Author Topic: Sex-related Offences Against Army Commanding Officer Withdrawn  (Read 33761 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Sex-related Offences Against Army Commanding Officer Withdrawn
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2016, 12:05:01 »
Someone does not need to be found guilty in order for the court of public opinion to ruin their career and life.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2016, 14:36:08 »
In fact, DMCA will be conducting an administrative review on this case, as they do in all cases where such charges have been laid, and may direct administrative action, depending on the circumstances.

Indeed. I think people are failing to recognize that administrative action can still be taken up to and including booting him out.

I would be curious to know how much info is being shared (or allowed to be shared) between the Crown and the member's Chain of Command. While something simple like the loss of a key witness could have caused the charges to be dropped, it doesn't mean that someone viewing this from his Chain of Command, if they have all the info from the Crown, can't decide that on the balance of probabilities (the burden of proof for administrative action) he did something he ought not to have done...
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2016, 14:54:26 »
Brihard thanks to you and other others who take the time to explain the law and how this stuff works it's really interesting.
What he said, to all who provided input.
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2016, 14:54:54 »
I think people are failing to recognize that administrative action can still be taken up to and including booting him out.

I know they let guys go if their judgment is called into question due to off-duty conduct where I used to work.
That includes Tweeting and social media. Or an off-duty FHRITP on-camera stunt etc...

No charges are necessary. 

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2016, 14:55:44 »
I know they let guys go if ...
Who is "they"?

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2016, 14:56:59 »
Who is "they"?

where I used to work.

From what Ballz says, the military may have the same "administrative action"?

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2016, 15:02:03 »
So, "they" is Hydro One?

Unlike that organization, the CAF follows a system with procedural fairness.  The individual is given the opportunity to see the case against them, and to make replies. 

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2016, 15:10:58 »
So, "they" is Hydro One?

No.

Unlike that organization, the CAF follows a system with procedural fairness.  The individual is given the opportunity to see the case against them, and to make replies.

Ours go to arbitration. The individual is given the opportunity to see the case against them, and to make replies. The union represents them at the hearing.
The Arbitrator makes the final decision.
Not the employer. Not the union.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 15:15:22 by mariomike »

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2016, 15:20:10 »
From what Ballz says, the military may have the same "administrative action"?

Administrative action is just a blanket term for things like remedial measures, administrative reviews, etc. The important part in this is that its separate from legal/judicial/disciplinary action, and the burden of proof is on a "balance of probabilities" as opposed to "beyond a reasonable doubt."

So as DAP said, an administrative review (AR) will be conducted to determine how to deal with the member going forward. If that AR determines that, on the balance of probabilities, the member committed these sex-related offences, then there is a wide array of possibilities available to deal with it. One of those possibilities in this case is most definitely a release.

So, all that to say, this isn't even a matter of just being unofficially blackballed for the rest of his career... there are still official things that can take place..
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2016, 00:02:13 »
Administrative action is just a blanket term for things like remedial measures, administrative reviews, etc. The important part in this is that its separate from legal/judicial/disciplinary action, and the burden of proof is on a "balance of probabilities" as opposed to "beyond a reasonable doubt."

So as DAP said, an administrative review (AR) will be conducted to determine how to deal with the member going forward. If that AR determines that, on the balance of probabilities, the member committed these sex-related offences, then there is a wide array of possibilities available to deal with it. One of those possibilities in this case is most definitely a release.

So, all that to say, this isn't even a matter of just being unofficially blackballed for the rest of his career... there are still official things that can take place..

Correct. Well said.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".