Author Topic: Declining an offer (merged)  (Read 35347 times)

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
I guess he will ask the reason why , maybe letting you know that infantry is very hard to get in nowadays , selections are slim , so maybe try to convince you to take the offer , but if you tell them the same thing you are telling us , it wouldn't be a problem

like I said , this is MY GUESS
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
maybe letting you know that infantry is very hard to get in nowadays , selections are slim

One thing I will add is that I think Veh Tech would offer more employment opportunities to you upon release than the other two trades.

But, in the end, the choice is yours and if you really can't see yourself doing that for five years, then you were right to reject the offer.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
Bare in mind , that we are not here to convince you of anything , just letting you know the details about it , If you want to go cbt engineer or infantry , and your willing to wait for the opportunity , then do it !

we are just saying the fact of the offer !
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
Id only be 23 after my contract is up... plenty of time to pursue another trade.  Is it possible to switch into infantry after serving my contract length?

Edit: When I applied for infantry, the Sgt at the CFRC said there were hundreds of open spots... Is it just the amount of applications that hinder your chances?

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
Id only be 23 after my contract is up... plenty of time to pursue another trade.  Is it possible to switch into infantry after serving my contract length?

it is possible , but VERY unlikely ......

basically you join to be infantry , your gonna stick with it

My friend joined as a Armoured , for the past 4 years hes been asking to switch to Infantry , didn't happen yet , always depends if the trades needs people or not ..... but tell you , if you join , this is gonna be your job , period !

Offline i_want_a_pmq

• Rate Post
Thanks e-friends,  I suppose I am just looking for an issue where there isn't one!  What does the MCC ask you when he calls? (what does MCC stand for...if anyone knows)

Military career counsellor

MikeL

it is possible , but VERY unlikely ......

basically you join to be infantry , your gonna stick with it

My friend joined as a Armoured , for the past 4 years hes been asking to switch to Infantry , didn't happen yet , always depends if the trades needs people or not ..... but tell you , if you join , this is gonna be your job , period !

Many soldiers have been able to OT out of Infantry and into a variety of other trades. A few years ago there was even a program(SVOTP?) encouraging Infantry NCMs to OT. Getting into the trade through a OT can be difficult, but not impossible. The manning for Infantry could be a different situation in a few years compared to what it is today.

Also, if you join as Infantry that doesn't mean you have to stick with it for your entire career. There are many former Infantry NCMs that are now in a variety of trades across the Army, RCAF and RCN. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:56:21 by -Skeletor- »

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
Many soldiers have been able to OT out of Infantry and into a variety of other trades.

you still shouldn't consider this a career path !

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
Military career counsellor

Thanks for the info!

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
Many soldiers have been able to OT out of Infantry and into a variety of other trades. A few years ago there was even a program(SVOTP?) encouraging Infantry NCMs to OT. Getting into the trade through a OT can be difficult, but not impossible. The manning for Infantry could be a different situation in a few years compared to what it is today.

Also, if you join as Infantry that doesn't mean you have to stick with it for your entire career. There are many former Infantry NCMs that are now in a variety of trades across the Army, RCAF and RCN.

But what about the other way around... I can't see the army letting someone who they spent a lot time and money on training to fix vehicles just up and leave

Offline UnwiseCritic

• Rate Post
But what about the other way around... I can't see the army letting someone who they spent a lot time and money on training to fix vehicles just up and leave

If you finished your contract they won't stop you. You will have done your time. But seeing as you have doubts about it... I wouldn't recommend it. The consequences of accepting a job for 5 years that you don't want to do will outweigh turning one down. In your case at the moment it's a non-issue. Go for infantry or combat engineer and just keep pushing for it, don't give them an inch. Recruiters fill quotas, not look out for your best interests. But they will take your interests into account.
"He who hates correction is stupid!"

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
.... Go for infantry or combat engineer and just keep pushing for it, don't give them an inch ....
You'll just have to be prepared to wait longer.

Just to reinforce what others here have said, it's possible to change trades, but a quick search of the forums will show many others harping on the same themes:
1)  it can suck doing something you don't want to do waiting to maybe end up doing something you do want to do; and
2)  it'll suck more if (like in many cases) it takes a looooooooong time to VOT - and maybe still come up with an "no" at the end of that road.

Good luck in your efforts!
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Knight13

• Rate Post
thanks for the info everyone.  The MCC hasn't called yet, so he probably won't call today.  Just gonna keep pushing for infantry

Offline Dark Chivalry

• Rate Post
Declining an offer
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 16:06:57 »
I have received an offer for my second choice on my application form. All the trades I applied for are interesting to me, however I did carefully rank order them. I inquired about my first choice trade and was informed it is closed until the next budget is released (Apr. 1).

If I decline this initial offer, does it take further offers of this trade off the table? When the new budget drops and updated recruiting goals are released, are qualified candidates potentially re-offered jobs? I just don't want to skunk my whole application by potentially holding out for my #1 trade. I want into the CF, and I'd accept this offer if I knew my odds of getting my #1 are/will be nil. I would also accept this same trade if offered again after the new budget is released, because my #1 is closed or not hiring for whatever reason. I also know that #2 is or was high demand this year, I don't know the status of #1 in the past, but it was not high demand this year.

It just seems like waiting a couple of extra months for my #1 is worth it, but not if it compromises everything, including my chances of getting another offer at all.

For reference:
#1 Comm Rsch
#2 ATIS Tech

Any advice or statistics would be greatly appreciated. Has #1 ever been high demand, or are spaces in that trade few and far between as it is?

Offline Captain Mark

• Rate Post
Re: Declining an offer
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 16:07:42 »
Hello Dark Chivalry,

There are approximately thirteen positions for Comm Rsch that will be available in the fiscal year. If you really want that occupation, you can decline your current offer and request to be put back on the merit list for Comm Rsch, when it opens.

