaids, and no controlled airspace except Bamako TMA.  No approaches either as they have stolen all the electronics and melted them down.  Mines are common and planted today where you walked yesterday.  Very few operational schools and clinics and those that are are well-guarded.  The north, is by far the worse.  Bamako itself has several dozen families sharing a single electric socket (when driving watch for extension cords), there is no sewage and the vast majority of locals are refugees from the north; living in tin huts and shacks.  Lots of NGOs running around sucking money and they live fairly well and every set of letters imaginable from the UN have a representative there.  If Canada really wants to spend money wisely, they will not send anyone other than soldiers and pilots.

Call me crazy, or anchaos junky, but that sounds like it coukd be a lot of
Fun :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
For certain values of "fun". Otherwise you're in Afghanistan without the mountains, sans battlegroup.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
I really have to say this:

The African mission, if it ever happens, will be a dogs breakfast. As soon as one of our soldiers defends themselves or others, crap will hit the fan. There will be much wailing "how could this happen?" amongst other teeth gnashing and abuse Canada tends to inflict on its military.

Stay. Out. Of. Africa.

My opinion only.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
My opinion only.

I think there's a few more of us that hold the same opinion. 
Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • Currently posting at Canadian Defence & Foreign Affairs Institute's "3Ds Blog"
"Out Of Africa":
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089755/

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
No.  You were right the first time.  Lager simply means rest.  Tanks rest up in a lager, even when it is called a leaguer or even a Boer laager.   And lager beers are created by allowing the beer to rest and the yeast to settle.

As for the explicit role of Canadian troops - protecting civvies going outside of the wire in personal protection details (team to platoon size) doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  If the exercise is a "Whole of Government" exercise then it is the civvies that need to be out in front being seen to be "making a difference". 

Now, as to the particular case of Mali - I have no idea how much freedom of movement there is - or if it is better or worse than Northern Ireland 1969.  Or Israel, or Palestine, or any number of other countries where civilian life continues in the midst of armed conflict.

NI... we had 16 battalions of Infantry, plus atts and dets, in a place half the size of Vancouver Island and still couldn't stop the mess.

No, I don't see too many parallels here....
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
NI... we had 16 battalions of Infantry, plus atts and dets, in a place half the size of Vancouver Island and still couldn't stop the mess.

No, I don't see too many parallels here....

And that was in an English speaking western area.

yikes.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Spectrum

• I'm from the government; I'm here to help you
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
I really have to say this:

The African mission, if it ever happens, will be a dogs breakfast. As soon as one of our soldiers defends themselves or others, crap will hit the fan. There will be much wailing "how could this happen?" amongst other teeth gnashing and abuse Canada tends to inflict on its military.

Stay. Out. Of. Africa.

My opinion only.

I'll agree to disagree on beards - but on this one, you are spot on.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
And that was in an English speaking western area.

yikes.

Well, they apparently spoke some kind of English but most of us couldn't understand them :)

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Well, they apparently spoke some kind of English but most of us couldn't understand them :)

No problem.  The Lancs couldn't understand the Devons neither.