Author Topic: Ontario Politics 2016  (Read 17402 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Ontario Politics 2016
« on: January 13, 2016, 18:47:02 »
Starting a broader, more general political thread than this one (saved for specific "incidents meriting wrath" dealing with specific individuals).

Let's kick this one off, then, with word of a by-election in a previously-Team Blue seat:
Premier Kathleen Wynne says she will ask the lieutenant-governor to call a byelection in the riding of Whitby-Oshawa for Feb. 11.

The seat has been vacant since August, when Progressive Conservative Christine Elliott resigned months after losing the race for party leader to Patrick Brown.

The date of Feb. 11 is just days before the legislature resumes following its winter break.

All three parties have nominated their candidates in Whitby-Oshawa: Niki Lundquist, a labour lawyer, will carry the NDP banner, regional councillor Lorne Coe is the PC candidate, while regional councillor Elizabeth Roy is running for the Liberals.

Though the byelection has not yet been formally called, the Liberals have already been running radio ads featuring Wynne promoting their candidate ...
Let the bashing begin! ;D
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Ontario Politics 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:21:18 »
Holy crap - how bad do things have to get for the BOSS to say "no more"?
In a surprise move, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne announced Tuesday that she is cancelling all of her upcoming private fundraising events and is instructing members of her cabinet to do the same.

Wynne made the announcement in question period Tuesday in response to a query about Liberal party fundraising from PC Leader Patrick Brown.

"I think we have to lead by example and that's why I've made the decision to immediately cancel upcoming private fundraisers that I attend," said Wynne. "I've also asked the same of my ministers. I think it's important that we get this right."

The news comes a week after the Liberals held their biggest fundraiser of the year, raising $2.5 million in one night.

Wynne's announcement also marked a change in her position on fundraising.

At a March 7 press conference, the premier said that "money to run a party has to come from somewhere.

"Every party does low-end fundraising and every party does high-end fundraising," she said. "I think it's part of the democratic process."

But she admitted that changes to how parties raise funds are needed.

"Are they the right rules? Do we need to change who can give what? Absolutely!" she said. "I think we need to look at that."

Her party has been criticized recently for their fundraising tactics, specifically over fundraising quotas for cabinet ministers ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 19:12:15 »
The first thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the good Premier is about to legislate the expansion of permissive use of public funding for party purposes. You know, like a lot of other places once did ....

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 20:06:30 »
Holy crap - how bad do things have to get for the BOSS to say "no more"?

Nothing says responsible leadership like "leading by example" once you've been caught. It's like her photo op with the "black lives matter" protesters the other day... it was so fortuitous that there just happened to be a camera right there to capture the moment! She's taking a page from the PM it appears and "going to the people" (as long as the people agree with her)

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 22:20:51 »
Conclusion: they already have enough money.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Omnia praesidia vestra capta sunt nobis.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

"But injustice is a rule of the service, as you know very well; and since you have to have a good deal of undeserved abuse, you might just as well have it from your friends."  - The Ionian Mission, by Patrick O'Brian.

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 14:43:53 »

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/buried-report-reveals-corporate-giants-gained-the-most-in-ontario-business-supports

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/which-companies-and-unions-donated-big-bucks-to-major-ont-parties-search-our-databases

Quick scan of the above is interesting.

Unions contribute to the Liberals and the NDP.  Businesses contribute to the Liberals and the Conservatives.  Businesses often bet on both horses.  That doesn't particularly bother me - especially given the size of the donations.

But, is it just me, or does it feel wrong, that both the Ontario Provincial Police Association, and The Law Society of Upper Canada both contributed to the Liberal Party and just the Liberal Party?

Shouldn't both the lawyers (and judges) and the coppers be barred from any involvement in politics?  We rely on their neutrality for our system to work effectively.  It doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies to think that the Coppers and the Courts find advantage with one political party.
Over, Under, Around or Through.
Anticipating the triumph of Thomas Reid.

"One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”  - James Lovelock

Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. [Ambrose Bierce, 1911]

Online PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 14:50:00 »

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/buried-report-reveals-corporate-giants-gained-the-most-in-ontario-business-supports

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/which-companies-and-unions-donated-big-bucks-to-major-ont-parties-search-our-databases

Quick scan of the above is interesting.

