Author Topic: Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)  (Read 491027 times)

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)
« Reply #875 on: February 18, 2016, 19:07:21 »
In BC I would say the changes at most Reserves is for the most part in the positive. Often the want and will is there, just not the jobs or the knowledge.

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #876 on: September 15, 2016, 13:33:18 »
No doubt the press will bring up the 1990 Oka crisis again:

Canadian Press

Indigenous communities should have power to call in the military: chief
[The Canadian Press]
September 14, 2016

Indigenous communities should have power to call in the military: chief

WINNIPEG — Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan is considering a request to give First Nations the power to directly call in the military when their treaty, environmental and other rights are threatened.

Ron Swain, vice-chief with the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples, told Sajjan during consultations with indigenous groups Wednesday that aboriginal communities deserve the same rights as provincial governments, which have the authority under the National Defence Act to call in the military to fight civil unrest and during other crises.

"We believe, in protecting our sovereign territory and our issues around environmental concerns, we should be able to trigger the same response and have our Armed Forces defending our treaties and our territories," Swain said during a break in the closed-door meeting in Winnipeg that included about a dozen aboriginal leaders and academics.

(...SNIPPED)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 13:36:08 by S.M.A. »
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #877 on: September 16, 2016, 06:35:16 »
DefMin tones down expectations in an interview with the Winnipeg Free Press:
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan threw a reality check on the notion he is considering giving direct power to First Nations to call in the military when they feel their rights or communities are being threatened.

Sajjan met with indigenous leadership in Winnipeg Wednesday as part of his national defence policy review. At that meeting Ron Swain, vice-chief of the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples, which represents all off-reserve status and non-status First Nations, Métis and Southern Inuit, raised the issue of needing the military to come to the aid of indigenous peoples trying to defend their rights or territories.

That could, for example, include protests against pipelines or other development, taking place without First Nations' consent.

After the meeting Wednesday, Sajjan's office was non-committal but indicated the request was one of a whole host of things Sajjan would consider as part of the policy review. But Sajjan told the Free Press in an interview Thursday he didn't think the system needs to be changed.

"We do have a good system in place and they just need to be reassured the system that is there will serve them as a priority," Sajjan said.

The Canadian military is deployed at home almost entirely to help during natural disasters such as the Winnipeg flood in 1997, to help fight wildfires such as last spring's disastrous blaze that razed parts of Fort McMurray, Alta., or the much maligned call for help from Toronto during an extended snow storm in 1998.

He said most of the assets and infrastructure to help is kept at the municipal or provincial level. "The military is there as a last resort," he said.

Sajjan said the military is there to help First Nations affected as well but he said the process in place is for the province to seek help from Public Safety Canada, which has the lead on emergency preparedness. If the public safety minister feels additional resources are needed, he then turns to the defence minister to send in some troops ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bass ackwards

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
I'll put this here for now rather than starting yet another white versus red topic.

This is from the CBC and reproduced here under the fair dealing provisions of the Copyright Act:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/city-advocates-defend-anti-racism-billboards-1.4188754

City of Saskatoon, advocates defend anti-racism billboards
'It's not staged actors, nor did the city make up those quotes'
By Charles Hamilton, CBC News Posted: Jul 04, 2017 3:00 AM CT Last Updated: Jul 04, 2017 3:00 AM CT

A billboard that drew the ire of some Saskatoon residents online is being heralded as a much-needed conversation starter about racism.

The sign on Circle Drive is part of the city's campaign called "I am the Bridge" — a multimedia effort designed to share people's stories and insights on their experiences with racism.

One particular billboard shows a photo of a man who appears to be white and a quote that reads "I have to acknowledge my own privilege and racist attitudes."

Sheelah Mclean, a co-founder of Idle No More and an anti-opression educator, says she understands why billboards about white privilege and racism make some people uncomfortable.

'There are going to be people who feel guilt'
- Sheelah McLean
"There are going to be people who feel guilt, there are going to be people who are going to feel sadness that they didn't know this information, they had never been taught it. There are going to be people who feel anger. It's all called backlashing," McLean said.

Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations Chief Bobby Cameron agrees. He says the billboard is part of ongoing and important conversations concerning race and prejudice around the province.

"It's a good thing if it's generating discussion. There will always be some negative comments and everything else. But we can pray for them and we certainly do," Cameron said.

Cameron pointed to commitments and agreements the FSIN has made in recent months with several Saskatchewan municipalities as evidence that things are moving in the right direction.

"We cannot change the attitudes or opinions of the 50-year-olds or the 60-year-olds who have always hated people for their skin colour. We cannot change them. But we can start focusing and educating those children to understand that we are in the province, this world together," Cameron said.

The City of Saskatoon spearheaded the campaign.

During the launch, Mayor Charlie Clark said the campaign was about "building relationships and a shared understanding."

Backlash part of the 'myth of meritocracy'

McLean says decades of research and experiences of aboriginal and other visible minority Canadians has shown that white privilege is real.

"The idea that white privilege doesn't exist or that not everybody benefits from it who is light skinned is actually false, it's a fallacy," McLean said.

She says as a white person she understands how being confronted with that knowledge can be upsetting for some. McLean herself participated in the campaign by offering her own thoughts on racism.   

She says the "myth of meritocracy" — the idea that light skinned people get to where they are solely because of things like hard work — is simply not true.

While she says many light skinned or white people may have felt oppression in one form or another, they have not felt racial oppression. Educating people about privilege and racism, she says, is what the campaign is all about. .

City defends billboards

The project asked citizens to submit videos sharing their experiences, and the most powerful quotes were used to create the campaign.