You need to speak directly with your recruiter in order to get a better idea on your chances of being accepted for Comm Rsch, when it opens again.

Offline ShadyBrah

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 16:24:34 »
I'll just drop my question here since it's related..

If an offer is declined, how does that affect future offers for the same occupation. For example, I have to turn down my #1 pick for valid reasons, am I able to be put back onto the  merit list down the  road, and will the original declined offer negatively affect my file at all?

Offline Captain Mark

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 09:51:30 »
If you have a valid reason for declining an offer, you can reapply for the same occupation later on. Keep in mind that you will have to re-submit some of the documentation as it will most likely expire.

Offline qwaszxx

• Rate Post
Declining an offer
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 19:23:59 »
Hello,

I applied for the CAF with 2 trade preferences - ACISS and ATIS. I was recently offered a position for ACISS but after some thinking, I decided to decline the employment offer and instead, wait until I receive an offer for ATIS.

Will declining the employment offer automatically close my whole application file and take me off the merit list for ATIS? I didn't clarify with the recruiter that I would like to remain on the merit list for ATIS. Now I'm worried that since I didn't clarify, they would assume I'm no longer interested in the CAF and close my file.

Thanks.

Offline qwaszxx

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 19:25:59 »
Also, to any recruiters that may happen to see this - when is the next selection date for ATIS and how many positions are remaining?

Offline Warrant Officer Robert

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2015, 10:03:39 »
If you are made an offer of employment and choose to reject the offer, you must ask your Recruiting Detachment to have your file re-merit listed for your remaining occupation choices.

While you do have the opportunity to list up to three occupation choices, you must keep in mind that by doing so, means that you are willing to accept an offer of employment for any of the three choices.

Offline Kayona4

• Rate Post
Offer Declined
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2016, 15:05:56 »
Hello.
I recently declined an offer I was given within the forces. I declined because I am terrified of going to sea.
There was no way my offer could have been switched to AF, and that upset me but I understand. Before I made my final decision to decline the offer the recruiter did not seem very impressed that I was leading towards that direction. When I did officially decline she told me she could close my file. That scared me. I asked for it not to be closed because I am very serious about joining but I believe in the end she just accepted my decline. However, she told me I may not get an offer again. Is this true?  I did very well on all aspects of the process. I have confidence I will get the trade and element I am after but it felt like because I declined I wouldn't be offered anything else.

Does declining my offer effect future offers?  My reason was simply I'm terrified of open water. AF or Army, I probably would have accepted. Navy just isn't for me.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Offer Declined
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2016, 10:04:44 »
Hello.
I recently declined an offer I was given within the forces. I declined because I am terrified of going to sea.
There was no way my offer could have been switched to AF, and that upset me but I understand. Before I made my final decision to decline the offer the recruiter did not seem very impressed that I was leading towards that direction. When I did officially decline she told me she could close my file. That scared me. I asked for it not to be closed because I am very serious about joining but I believe in the end she just accepted my decline. However, she told me I may not get an offer again. Is this true?  I did very well on all aspects of the process. I have confidence I will get the trade and element I am after but it felt like because I declined I wouldn't be offered anything else.

Does declining my offer effect future offers?  My reason was simply I'm terrified of open water. AF or Army, I probably would have accepted. Navy just isn't for me.

If you are NOT satisfied with the offer of employment, you can one of two things.  1) Ask if it is possible to have the environmental assignment changed;  or if this is not an option 2) Decline the offer of employment, inform your Recruiting Detachment that you are NOT interested in the Naval Environment and ask that your file be re-merit listed and considered for ONLY Army or Airforce.

You should be put right back on the Merit List and eligible for a future offer but at this time of the year, pickings may be slim, so don't expect anything until mid-Mar or later.

Keep in mind that your chosen occupation is subject to service across all environments of the CF regardless of environmental assignment.    Good luck!
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline ConstableMurtis

• Rate Post
Chances of getting a second offer?
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2016, 15:56:20 »
Hi all,

I recently got an offer for Armoured Crewman, with BMQ starting July 25 and enrolment on July 14. Unfortunately, I am not able to comfortably commit 100% because of life circumstances at the moment. If I were to decline this offer, what would be my chances of getting a second offer down the road?
Recruiting Center: Saskatoon/Regina
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Armoured Crewman
Trade Choice 2: Combat Engineer
Trade Choice 3: Artillery Soldier
Application Date: October 9, 2015
Fitness Test completed: October 22, 2015
CFAT completed: November 4, 2015 (PASSED)
Interview/Medical completed: November 19, 2015
Merit Listed: TBD
Position offered: TBD
Enrollment/swearing in: TBD
BMQ: TBD

Offline Scarlett

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Chances of getting a second offer?
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2016, 17:47:24 »
I was made an offer for the May 2nd BMQ. I wasn't able to attend that date due to life circumstances. I asked for a deferral for a later BMQ date and explained my situation. They decided that it was best to have the offer declined and re-merit list me, I was called 6 days later with an offer for the June BMQ which I am able to attend. I would suggest asking for a deferral to a date that you can attend first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Chances of getting a second offer?
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 09:22:23 »
Hi all,

I recently got an offer for Armoured Crewman, with BMQ starting July 25 and enrolment on July 14. Unfortunately, I am not able to comfortably commit 100% because of life circumstances at the moment. If I were to decline this offer, what would be my chances of getting a second offer down the road?

You would be in the same position as Scarlett has mentioned above.  If you choose to decline an offer of employment, you must then inform your Recruiting Detachment of what you wish to have done with your current application.  You may either have your application CLOSED (and re-Open it at a later date) or ask to be re-merit listed and considered for an offer of employment at a later date.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........