Unions contribute to the Liberals and the NDP.  Businesses contribute to the Liberals and the Conservatives.  Businesses often bet on both horses.  That doesn't particularly bother me - especially given the size of the donations.

But, is it just me, or does it feel wrong, that both the Ontario Provincial Police Association, and The Law Society of Upper Canada both contributed to the Liberal Party and just the Liberal Party?

Shouldn't both the lawyers (and judges) and the coppers be barred from any involvement in politics?  We rely on their neutrality for our system to work effectively.  It doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies to think that the Coppers and the Courts find advantage with one political party.

Police and Corrections unions in Ontario were actively campaigning for the Liberals in the last election. It is completely unethical for any public service union, or member to campaign for any political party in an official capacity. Private individuals is democracy, the unions buying votes is corruption.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 12:30:47 »
Police and Corrections unions in Ontario were actively campaigning for the Liberals in the last election. It is completely unethical for any public service union, or member to campaign for any political party in an official capacity. Private individuals is democracy, the unions buying votes is corruption.

This why i hate seeing my money that goes into a union being used for this kind of stuff without my consent.
Optio

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 22:45:39 »
I have no idea why the LSUC is paying any money to any political party. They are a governing body with discipline and enforcement responsibilities, and are supposed to be non-political with the whole idea being that they have a mandate to protect public trust in the profession  .... oh wait, never mind....

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 12:37:34 »
In other news, Ontario is looking at banning natural gas for heating...yes, this is actually a thing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-climate-change-1.3584402

Optio

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 13:12:28 »
In other news, Ontario is looking at banning natural gas for heating...yes, this is actually a thing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-climate-change-1.3584402

Prime example of the "Lunatics running the Asylum".
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 13:28:42 »
It won't kick in until 2030, so if the opposition can get itself together, there might be an opportunity to stop this nonsense.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 13:53:42 »
I wonder if they ever heard the story about the goose and the gander?

Ontario, through Hydro-One, just spend god knows how many hundreds of millions to move away from coal and some nuclear over to, guess what: natural gas. !!!!!

Besides, natural gas for home heating is close to being the least polluting fuel. Sure, electricity pollutes less, but you have to generate it somehow. Right now, the percentage of Ontario home electrically heated is so low that for everyone to switch to it would require a very large amount of extra electrical generation capacity: How's that going to be generated?

And wood and oil are much more polluting than natural gas.

In fact, the only efficient "renewable" source of heating (and cooling) for a country like Canada is geothermal. But that is incredibly expansive to retro-fit into a house already built and heated by other means.

Online cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 14:17:19 »
I wonder if they ever heard the story about the goose and the gander?

Ontario, through Hydro-One, just spend god knows how many hundreds of millions to move away from coal and some nuclear over to, guess what: natural gas. !!!!!

Besides, natural gas for home heating is close to being the least polluting fuel. Sure, electricity pollutes less, but you have to generate it somehow. Right now, the percentage of Ontario home electrically heated is so low that for everyone to switch to it would require a very large amount of extra electrical generation capacity: How's that going to be generated?

And wood and oil are much more polluting than natural gas.

In fact, the only efficient "renewable" source of heating (and cooling) for a country like Canada is geothermal. But that is incredibly expansive to retro-fit into a house already built and heated by other means.
Thus always the incoherence of Kathleen Wynne and her predecessor Dalton McGuinty.  The only people dumber than those two and their cabinets are the Ontarians who keep voting the provincial liberals into office.  I wish I could just sit back and watch Ontario suffer under the continued stupidity, but sadly I happen to live in Wynne's demented wonderland.

Online YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 16:31:05 »
geothermal is also totally impractical in an urban setting unless they also maintain larger i.e. greater than half acre lots or install vertical exchange coils which is a very expensive proposition.  Fellow Ontarians, bend over!

Online PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 16:39:27 »
The current Prime Minister's chief advisors were the chiefs of staff for Wynne. If you think this will only be isolated to Ontario.... the Climate Gestapo could be a federal agency soon.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 19:46:05 »
>In other news, Ontario is looking at banning natural gas for heating...yes, this is actually a thing.