"It's real people who live in Saskatoon. It's not staged actors, nor did the city make up those quotes," said Lynne Lacroix, the city's director of community development.

"These billboards were not intended to suggest that all people have to do the same thing or that all people are racist."

The city's website points out the fact that racism exists in Saskatoon. One cited example is the fact a large majority of Aboriginal people in Saskatoon agree with the statement  "I think others behave in an unfair/negative way towards Aboriginal people." That came from a research project called 'Urban Aboriginal Peoples Study: Saskatoon Report' done back in 2011.

Lacroix said she is pleased the campaign is creating discussion around racism in Saskatoon.

"Also encouraging the rest of the community to gain a broader understanding of the nature of racism because that is what is really critical for us all to recognize, to know what racism is, in order to address it," she said.

The article has a photo of the offending billboard with the racist ******* earnest-looking middle-aged white male confessing his guilt.

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
Another example of Socially Acceptable Racism. As long as it is directed to White people.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post

City of Saskatoon, advocates defend anti-racism billboards
'It's not staged actors, nor did the city make up those quotes'
By Charles Hamilton, CBC News Posted: Jul 04, 2017 3:00 AM CT Last Updated: Jul 04, 2017 3:00 AM CT

A billboard that drew the ire of some Saskatoon residents online is being heralded as a much-needed conversation starter about racism.

The sign on Circle Drive is part of the city's campaign called "I am the Bridge" — a multimedia effort designed to share people's stories and insights on their experiences with racism.

One particular billboard shows a photo of a man who appears to be white and a quote that reads "I have to acknowledge my own privilege and racist attitudes."

Sheelah Mclean, a co-founder of Idle No More and an anti-opression educator, says she understands why billboards about white privilege and racism make some people uncomfortable.

'There are going to be people who feel guilt'
- Sheelah McLean
"There are going to be people who feel guilt, there are going to be people who are going to feel sadness that they didn't know this information, they had never been taught it. There are going to be people who feel anger. It's all called backlashing," McLean said.

I really can't stand that narrative.
What you're feeling is guilt.
You're uncomfortable.
You need to acknowledge your privilege.

The worst are white people with a holier than thou attitude trying to enlighten the misguided masses. 

I have zero guilt and I'm not uncomfortable.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
I personally can only be held responsible for all the bad things that happened to anyone who isn't me since 1968, when I emigrated from England. This is typical immigrant bashing, and I'm starting to feel repressed.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
My English side is feeling guilty for oppressing my Scottish side.

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
My English side is feeling guilty for oppressing my Scottish side.

Thats ok, the Scottish got a better deal than the Irish.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
+300
Optio

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer

I really can't stand that narrative.
What you're feeling is guilt.
You're uncomfortable.
You need to acknowledge your privilege.

The worst are white people with a holier than thou attitude trying to enlighten the misguided masses. 

I have zero guilt and I'm not uncomfortable.

Propaganda, it doesn't care how you feel as an individual the attempt is to effect a society elite and it's working.  Ask a South African army veteran about giving your all and being screwed by your own elites. 
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
I want my ancient lands restored to me by, and an apology from, those f&*#ing Normans.

It's been almost a thousand years, and still nothing.

Online jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
Re: Canada's First Nations
« Reply #887 on: July 04, 2017, 13:59:11 »
I want my ancient lands restored to me by, and an apology from, those f&*#ing Normans.

It's been almost a thousand years, and still nothing.

Hey, hey!!  Don't go blaming my great great ......  he was just another economic migrant, going where his employer posted him.  It's not his fault that he worked directly for the big boss as his Cup Bearer. Sheesh!

Online jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
Thats ok, the Scottish got a better deal than the Irish.

Apparently after failing in an attempt to take the Scottish Crown, some of my ancestors went to Ireland to shag the lasses there, the name "McWilliam" starts to pop up in the family tree of the Irish female pirate Grainne.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
I personally can only be held responsible for all the bad things that happened to anyone who isn't me since 1968, when I emigrated from England. This is typical immigrant bashing, and I'm starting to feel repressed.

WAIT!  Trudeau says that "you, as an immigrant are more Canadian that the rest of us.  We take it for granted.  You actually value it."
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Where did he say that?

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
F**-ing  hell. You just gotta love that guy eh?

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
F**-ing  hell. You just gotta love that guy eh?

But that hair............ :facepalm:
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
WAIT!  Trudeau says that "you, as an immigrant are more Canadian that the rest of us.  We take it for granted.  You actually value it."

Cool!  Because my mothers side is from Noddingham (her father immigrated) and my fathers family came over from Scotland.   ;D

That means I am also special!   :peace:
"Stop telling everyone I'm an *******; I like to see the look on their face when they realize it for themselves..."

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
Cool!  Because my mothers side is from Noddingham (her father immigrated) and my fathers family came over from Scotland.   ;D

Ahem, "Nottingham ". And it's pronounced NOTTING-um, not notting-HAM. Just a public service announcement.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman

Actually NO.....Your mother is special......You are one of those who takes everything Canadian for granted.   [Xp
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
>WAIT!  Trudeau says that "you, as an immigrant are more Canadian that the rest of us.  We take it for granted.  You actually value it."

Relax.  Trudeau only speaks for himself and the federal government of Canada; he does not speak for you or me or anyone else who does not expressly consent to him doing so.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Omnia praesidia vestra capta sunt nobis.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

"Yet another in a long line of books about how libertarians are plotting to enslave you by devolving power to the individual and leaving you alone" - Warren Meyer, author of Coyote Blog

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Relax.  Trudeau only speaks for himself and the federal government of Canada; he does not speak for you or me or anyone else who does not expressly consent to him doing so.

So you are saying that he is only a "talking head".