Author Topic: Sea King helicopter lands near grocery store  (Read 23241 times)

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
Re: Sea King helicopter lands near grocery store
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 21:28:54 »
For want of a nail.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 23:14:21 »
Fortunately, aviation technicians are less worried about the actual size of a critical component than they are of ensuring that all critical parts, be they large or small, are properly maintained and serviced.  In a helicopter, there are over 10,000 'nails' for which one could be left wanting.

BZ to the crew for responding to the emergency properly am not letting potential perceptions get in the way of sound decision making.

Regards
G2G

Offline PAdm

• Rate Post
  • Death - Death by tray...
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 01:35:45 »
And, by definition, tat was not an accident. It was an emergency, yes, but no damage resulted.

Accident vs emergency - I suspect the difference is the condition of your shorts once it is all over.  ;)
Cheers,
PAdm

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 07:48:08 »
If a part fails, but no significant damage occurs as a result, it is simply a part failure and not an accident.

If the machine had hit hard, rolled over, and beaten itself to death due to an over-reaction or other error on behalf of the crew, it would have qualified as an accident.

If your tire bursts while driving down the highway and you pull over onto the shoulder of the road, that is simply a burst tire and not an accident.

If the burst tire causes you to veer into the ditch and destroy your car, that would be an accident.

Offline PAdm

• Rate Post
  • Death - Death by tray...
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 20:31:42 »
Cheers Loachman for the info. But I do believe DFS should look into the poop factor. Could be a 3rd dimension in the risk matrix. I can see next year's flight safety briefing - "while the risk was deemed low, Bloggins crapped himself".   :nod:
Cheers,
PAdm

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 09:47:42 »
CH124 412  aka "Hormuz Harry" from the first Gulf War.  She was a good flyer during that time.  I spent a lot of hours with her and the others.  I still love the SeaKing and what the crews do with them.

Sounds like one of the primary flight hydraulic systems failed (Pri or Aux), when one shuts down for any reason it automatically turns the other on if selected off and gives warnings.  A pretty good system, and I am glad all are ok.

Cheers
Pop

I can't think of a more reliable helo than the old girl. Igor got the hyd system right. Having a pri failure and still having the confidence to land near people is only something the Seaking could deliver.

Pop,
Good to see you're still going strong.
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.