I am hoping they pursue that aim enthusiastically.  I expect the result to be a horrible warning, and we need more horrible warnings, preferably at the expense of people in provinces other than my own.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Omnia praesidia vestra capta sunt nobis.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

"But injustice is a rule of the service, as you know very well; and since you have to have a good deal of undeserved abuse, you might just as well have it from your friends."  - The Ionian Mission, by Patrick O'Brian.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 21:37:48 »
>In other news, Ontario is looking at banning natural gas for heating...yes, this is actually a thing.

I am hoping they pursue that aim enthusiastically.  I expect the result to be a horrible warning, and we need more horrible warnings, preferably at the expense of people in provinces other than my own.

This plan also includes more electric cars.  A whole lot more.  It will likely have an adverse effect on the oil industry in this country.
Optio

Online PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 21:51:58 »
This plan also includes more electric cars.  A whole lot more.  It will likely have an adverse effect on the oil industry in this country.

More likely in other countries. We import a LOT of oil that could be produced domestically. 650,000 barrels a day.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 06:44:29 »
Thus always the incoherence of Kathleen Wynne and her predecessor Dalton McGuinty.  The only people dumber than those two and their cabinets are the Ontarians who keep voting the provincial liberals into office.  I wish I could just sit back and watch Ontario suffer under the continued stupidity, but sadly I happen to live in Wynne's demented wonderland.

Well, you might argue that the only people dumber than those two are the Conservatives who kept on selecting unelectable leaders ...

It wasn't that any of them were bad politicians, nor stupid and certainly not dishonest ... the problem was that the PC party of Ontario did not have (still does not have?) a vision that resonates with about half of Ontarians. All three leaders were divisive in their own rights and none could "connect," well enough, with most, mainstream, urban and suburban Ontarians. The Liberals simply out-campaigned (out-promised) and out-politiced the PCs. They, the Liberals, deserved to win back-to-back-to-back majorities because they understood and campaigned on what Ontario, writ large, wanted rather than on what one sector (rural and small town, conservative Ontario) thought Ontario needed.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline ueo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 12:06:27 »
I have to disagree! The one sector is and will remain the TO and its immediate environs. Apparent to all.
Take the tone of the company you are with. Lord Chesterfield

Offline suffolkowner

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 14:44:27 »

Well, you might argue that the only people dumber than those two are the Conservatives who kept on selecting unelectable leaders ...

It wasn't that any of them were bad politicians, nor stupid and certainly not dishonest ... the problem was that the PC party of Ontario did not have (still does not have?) a vision that resonates with about half of Ontarians. All three leaders were divisive in their own rights and none could "connect," well enough, with most, mainstream, urban and suburban Ontarians. The Liberals simply out-campaigned (out-promised) and out-politiced the PCs. They, the Liberals, deserved to win back-to-back-to-back majorities because they understood and campaigned on what Ontario, writ large, wanted rather than on what one sector (rural and small town, conservative Ontario) thought Ontario needed.

ERC I have to agree as the PC's never presented a good alternative to the Liberals for the non partisans. Campaigning on religious schools and cutting jobs were poor decisions in my opinion. Likely the voters will be in the mood for a change and as long as the PC's don't screw it up. Patrick Brown is an interesting choice as he has shown an ability to attract support whether it can be extrapolating to the whole province we will see.

I can't see how we can get off natural gas/propane for heating especially with the poor build quality of housing so that seems like a pipe dream

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 15:00:11 »
Re Natural Gas.

Wasn't the electrification of Ontario tried once already?  I seem to remember when we came over here from Britain in the 60's that Ontario was building electric houses with no basements, hydro dams and nuclear plants.

And yet, here they are 50 years later and 70% of homes are heated by gas.

50 years, 2 generations, I guess that is long enough to forget.  Somebody might have to read a book or something.
Over, Under, Around or Through.
Anticipating the triumph of Thomas Reid.

"One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”  - James Lovelock

Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. [Ambrose Bierce, 1911]

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 15:12:18 »
We had a whole subdivision here that was built totally electric. No gas service. It was all right until McSquinty took over and hydro bills started rising. Now there's lots of wood stoves and fireplaces. People can't afford $1000+/ month hydro bills and no one will buy the houses, nor will the province help upgrade them.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 15:22:12 »
Isn't that the point? They've dug themselves in an electricity sinkhole and now they want your money to get them out. Whether you want to or not.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.